Anyone filed a FOIA request?

Hannah7

Registered Users (C)
I learned that one is entitled to see his/her immigration file based on Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.

Has anyone done that?

Is it worth doing that before the naturalization?

I did, but after naturalisation just to have my records before letting my relationship with CIS go dormant. If you think there might be hurdles in your immigration history, then FOIA might help you find out what those are. This is unlikely though. A lot of stuff is blacked out or withheld, and even stuff they do give you will likely be incomprehensible to you because you don't know the forms and way they store information. What they WILL likely give you is your old application forms (scans, of course) in case you need to know what you submitted in the past. Remember that you have to submit a FOIA request to each agency - it's not one request for ALL your government records.

Hey cafeconleche, thank you for your input.

Could you share more info? Was it worth it (filing) do you think?

Also what gov agencies should I query? I know I did noting wrong ever, but I am kinda of curious what digital/paper trace I have left during all those years I am here.

I did a CBP and CIS FOIPA, I think. And maybe FBI. FBI had nothing on me (that they could share, anyway). The other two had entry and exit records, old applications, all correspondence, etc. I guess it's useful in general. For example, the entry and exit records will be useful when I apply for my child's CRBA. But, I think you can wait until you naturalise, and then do the FOIPA with CIS so the record will be complete. It can take upto a year, anyway.

I have a question regarding getting "A-File" through FOIA - do you get copies of all applications (140/485/H1/etc) and also all the supporting documents for those applications (e.g. copies of submitted resumes, paystubs, education, experience docs etc.).

I read somewhere that 140/H1 and related documents are owned by the petitioner and the beneficiary cannot get them.

Can you please let me know if this is true.

Thanks.

I filed FOIA for my I-130 file and they processed the request pretty quickly and sent me the information on a nice, official looking CD/DVD.

That CD is so full of random documents, and they are repeated! It's very confusing!

Also, I thought I'd mention that I couldn't find the entry and exit records when I was getting ready to file for my child's CRBA, but college and school transcripts were enough (along with my list of entry and exit dates).

I am digging up this thread. I going to filing FOIA to USCIS so that I can have a good record about that they have on me. Can anyone tell me how long did it take?

I need to be careful what address I am gonna give them in a case the requests takes years.

Final thoughts before I am ready to file FOIA with the USCIS. I would like to get a copy of my entire A file.

I wonder, how long does it take? What is your experience, do you think there are any cons doing FOIA after naturalization?
Somebody said it is better to fly under radar.