I-134 Affidavit of support sponsor's responsibilities

When I get my green card, my friend signed a I-134 affidavit of support for me.

I understand that if I become public charge, he might be held financially responsible and have to pay back the government.

Things listed that counts as public charge includes, getting food stamps welfare etc.

But what about things like

1: Student loans
2:Unpaid Hospital Bills

Will these make my I-134 sponsor responsible?

Yeah, the I-134 may not be legally enforceable it however doesn't mean anyone who submitted it in support of their petition can start applying for and obtaining public services they're otherwise not eligible for. Just thought it's important to make that clarification.

Yeah, the I-134 may not be legally enforceable it however doesn't mean anyone who submitted it in support of their petition can start applying for and obtaining public services they're otherwise not eligible for. Just thought it's important to make that clarification.

So what if I am eligible to apply for those benefits? Will they go after my sponsor? (student loan, welfare, foodstamp etc)

When I get my green card, my friend signed a I-134 affidavit of support for me.

I understand that if I become public charge, he might be held financially responsible and have to pay back the government.

Things listed that counts as public charge includes, getting food stamps welfare etc.

But what about things like

1: Student loans
2:Unpaid Hospital Bills

Will these make my I-134 sponsor responsible?

Things like student loans or unpaid hospital bills do not constitute public charge. They are charges the service providers will come after the person who obtained those services directly if the payments are not made as at when due.

So what if I am eligible to apply for those benefits? Will they go after my sponsor? (student loan, welfare, foodstamp etc)

It's a bad idea to go to the States with a public welfare mindset. There are plenty of jobs available, there is no need to come planning on using public assistance...

If you're eligible to receive welfare/food stamp assistance, no one will come after you or your sponsor because you are eligible to receive them. However as a new LPR, you do know you shouldn't be applying for welfare/food stamps assistance just became the I-134 you submitted isn't enforceable?

Again, obtaining a student loan does not constitute public.

ok guys calm down. I never said I am going to apply for anything like that. I have a job in the US and I am doing good.

I am just trying to understand my situation with my I-134 sponsor, and have no intention to apply for welfare/foodstamp.

ok guys calm down. I never said I am going to apply for anything like that. I have a job in the US and I am doing good.

I am just trying to understand my situation with my I-134 sponsor, and have no intention to apply for welfare/foodstamp.

Totally calm here dude. :rolleyes::)

Totally calm here dude. :rolleyes::)

Same here :rolleyes::rolleyes: Not freaking out (it's not my cup of tea) if someone who isn't eligible for welfare decides to take advantage of the system simply because no one will come after them or their sponsor. I will not be facing the music with them.