• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hi Mom,
I'm a DV 2016 selectee and had submitted paper work for an AOS. We (me and wife) already had our biometrics done a month and half back. In mid August we did and Infopass and the officer told us that the case is ready for scheduling, and we told the officer that DV based AOS are time critical and she immediately took down our case numbers and met with the scheduling supervisor and alerted that our case is time sensitive. She also told us to come back at the end of August if we do not hear from USCIS. Now my problem is we are almost at the end of August, and we have not received an interview letter from USCIS. And I was looking to schedule an Infopass as suggested by the officer. But the problem is there aren't any appointments available for the specific field office that our case is with. Is it ok if I schedule an infopass with another field office? Also is there anything else we can do get an interview?

Thank you,

Dylan.

An INFOPASS with any other FO outside of your assigned FO is useless - the INFOPASS has to be with the FO with your case file.

Some FOs are a lot more busy than others do their INFOPASS slots fill out rather quickly. What I've often suggested to people (and it's been known to work since some have returned to confirm that) is to regularly check at different times of the day. Previously unavailable slots often show up when others cancel their previously scheduled appointments for one reason or the other.

After endless number of sleepless nights, I am here to say that my case status has changed to New Card Is Being Produced. Thank you Sm1smom, Britsimon for the incredible support.

Good luck everyone!

My timeline:

Case Number: 2016AF33xxxx
Current: June
ASC: Dallas, TX
FO: Dallas, TX
Chicago Lockbox: 06/06/2016
Package Delivery Courier: USPS Priority 06/01/2016
Acceptance Text: 06/20/2016
Check Cashed: N/A
NOA Letter Date: 06/24/2016
Bio Letter Received Date: 07/01/2016
Bio Scheduled Date: 07/15/2016
Bio Walk-In Date: 07/15/2016
Acceptance - Bio Received: 12
Interview Letter Received: N/A (Called me via phone)
Interview Date: 08/05/2016
Interview Date - Bio Date: 21
CPO: 08/26/2016
Comments: Interview took 3-5 minutes. IO double checked my name, dob, marital status. Asked him about I-551 stamp so I can travel, he said I'll have to wait until I get either my AP or GC.
DS-260: 05/15/2016
2NL Received: 10/01/2015

Congratulations.

@Sm1smom
Hi All! Hi Mom!
I wanted to say thank you for everything you've done, from the very beginning to answer all my questions! After months of patiently waiting I finally got my green card!!! I am a PR!!
I am going to update my timeline now. My number was current February 2016 and I am an F-1 student
But here how it goes:
January 22nd 2016: sent my package via USPS
January 26th 2016: package was delivered!
February 2nd : I received a text about the reception of my case
February 9th Received Notice of Action
February 12th I received my letter for biometrics apt
February 24th : did biometrics
April 16th: Received interview letter
May 17th: Interview day NY FO
July 15th : went to my first INFOPASS. Nothing much told, just your case is being held for review
August 2nd: went to my 2nd INFOPASS. Was told the same thing, you have to be patient. Meanwhile my case status online just said "Fingerprint fee received" since february
August 19th My case status was updated online to "New Card is Being Produced"
August 20th: Updated to "Case is approved"
August 23th: " New Card was mailed to me"
August 27th: checked my mailbox and received my welcome letter (I-797C) and my Green Card!!!!!!!!! I am super happy now!!!
Thank you again for all your help and Good Luck to everybody!!
This whole process definitely taught me that P.A.T.I.E.N.C.E is the Key!!!!

@Sm1smom
Hi All! Hi Mom!
I wanted to say thank you for everything you've done, from the very beginning to answer all my questions! After months of patiently waiting I finally got my green card!!! I am a PR!!
I am going to update my timeline now. My number was current February 2016 and I am an F-1 student
But here how it goes:
January 22nd 2016: sent my package via USPS
January 26th 2016: package was delivered!
February 2nd : I received a text about the reception of my case
February 9th Received Notice of Action
February 12th I received my letter for biometrics apt
February 24th : did biometrics
April 16th: Received interview letter
May 17th: Interview day NY FO
July 15th : went to my first INFOPASS. Nothing much told, just your case is being held for review
August 2nd: went to my 2nd INFOPASS. Was told the same thing, you have to be patient. Meanwhile my case status online just said "Fingerprint fee received" since february
August 19th My case status was updated online to "New Card is Being Produced"
August 20th: Updated to "Case is approved"
August 23th: " New Card was mailed to me"
August 27th: checked my mailbox and received my welcome letter (I-797C) and my Green Card!!!!!!!!! I am super happy now!!!
Thank you again for all your help and Good Luck to everybody!!
This whole process definitely taught me that P.A.T.I.E.N.C.E is the Key!!!!

Congratulations. Enjoy your new LPR status.

Hey mom just one question. It might be off topic but now that I have the green card can I travel? Do I need any sort of visa on my passport? What documents do I need when I reenter the U.S?

Hey mom just one question. It might be off topic but now that I have the green card can I travel? Do I need any sort of visa on my passport? What documents do I need when I reenter the U.S?

Yes you can travel out of the US. All you need are your passport and GC.

Oh great! Thank you again for all the support you give to people all around the world. I will donate a good amount once I find a job. I really want to payback as much as I can to make sure this forums stays alive for the future DV generations :)

How should I do online inquiry? I am waiting for interview letter, had infopass 4 times, not really helpful.

on uscis website, same place where you check case status, there is an option for "submit case inquiry-Did not receive notice by mail", but it takes around one month for them to respond. Better option is congressman inquiry, which is much faster, it took two weeks in my case. Also try infopass again

Thank you very much for your quick response mom. I will go ahead make a congressional inquiry. I apologize for repeating my question.
Hello Sam1,
How is your case going on? Reading here, my situation is exactly like yours, during infopass, the officer said due to TPS pending case my files are not released to the field office, however my spouse's file is released. Now there is only a month remaining. I am so worried. Sam1, did you get your case approved?

Hi Mom,

Just wondering how long should I wait before I book another INFOPASS (or maybe contact a congressman or ombudsman)? I went to my INFOPASS last Thursday, they did say I need to wait. I'm just curious.

Hi Mom,

Just wondering how long should I wait before I book another INFOPASS (or maybe contact a congressman or ombudsman)? I went to my INFOPASS last Thursday, they did say I need to wait. I'm just curious.

You can book another INFOPASS or contact your congress person right away since we're down to the last couple of weeks.

Hi Mom,

Did they say what specifically is causing the delay? At this stage, narrowing down the issue is probably more important than having another general conversation with them?

Lol - I contemplated using 'bat woman' as my profile name but didn't think it was appropriate since I most definitely sleep, and I'm not online 24/7 - obviously seeing how long this response took :rolleyes: -I just try to help as much as I can when I can :)
Dear Mom,
Did my INFOPASS today. The officer I dealt with was impatient right from the beginning. She requested for a number of documents and raised her voice as I fumbled with a folder to find what she wanted.

I told her I did the interview more than three weeks ago and had been advised the GC would be mailed within 2 weeks.

She asked if I had any written evidence of the “approval” from the interview and I replied I had not known written approval should have been provided. She also asked if I had completed my medicals (?). I said YES. .

I informed her that I had called KCC and they advised PIMS been updated with my file Aug 25th. She did not comment but just looked blank. Her next question was: WHAT WILL YOU DO IF YOU DON’T GET YOUR GREEN CARD? It was my turn to go blank.

I went back to sit and she called me back after 15 minutes and said my case was marked as pending. I asked if my background check was complete and she did not answer. She said I-485 adjudication is required by law to take up to 120 days even if it is a DV. I reminded her about the Sept 30 deadline and she said it does not matter.

She said there is nothing we can do but wait as officers were all very busy (elections, etc). She took my number and said she would call me with an update before end of day but suddenly said she will call me in about a week. At the end she wrote down her name on a piece of paper and gave it to me for reference, which I thought was nice of her. Any advice on how to proceed?

Last edited:
Dear Mom,
Did my INFOPASS today. The officer I dealt with was impatient right from the beginning. She requested for a number of documents and raised her voice as I fumbled with a folder to find what she wanted.

I told her I did the interview more than three weeks ago and had been advised the GC would be mailed within 2 weeks.

She asked if I had any written evidence of the “approval” from the interview and I replied I had not known written approval should have been provided. She also asked if I had completed my medicals (?). I said YES. .

I informed her that I had called KCC and they advised PIMS been updated with my file Aug 25th. She did not comment but just looked blank. Her next question was: WHAT WILL YOU DO IF YOU DON’T GET YOUR GREEN CARD? It was my turn to go blank.

I went back to sit and she called me back after 15 minutes and said my case was marked as pending. I asked if my background check was complete and she did not answer. She said I-485 adjudication is required by law to take up to 120 days even if it is a DV. I reminded her about the Sept 30 deadline and she said it does not matter.

She said there is nothing we can do but wait as officers were all very busy (elections, etc). She took my number and said she would call me with an update before end of day but suddenly said she will call me in about a week. At the end she wrote down her name on a piece of paper and gave it to me for reference, which I thought was nice of her. Any advice on how to proceed?

Schedule another INFOPASS to take place about 2 weeks from now and do another follow up.

Schedule another INFOPASS to take place about 2 weeks from now and do another follow up.
I have secured an INFOPASS slot for Aug 08. How much time would a Congressman/woman typically take to obtain feedback from USCIS? If legal action becomes necessary (hope it will not come to this) how much time would a lawyer need given the Sept 30 deadline?

I have secured an INFOPASS slot for Aug 08. How much time would a Congressman/woman typically take to obtain feedback from USCIS? If legal action becomes necessary (hope it will not come to this) how much time would a lawyer need given the Sept 30 deadline?
Forget the 'legal action' part... :confused:

Forget the 'legal action' part... :confused:
I am actually not contemplating legal action but I have read a number of cases where a "writ of mandamus" was successfully filed for delayed/denied DV applicants. There is one recent example by "Svitlana" on the timelines spreasheet on first tab of this discussion.

Legal action will take you no where - what's your basis for suing USCIS? So forget about that. There's no rule or law in place to say how long a congress person may or should get a feedback from USCIS either.

I am actually not contemplating legal action but I have read a number of cases where a "writ of mandamus" was successfully filed for delayed/denied DV applicants. There is one recent example by "Svitlana" on the timelines spreasheet on first tab of this discussion.

Timeline spreadsheet for which year shows "svitlana" successful filed a writ of mandamus for a DV based AOS petition?