• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Not annoyed. I just don't want you to become so narrow focused and miss out on what's actually being said.

Best of luck with the INFOPASS!

Just attended the Infopass. The representative told us that our cases are "pending name check" which is FBI and thus they have nothing to do.
After I spent another 20 minutes explaining the urgency, the representative sent me to speak with a more professional one. But she explained me exactly the same: USCIS can't expedite the FBI background check. They even can't contact them to ask the reason for so long waiting.
She suggested me to contact again the congressman and maybe he will be able to push things and maybe contact the FBI.
What do you think? Is this really that USCIS can't do anything for expediting the name check? Or I should keep pushing USCIS?

Just attended the Infopass. The representative told us that our cases are "pending name check" which is FBI and thus they have nothing to do.
After I spent another 20 minutes explaining the urgency, the representative sent me to speak with a more professional one. But she explained me exactly the same: USCIS can't expedite the FBI background check. They even can't contact them to ask the reason for so long waiting.
She suggested me to contact again the congressman and maybe he will be able to push things and maybe contact the FBI.
What do you think? Is this really that USCIS can't do anything for expediting the name check? Or I should keep pushing USCIS?

I read from a resource that congressman couldn't expedite FBI name check, the USCIS can, with cases involving military deployment, age-out or sunset provisions, or other compelling situations such as critical medical conditions, are qualified for expedited handling.

So maybe if you mentioned that this is a sunsetting case they'll look into it?

I read from a resource that congressman couldn't expedite FBI name check, the USCIS can, with cases involving military deployment, age-out or sunset provisions, or other compelling situations such as critical medical conditions, are qualified for expedited handling.

So maybe if you mentioned that this is a sunsetting case they'll look into it?

I mentioned 10 times that we have a deadline in 5 weeks but she said that it is not an emergency case... Maybe it is a matter of wording? Maybe I should have tell her explicitly that this is an "age-out or sunset provisions" case? But the second representative I talked today looked knowledgeable and still said that it is nothing to do...

I mentioned 10 times that we have a deadline in 5 weeks but she said that it is not an emergency case... Maybe it is a matter of wording? Maybe I should have tell her explicitly that this is an "age-out or sunset provisions" case? But the second representative I talked today looked knowledgeable and still said that it is nothing to do...
Unfortunately this does not come as a surprise. Increased focus on IV security clearance processes and requirements is not limited to security related AP's but also affects mundane tasks such as FBI name checks etc. This is noticeable across all AoS & CP IV categories, yet will naturally affect DV applicants the most, as they are processing against a hard deadline. Best of luck!

Hi Britsimon/Sm1smom,
Did my interview in NY on August 04. The FO (he was very polite/courteous) advised my case was approved and that I would get the card in the mail in 2 to 3 weeks' time. Three weeks will be ending tomorrow. Card has not arrived and USCIS case status still reads "Fingerprint Fee Received". Are these circumstances normal? When is the right time to initiate INFOPASS?

Last edited:
Hi Britsimon/Sm1smom,
Did my interview in NY on August 04. The FO (he was very polite/courteous) advised my case was approved and that I would get the card in the mail in 2 to 3 weeks' time. Three weeks will be ending tomorrow. Card has not arrived and USCIS case status still reads "Fingerprint Fee Received". Are these circumstances normal? When is the right time to initiate INFOPASS?

I would look for one now. You may find you can't get an inforpass in the next few days, so it would be worth booking one. If the card arrives, you can cancel the infopass to let someone else use it.

I would look for one now. You may find you can't get an inforpass in the next few days, so it would be worth booking one. If the card arrives, you can cancel the infopass to let someone else use it.
Thank you Britsimon. Got INFOPASS for next week. Yes - will cancel if card arrives before appointment date.

Thank you Britsimon. Got INFOPASS for next week. Yes - will cancel if card arrives before appointment date.

OK good. Have a read through the last few pages to know how to handle your interview. Your case sounds like MichaelBors case where he found out his name check is not complete. You need to confirm that there is nothing outstanding, including the name check. If it is the name check there isn't much you can do except hope it is processed in time - but as Mom has previously said, I can't remember an AOS case that timed out waiting for a name check.

OK good. Have a read through the last few pages to know how to handle your interview. Your case sounds like MichaelBors case where he found out his name check is not complete. You need to confirm that there is nothing outstanding, including the name check. If it is the name check there isn't much you can do except hope it is processed in time - but as Mom has previously said, I can't remember an AOS case that timed out waiting for a name check.
Thank you for the hints. I have read other stories above and will follow the advice. The FO actually said all documentation was in order and that he did not "see any other issues with my case". He had my file with application documents in front of him during the interview. Interview was about 10 minutes - nothing complicated.

The September 30th deadline applies to all DV cases, including those who as a matter of fact have had an interview and are simply awaiting a decision - if those cases are not approved by COB on September 30th, they will not be getting their GC.

You need to schedule an INFOPASS appointment with your FO and go follow up on your case in person.

Hi Mom,

I scheduled an Infopass for September 7th. Even if they say it's Ok to expedite the service that might be too late science according to your guidance we should get actual interview and the card before end of Sep. Any advice on how to speed-up this?

A week ago I called the USCIS customer service and asked them to expedite our case which is pending background check (we already had an interview in May).
They said that they will send a request to the FO. We have just got the mail from out Newark FO that the request for expediting was rejected since the reason was not sufficient.
Tomorrow we have an INFOPASS appointment scheduled. Should we go or it is better to wait another 2 weeks?
There are about 5 weeks left until the deadline and it is very hard to stay relaxed (especiall when we paid ~$5000 fees for the whole family...).
Thanks!

I am also applying in New Jersey and Newark center handles that. These guys are not really responsive, we tried walk-in on Elizabeth center for fingerprinting and the director simply refused to hear us. I feel frustrated as well.

Thank you for the hints. I have read other stories above and will follow the advice. The FO actually said all documentation was in order and that he did not "see any other issues with my case". He had my file with application documents in front of him during the interview. Interview was about 10 minutes - nothing complicated.

To start with, have you called KCC to confirm if your KCC file has been requested by your FO, and if already requested, has it been sent?

Hi Mom,

I scheduled an Infopass for September 7th. Even if they say it's Ok to expedite the service that might be too late science according to your guidance we should get actual interview and the card before end of Sep. Any advice on how to speed-up this?

No, I never said any of those things. What I've always said was that the interview must take place and the case approved by the end of September.

There is a big difference between "before" and "by". I've also never said petitioners need to get their card before the end of September or by the end of September as a matter of fact. The card can be received long after September has ended. The case just needs to be approved BY the end of September.

Hi all,

I did my biometrics on 18th of July and haven't received anything. I scheduled an INFOPASS and went to an FO that does not necessarily serve my district but was close geographically. They told me they couldn't do much but to call USCIS customer service to get a 'service inquiry to the national benefits center'. I asked for an expedite on two categories, that is a diversity visa case and also on nonprofit status (i got a letter of employment from one in the US). They also told me to send a letter giving all the evidence for this request to the national benefits center.

What is their address and who should I address it to? Would sending the documents really help?

They said to include a cover letter requesting an expedite and all related documents (all receipts, business letter of employment) and also to highlight the pages saying this is diversity visa case.

Thanks!!

To start with, have you called KCC to confirm if your KCC file has been requested by your FO, and if already requested, has it been sent?
The FO certainly had my file in front of him during the interview but will still call KCC to be double sure. Thank you Mom!

The FO certainly had my file in front of him during the interview but will still call KCC to be double sure. Thank you Mom!

For sheez! You're still not getting it, you're going on and on about the IO (by the way not FO) having your case file in front of him. Your AOS case file is NOT the same as your KCC file. The fact that your IO had your AOS case file during the course of the meeting (and by the way they wouldn't have called you in for an interview if they didn't have the AOS case file) does not mean they have your KCC file also.

Hi all,

I did my biometrics on 18th of July and haven't received anything. I scheduled an INFOPASS and went to an FO that does not necessarily serve my district but was close geographically. They told me they couldn't do much but to call USCIS customer service to get a 'service inquiry to the national benefits center'. I asked for an expedite on two categories, that is a diversity visa case and also on nonprofit status (i got a letter of employment from one in the US). They also told me to send a letter giving all the evidence for this request to the national benefits center.

What is their address and who should I address it to? Would sending the documents really help?

They said to include a cover letter requesting an expedite and all related documents (all receipts, business letter of employment) and also to highlight the pages saying this is diversity visa case.

Thanks!!

Forget about writing, do an INFOPASS with YOUR assigned FO. A geographically close by FO with no jurisdictional rights over your case cannot influence what your FO will or will not do over your case. The FOs operate independent of one another.

And by the way, the response about writing to the NBC is clearly their way of getting you to stop bothering them since they have no jurisdiction over your case. You should be talking directly to your FO if you hope to make a difference in what's going on with your case. NBC currently has nothing to do with the case.

For sheez! You're still not getting it, you're going on and on about the IO (by the way not FO) having your case file in front of him. Your AOS case file is NOT the same as your KCC file. The fact that your IO had your AOS case file during the course of the meeting (and by the way they wouldn't have called you in for an interview if they didn't have the AOS case file) does not mean they have your KCC file also.
Understood! These things take time to sink in!!