• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 Selectees from Ghana

It's not inconceivable though that one might have never had a passport prior to the DV selection though which means the passport that will be presented will be newly issued too.
Yes @sussieqqq my point is: It's easier to fake both when the birth certificate is new. I was going to mention weighing cards. If you have it, could be very helpful.

One other thing. This phenomenon of massive refusal rate is quite recent. The rate of approval in Ghana was higher previously. From 2006 to 2014 the country was getting about 1500 to 2500 visas in general. DV2014 the number of issuances was 1460. Then in DV2015 the number dropped to 526. Same number of cases, but a massive drop in approvals. This coincides with the introduction of the DS260, which allowed more computerized operation (the nemesis of fraud).

Susie mentioned earlier the role agents have played in this chaos. I had noticed that rise some years ago through entry numbers and asked Ghanaians about it then. What I had noticed was that starting around 2009 the number of entries from Ghana has increased massively, but tellingly the ratio of derivatives increased incredibly (not credibly).

In 2007 there were 210,000 entries plus 80,000 derivatives (so a derivative rate of 1.38). That increased rapidly so by 2015 there were 1,537,000 entries and only 192,000 derivatives (a rate of 1.12). That just doesn't make sense - other than it meaning agents were entering large numbers of entries for people without including spouses and children.

It also meant that out of 1.8 million entries in DV2015, only 526 people got visas (0.03% or 1 person in 3300 entries). Compare that with 2008 where there was one visa awarded for every 161 entries.
Interesting comparison. The dedicated DoS visa fraud prevention program, in which US post in Accra is one of selected participating US Consulates, is impacting those numbers, no doubt.

Yes @sussieqqq my point is: It's easier to fake both when the birth certificate is new. I was going to mention weighing cards. If you have it, could be very helpful.

I wonder how many people would still have them, though? By the time I went for my DV interview as an adult, I (or the family) had long lost any infancy/childhood records, including my vaccination records. It's sad that genuine applicants in cases like this might lose out because of too much fraud by other people.

In 2007 there were 210,000 entries plus 80,000 derivatives (so a derivative rate of 1.38). That increased rapidly so by 2015 there were 1,537,000 entries and only 192,000 derivatives (a rate of 1.12). That just doesn't make sense - other than it meaning agents were entering large numbers of entries for people without including spouses and children.

Yes we didn't mention before explicitly that another reason for refusal is not listing existing derivatives on the entry form and again we know there have been a number of refusals for this reason.

I have my birth Cert renewed. But have my baptismal certificate. However, my baptismal certificate has my other names on it. My eDV only had my first and surnames. All my other documents don't have my other names because my parents decided to use only my first and second names. Should I unlock and fill in the other names part although it's only my baptismal card that has it and that I didn't even fill it in my eDV?

I have my birth Cert renewed. But have my baptismal certificate. However, my baptismal certificate has my other names on it. My eDV only had my first and surnames. All my other documents don't have my other names because my parents decided to use only my first and second names. Should I unlock and fill in the other names part although it's only my baptismal card that has it and that I didn't even fill it in my eDV?

Yes, those names should have been listed under the Other Names section of the DS-260 form.

I am beginning to think if I hadn't joined this form, I would have been denied. I'm eventually correcting so many errors I hitherto would have made. Thanks. You all.

Then upon all this readings I think I will forget about the processing..because of the too much errors I have..thanks to you all for your help..will definitely see to it that I do the right thing in this year draw..All the best to you all..

Then upon all this readings I think I will forget about the processing..because of the too much errors I have..thanks to you all for your help..will definitely see to it that I do the right thing in this year draw..All the best to you all..

What specific errors do you have on your eDV registration entry?

Your date of birth right? maybe you should do it on your own next time or be around to make sure it is done right

Year and month of birth. And surname eg instead of Smith it was spelt simth.

Individually, those mistakes might not cause denial at Accra. However, together (3 things, all of which could conceal your identity in an attempt to hide multiple entries) there is high chance of refusal.

Individually, those mistakes might not cause denial at Accra. However, together (3 things) there is high chance of refusal.

Given some past reports here even one of those mistakes would be a risk I think...all 3, I agree chances of refusal are very high.

I could have been denied too.
What an incredible information! I've not come across any of the above informations SUSIE had expertly dealt with on any of the previous threads.
Thank you all.
1. I started my passport procurement process in December 2015 and got it in April 2016. In the process of getting this done, I had to acquire a new birth certificate because the old one is no longer in use. Unfortunately for me, on this new birth certificate instead of male they wrongly printed female. However, the Passport came out accurately as male because I suspected that they used the information I provided on the form they used to produce the Passport. I must indicate that I didn't notice this anomaly until quite sometime later.
I therefore requested for a new one. Again this one also came with an error e.i error in the location of birth even though both places are in Accra. To avoid any unforeseen circumstances, I've gone for the correction thereby requesting for a new one which is likely to come out soon.
2. Now, I don't have any medical documents neither do I have a baptismal certificate.
3. I do have in my possession the original old birth certificate and the one that contains the error.
4. Having read SUSIE QQQ post, I've realized that my birth certificate falls below one year period.
Please what should I do now?
I don't have any reason to engage in fraud whatsoever.

If it's fairly common not to have a birth certificate before winning then the consulate will be aware of it. Your passport also has your date of birth on it of course anyway, which presumably matches the eDV and birth certficate. So there's no reason this should be a reason for denial. However the more common problem - at least that we have seen reported here on the forum - is that the date of birth on the eDV is incorrect. Then we have the situation where some people try to get a visa anyway by using a genuine birth certificate with the correct date, or trying to use a fraudulent one. It is both of these situations that would lead to denial.
How will the consulate be aware?

I could have been denied too.
What an incredible information! I've not come across any of the above informations SUSIE had expertly dealt with on any of the previous threads.
Thank you all.
1. I started my passport procurement process in December 2015 and got it in April 2016. In the process of getting this done, I had to acquire a new birth certificate because the old one is no longer in use. Unfortunately for me, on this new birth certificate instead of male they wrongly printed female. However, the Passport came out accurately as male because I suspected that they used the information I provided on the form they used to produce the Passport. I must indicate that I didn't notice this anomaly until quite sometime later.
I therefore requested for a new one. Again this one also came with an error e.i error in the location of birth even though both places are in Accra. To avoid any unforeseen circumstances, I've gone for the correction thereby requesting for a new one which is likely to come out soon.
2. Now, I don't have any medical documents neither do I have a baptismal certificate.
3. I do have in my possession the original old birth certificate and the one that contains the error.
4. Having read SUSIE QQQ post, I've realized that my birth certificate falls below one year period.
Please what should I do now?
I don't have any reason to engage in fraud whatsoever.
Bro, don't be too worried, I believe you're on the right path quickly spotting the mistakes. Keep the very old birthcert (which is no more in use) together with the newest.

I'm
Bro, don't be too worried, I believe you're on the right path quickly spotting the mistakes. Keep the very old birthcert (which is no more in use) together with the newest.
I'm very grateful for your quick response... Thanks.