• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 Administrative Processing Cases

Your understanding is wrong. AP aka INA 221(g) is a 'soft' or 'temporary' refusal which may either be for the purpose of giving a petitioner the opportunity to provide a missing document pertinent to the case, or the case is undergoing some additional internal reviews (as in a pending background check clearance or a further review and verification of the documents submitted).

By the way, which petition where you put on a 2 day AP for? Your DV selection?
DV Selection.I was told to come and pick after two weeks,AP for 2days.Now shown Issued.I think its your understanding that is wrong.

Last edited:
DV Selection.I was told to come and pick after two weeks,AP for 2days.Now shown Issued.I think its your understanding that is wrong.

Look up 221g on google and see what it says then maybe you'll see.

Yes, your status is listed as AP between interview and visa issuance. That's just while they are working on it. But if you are placed on AP after an interview, the terminology of the letter you get is that you are found ineligible/ temporarily refused until you can show the document or they do the further background checks required or whatever ( they don't always give you the reason). I got this form dude, I know what it says.

Congratulations i was expecting Alem too to be cleared this week well at least my hopes have not gone in vain really am happy its good news
I am hoping to hear a good news for my self by this week also, thank you for helping me attracting it, and one more thing my AP friend (YEA MY AP FRIEND we have something like that here) who was interviewed the same day with me got cleared today and his status says ISSUED.

Hmm! Very interesting considering the fact that on June 15th you claimed to be a DV 2017 selectee who registered with a cousin as a married couple and had actually obtained a marriage certificate back dated 2013 to support the bogus claim.

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2017-selectees.331310/page-6#post-2436111

And you already had your interview and got approved?? For DV 2017??? Tell us something else! :rolleyes:

Well as Mom pointed out - you are full of interesting stories, but your AP claim is useful to make a point that might help others. In reality the info you have been given (by EXPERTS who know a heck of a lot more about the process than you know) is accurate but you have one small piece of the puzzle which is driving your assumption that they must be wrong.

There are several conditions/types of AP.

First, true AP is a section 221(g) refusal, which is indeed considered a "temporary refusal". The reasons for this can be to give the selectee an opportunity to produce required documents OR to allow a period of background checking (Name checks, education verification, seeking an opinion on some matter as in Baz's case). In all these cases the AP must be concluded by September 30, otherwise the case cannot be approved. There is no extension of time beyond that. In the case of missing documents that period of time could be quite short after the missing documents are provided, in other cases the period of AP can last weeks and months. If the period of AP crosses a month end the embassy has to return the pre-allocated visas for the case back to KCC and then later have to request re-allocation of visas once the case is approved (although a busy embassy might be able to re-allocate from other cases which were denied).

Second, there are many cases that are given an approval during the interview that switch to AP status on CEAC for a period of time before the case status is updated to ISSUED. The period of time when AP shows is usually a few hours to around 3 days (not including weekends). In many cases the selectee would not even have been aware of this, if they had not checked CEAC or if the embassy had not updated CEAC diligently. As far as I can tell this period of "AP" is simply to denote the visa is being ordered/printed and is not "true" AP (i.e. section 221(g) refusal).

after many communication (e-mails) to the embassy i got a reply on july 19th that "The case in the final procedures and will be issued soon" then after some followups by mail they replied today "The case in the final procedures and will be processed for conclusion soon" so is that gives any clue? and when i should expect a final reply or case update?
also why they said 1st that it will be issued then it will be processed for conclusion

after many communication (e-mails) to the embassy i got a reply on july 19th that "The case in the final procedures and will be issued soon" then after some followups by mail they replied today "The case in the final procedures and will be processed for conclusion soon" so is that gives any clue? and when i should expect a final reply or case update?
also why they said 1st that it will be issued then it will be processed for conclusion

The text doesn't give any clues. It sounds encouraging - but you need to wait until you see the visa in your hand.

even the word "soon" doesn't reflect any time estimates?

To reiterate what Simon said in other words, don't read any meaning into the words used. No point in trying to analyze the words, nothing is certain until you get your passport with the visa printed on it.

My friend is in AP for 6 months and last week the lawyer got a email from consulate. They asked for a updated CV and copies of the old passport. The lawyer email the papers on Monday , i hope this will be the last step and my friend will get some good news soon.

Super moderators, yesterday i called to the embassy and the girl who was talking to me on the phone asked me my case, i told her everything and she requested me to tell her my case number so that she can check my status. She finally said that it shows "this applicant has no 221(g) history" what does this really means?

Super moderators, yesterday i called to the embassy and the girl who was talking to me on the phone asked me my case, i told her everything and she requested me to tell her my case number so that she can check my status. She finally said that it shows "this applicant has no 221(g) history" what does this really means?

I have no idea. Did you ask her when you will get approved?

I have no idea. Did you ask her when you will get approved?
Yes but she said i should simply wait and the exact time is unknown. What she was telling me is 221(g) is for those who are requested to submit additional documents which i am not asked:confused:

The problem with your case seems to be that it is very unclear why are you are on AP, according to your original post on this forum:

"I and my husband are among the winners of (DV2016) in Ethiopia, We already had our interview on December 1 and everything went well but lastly the CO asked me to tell him the last courses I took in my university degree and couldn't remember more than one, then he told us that our case need few weeks more under administrative processes and will call us while they are done with the processes. Now we are staring on our phone all the time waiting them to call us."

If AP should be related to concerns in regards to education, which even in itself is strange as it is a High School degree (equivalent to US) not University degree that is required, then there definitely should be a 221(g) history for your case. Being 240+ days on AP without knowing why makes your case admittedly rather difficult and impossible to advice one way or other. With DV 2016 program expiring end of September, you need to find out what the concrete problem is and what next steps need to be taken. You have waited long enough without knowing anything, as far as I can see. I would speak with them again and look for specific information in terms of the key underlying issue on your case. Good luck!

Last edited:
When it says "immigrant", it's referring to a K or V visa immigrant, because a T NIV petitioner who has been found inadmissible is also eligible to use the I-601 waiver form - it's not intended to be a blanket phrase applicable to all immigrant petitioners inherently found inadmissible.

And I honestly would rather you don't go by my "advice" if you're convinced otherwise of the possibility of a successful waiver application in your case. I'm not advising anything - but basically sharing what I know of with regards DV petition denials and the waiver process.

FYI - contacted some immigration lawyers and was told that "immigrant" refers to immigrant and K and V refers to non immigrant (I-601 application) and as per the instruction from consulate yes the I-601 is what I should do. Confirmed that with 2 different lawyers. Lawyers are pleading with the consulate that my "crime" as per I-601 description should be automatically waved but I do believe that they will come back and advise to do I-601 anyways in which case I do not have enough time. Anyhow - will keep this forum informed.

FYI - contacted some immigration lawyers and was told that "immigrant" refers to immigrant and K and V refers to non immigrant (I-601 application) and as per the instruction from consulate yes the I-601 is what I should do. Confirmed that with 2 different lawyers. Lawyers are pleading with the consulate that my "crime" as per I-601 description should be automatically waved but I do believe that they will come back and advise to do I-601 anyways in which case I do not have enough time. Anyhow - will keep this forum informed.

No more to be said from this side regarding this issue. Best of luck to you.