• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Cant go to my country for green card lottery interview

S

shengo

Hi guys,
Luckily my wife was seleceted this year for DV2017
She and my kids are in my country but for some political reasons if i go there i may not be able to get out of the country for a while.

I want them to go ahead with their application and obtain the green card without me since i am not the selectee i think that is possible.
I am able to travel to u.s , got a visa until 2023 ...

Anyone who can suggest a solution will be highly appreciated ,

Regards,

Hi guys,
She and my kids are in my country but for some political reasons if i go there i may not be able to get out of the country for a while.

I want them to go ahead with their application and obtain the green card without me since i am not the selectee i think that is possible.

Regards,

The NIV you currently have will not entitle you to legally live with your family in the US, so don't think of it as a fall back plan.

Your best option right now is for your family to interview without you as planned and for your wife's case file to get transferred to the third country where you're presently at. It's a process you and your wife will have to coordinate between the two embassies though.

Hi guys,

Regards,
Your spouse and kids live in your home country. Where do you live? Can they travel to you, so that you can interview together with the US Consulate in that country? Or are you currently in the US? More information is being needed to advice appropriately, I believe.

Hey Euro2014 ,
I am in africa at the moment but not a resident here so , i am planning to go to U.S before my visa expires which is within 3 weeks time . Since we are not even given an interview date it is not possible to do an interview here. And also nowadays getting out of my home country ( in europe) is a problem for any citizen , i guess you have an idea which country i am talking about :)

The NIV you currently have will not entitle you to legally live with your family in the US, so don't think of it as a fall back plan.

Your best option right now is for your family to interview without you as planned and for your wife's case file to get transferred to the third country where you're presently at. It's a process you and your wife will have to coordinate between the two embassies though.

Thanks for your message but it wont be possible cuz my visa here will be expired before we are given an interview date. Can we do what you have suggested in the states ?

Thanks for your message but it wont be possible cuz my visa here will be expired before we are given an interview date. Can we do what you have suggested in the states ?

Technically speaking, you're not supposed to enter the US with preconceived immigrant intents. What you're hoping to do, which is adjust status, after your wife completes her process and enters the US (and assuming her CN is low enough to allow both her and yourself complete the two types of process before the end of the FY) is considered having an immigrant intent prior to being admitted into the US.

Technically speaking, you're not supposed to enter the US with preconceived immigrant intents. What you're hoping to do, which is adjust status, after your wife completes her process and enters the US (and assuming her CN is low enough to allow both her and yourself complete the two types of process before the end of the FY) is considered having an immigrant intent prior to being admitted into the US.

Well , that s how it sounds really but only out of desperation.
Is it not something that can be explained to authorities ? It is serious a case in my home country that makes me even think of seeking asylum ..

Hey Euro2014 ,
I am in africa at the moment but not a resident here so , i am planning to go to U.S before my visa expires which is within 3 weeks time . Since we are not even given an interview date it is not possible to do an interview here. And also nowadays getting out of my home country ( in europe) is a problem for any citizen , i guess you have an idea which country i am talking about :)
I understand your predicament, yet your outlined DV processing approach, from what I understood thus far in the conversation, is bound to cause problems. Current intention is for your wife (DV 1) and children to process in Turkey and for you subsequently or in parallel to try to adjust status (as DV 2) in the US while on NIV status? This undoubtedly may cause problems and well cause your intended DV2 AoS to fail, as Sm1smom correctly pointed out. There may be alternatively options to process together, however it is important at this stage to clarify whether our above understanding of your DV case and personal situation is indeed correct, or that we have misunderstood something during the communication process thus far. Thanks.

I understand your predicament, yet your outlined DV processing approach, from what I understood thus far in the conversation, is bound to cause problems. Current intention is for your wife (DV 1) and children to process in Turkey and for you subsequently or in parallel to try to adjust status (as DV 2) in the US while on NIV status? This undoubtedly may cause problems and well cause your intended DV2 AoS to fail, as Sm1smom correctly pointed out. There may be alternatively options to process together, however it is important at this stage to clarify whether our above understanding of your DV case and personal situation is indeed correct, or that we have misunderstood something during the communication process thus far. Thanks.

Unfortunately my personal situation is correct and I have to avoid going back to Turkey before current situation goes back to normal .
I can not think of any other option to process together at the moment so please suggest any other option. I was also thinking, May be apply for an investor (E2) visa and later on my wife can apply for my green card after the FY ends for DV2017 but that is a long process really.

Unfortunately my personal situation is correct and I have to avoid going back to Turkey before current situation goes back to normal .
I can not think of any other option to process together at the moment so please suggest any other option. I was also thinking, May be apply for an investor (E2) visa and later on my wife can apply for my green card after the FY ends for DV2017 but that is a long process really.
I certainly understand. However, as you know, changes in the political situation in Turkey are very recent and things may well calm down by the time your CN will become current and ready for interview? A few relevant follow up questions for you:
a) based on this year's CN progress, in which time frame would you expect your interview to be scheduled based on normal progression?
b) have you/your wife already submitted DS-260's and, if so, for what US Consulate interview location? Remember, based on selective submission, you can manage the timing of your interview with the US Consulate in Ankara until September 2017, i.e. up to 14 months from now, irrespective of your specific EU CN.
c) some information you might want to review in this respect: http://www.immihelp.com/immigrant-visa/home-post-consular-processing.html
Turkey is currently a "safe harbor" country for US visa processing purposes and, in fact, processes for "homeless nationalities" listed. If the situation in Turkey should deteriorate further, a comparable solution will be established for Turkish folks abroad with US Consulate posts to be defined by the DoS. In that case you and your family would not have to proof resident status for that country. Let's also keep in mind that Turkey has been assigned "safe harbor" status for refugees by the EU, currently still intact.

Ultimately it will be much simpler and increase chances of success if your wife, you and the children will be able to go through the DV process together. Of course alternate solutions can be found and managed, yet I do think that developments in Turkey are too recent to ultimately decide and undertake such complex measures at this stage of the DV 2017 process.

Last edited:
I certainly understand. However, as you know, changes in the political situation in Turkey are very recent and things may well calm down by the time your CN will become current and ready for interview? A few relevant follow up questions for you:
a) based on this year's CN progress, in which time frame would you expect your interview to be scheduled based on normal progression?
b) have you/your wife already submitted DS-260's and, if so, for what US Consulate interview location? Remember, based on selective submission, you can manage the timing of your interview with the US Consulate in Ankara until September 2017, i.e. up to 14 months from now, irrespective of your specific EU CN.
c) some information you might want to review in this respect: http://www.immihelp.com/immigrant-visa/home-post-consular-processing.html
Turkey is currently a "safe harbor" country for US visa processing purposes and, in fact, processes for "homeless nationalities" listed. If the situation in Turkey should deteriorate further, a comparable solution will be established for Turkish folks abroad with US Consulate posts to be defined by the DoS. In that case you and your family would not have to proof resident status for that country. Let's also keep in mind that Turkey has been assigned "safe harbor" status for refugees by the EU, currently still intact.

Ultimately it will be much simpler and increase chances of success if your wife, you and the children will be able to go through the DV process together. Of course alternate solutions can be found and managed, yet I do think that developments in Turkey are too recent to ultimately decide and undertake such complex measures at this stage of the DV 2017 process.

As you have mentioned it is very recent but it is already having severe consequences for hundreds of thousands of people , specifically for a certain group . And through my contacts there i am getting a no signal for going back . This thing has not started for us after the attempted coup , it was already a going on case against that certain group but attempted coup just made it more intense and unbearable so I want my family out of there as soon as possible actually. People are being labeled and those who are labeled are being banned from travelling outside . So , safe harbor for refugees is not so safe for certain citizens at the moment and i am afraid ( from the government`s rhetoric and actions ) it will go on for a while. My main worry is , should the situation deteriorate they may ban my family from travelling so I kind of want to act fast on this . May be it will be a harder process this way but do not really want to risk everything so things can be easier later on.

We have not yet submitted the Ds260 forms ,planwas to meet in turkey and get it done in Ankara U.S Embassy as a family but again it does not seem likely .
Our CN EU9xxxx so if the DS260 is submitted soon i am expecting the interview date would be november or december . At the moment there is state of emergency and they are arresting whoever they like , from prosecutors to judges , police to soldiers, deans, professors,business people so on. It is declared for next 3 months but can be
extended to 6 months if the president decides it is necessary .
Summary is , i am not looking for an alternate solution based on what is going on today , tomorrow worries me even more . I do appreciate your time and responses .
Yet I am still in the dark but have to take action , so in that direction , how do you think i should go ahead ?

As you have mentioned it is very recent but it is already having severe consequences for hundreds of thousands of people , specifically for a certain group . And through my contacts there i am getting a no signal for going back . This thing has not started for us after the attempted coup , it was already a going on case against that certain group but attempted coup just made it more intense and unbearable so I want my family out of there as soon as possible actually. People are being labeled and those who are labeled are being banned from travelling outside . So , safe harbor for refugees is not so safe for certain citizens at the moment and i am afraid ( from the government`s rhetoric and actions ) it will go on for a while. My main worry is , should the situation deteriorate they may ban my family from travelling so I kind of want to act fast on this . May be it will be a harder process this way but do not really want to risk everything so things can be easier later on.

We have not yet submitted the Ds260 forms ,planwas to meet in turkey and get it done in Ankara U.S Embassy as a family but again it does not seem likely .
Our CN EU9xxxx so if the DS260 is submitted soon i am expecting the interview date would be november or december . At the moment there is state of emergency and they are arresting whoever they like , from prosecutors to judges , police to soldiers, deans, professors,business people so on. It is declared for next 3 months but can be
extended to 6 months if the president decides it is necessary .
Summary is , i am not looking for an alternate solution based on what is going on today , tomorrow worries me even more . I do appreciate your time and responses .
Yet I am still in the dark but have to take action , so in that direction , how do you think i should go ahead ?
I understand. If you can provide some type of convincing proof that you would be arrested returning to Turkey, due to political reasons, you could move your family to Germany, for example, and apply for refugee status. You would be registered as applying refugee with temporary legal residency in Germany, based on current laws and regulations, while your application works itself through the system and you then would file your DS-260's with interview at the US Consulate in Frankfurt, which has a good track record with IV applicants from Iran et all. I was on a Istanbul - Frankfurt Turkish Airlines flight just recently, no problem. Receiving Schengen visa for you and your family won't be too difficult I guess, presuming you can provide valid reason (as visitor) and show them the money. It is highly unlikely that your refugee application will have been adjudicated by the time you have your DV interview in Frankfurt. As you know, you do have large Turkish support groups in Germany, which will make the temporary stay and transition to the US easier for you and your family. In any case, my first priority if I were in your shoes would be to keep my family safe and to process DV 2017 together, meaning at the same US post with everyone attending the interview together. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck!

Last edited:
I understand. If you can provide some type of convincing proof that you would be arrested returning to Turkey, due to political reasons, you could move your family to Germany, for example, and apply for refugee status. You would be registered as applying refugee with temporary legal residency in Germany, based on current laws and regulations, while your application works itself through the system and you then would file your DS-260's with interview at the US Consulate in Frankfurt, which has a good track record with IV applicants from Iran et all. I was on a Istanbul - Frankfurt Turkish Airlines flight just recently, no problem. Receiving Schengen visa for you and your family won't be too difficult I guess, presuming you can provide valid reason (as visitor) and show them the money. It is highly unlikely that your refugee application will have been adjudicated by the time you have your DV interview in Frankfurt. As you know, you do have large Turkish support groups in Germany, which will make the temporary stay and transition to the US easier for you and your family. In any case, my first priority if I were in your shoes would be to keep my family safe and to process DV 2017 together, meaning at the same US post with everyone attending the interview together. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck!
Hey Euro2014 ,

I will definitely consider that , but I really think I should also contact an immigration attorney in U.S ...
Thanks a lot for your time and ideas.
Really appreciate it all ...
Best Regards,

Hey Euro2014 ,

I will definitely consider that , but I really think I should also contact an immigration attorney in U.S ...
Best Regards,
Yes, please do so. However, please also re-read Sm1smom's AoS related advice above. Good luck.

Hey Euro2014 ,

Best Regards,

I think it's a good idea to contact an attorney, your case is more complicated than those we usually see here.
However, we have indeed seen a number of people in these forums get DV visas while pending asylum requests in the US, as well as being refugees elsewhere.