• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

1. If you submitted the DS-260 form and indicated you wanted to process CP, KCC will go ahead and process you for a CP interview - your KCC gets sent to the applicable embassy. If after submitting the form you, you change your mind and decide to process AOS without informing KCC, your case file still gets sent to the applicable embassy even if you initiate AOS on your own - that's a complication/delay you do not wish to introduce. The FO processing your AOS case will need your KCC file, without which your AOS cannot be adjudicated.

If you change your mind and wish to process AOS, you need to make sure you inform KCC of this change before your CN gets scheduled for an interview. Filling out the DS form lets KCC know ahead of time of your decision to process AOS, it makes planning easier for them - without your DS260, they'll be under the impression you have no plan of processing your selection.

2. Yes that's how the process work - you may also file one or two months prior to October, utilizing the early filing memo as long as you're aware and prepared for the possibility of a rejection or denial due to early filing.

I have read more or less all the previous posts. Now the process is much clearer; however, I just realized how “not smart” I was and how many mistakes/misinterpretations I made.

Sorry for posing again so many questions; I hope that at least they are not dumb and are also helpful for others.

1) KCCDV didn’t reply to my weird “cancel DS-260 since I want to do AoS request”; I was very happy when you mentioned that KCC doesn’t cancel requests. I’ve sent that e-mail 2 weeks ago. I don’t know what they made/will make of it: did they take no action since they don’t cancel, or did they see through my misunderstanding and understood correctly that I want to switch from CP to AoS?

I probably shouldn’t try reading their minds and send a clear e-mail with a clear message instead. Do you have any idea how long it might take for them to request such a process?

2) I didn’t write correctly all my addresses “since the age of 16” in my DS-260 form. For some reason, I interpreted college campuses as “temporary presence”- which, while reading now, is obviously wrong. I had no intention to mislead, it’s just an attention mistake. Should I request KCC to unlock the DS-260 so that I could also correct this error?

3) When I checked CP, I put my last semester’s address as “Permanent address- where I intend to live after arrival in the United States”. Even though I get a new college building/dorm every year and the address changes (same region/proximity- but different building, apartment, etc.), what I put made the most sense- since there was nothing else.

4) To make the situation even more colorful- as of now, I don’t have a local US address; I am going to rent a place this August with a friend. So I probably should wait till I get a place, and only then contact KCC?! Otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to complete all these address-related questions correctly (or at least not without writing several days later another request). However, I hope I won’t get a 2NL regarding a successfully scheduled CP interview by mid-August (I don’t know the timeline for CP).

5) After all this big bouquet, don’t you think that it might be better to just leave CP, correct the “since 16 addresses”, and notify about address change once I will be renting the apartment? I know it’s a judgement call that rests upon me, but what would you do given the information mentioned here?

Sorry again for the lengthy blabbering, but I don’t have anyone else to ask about such things (at least not without paying a ridiculous amount of money)…

I have read more or less all the previous posts. Now the process is much clearer; however, I just realized how “not smart” I was and how many mistakes/misinterpretations I made.

Sorry for posing again so many questions; I hope that at least they are not dumb and are also helpful for others.

1) KCCDV didn’t reply to my weird “cancel DS-260 since I want to do AoS request”; I was very happy when you mentioned that KCC doesn’t cancel requests. I’ve sent that e-mail 2 weeks ago. I don’t know what they made/will make of it: did they take no action since they don’t cancel, or did they see through my misunderstanding and understood correctly that I want to switch from CP to AoS?

I probably shouldn’t try reading their minds and send a clear e-mail with a clear message instead. Do you have any idea how long it might take for them to request such a process?

2) I didn’t write correctly all my addresses “since the age of 16” in my DS-260 form. For some reason, I interpreted college campuses as “temporary presence”- which, while reading now, is obviously wrong. I had no intention to mislead, it’s just an attention mistake. Should I request KCC to unlock the DS-260 so that I could also correct this error?

3) When I checked CP, I put my last semester’s address as “Permanent address- where I intend to live after arrival in the United States”. Even though I get a new college building/dorm every year and the address changes (same region/proximity- but different building, apartment, etc.), what I put made the most sense- since there was nothing else.

4) To make the situation even more colorful- as of now, I don’t have a local US address; I am going to rent a place this August with a friend. So I probably should wait till I get a place, and only then contact KCC?! Otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to complete all these address-related questions correctly (or at least not without writing several days later another request). However, I hope I won’t get a 2NL regarding a successfully scheduled CP interview by mid-August (I don’t know the timeline for CP).

5) After all this big bouquet, don’t you think that it might be better to just leave CP, correct the “since 16 addresses”, and notify about address change once I will be renting the apartment? I know it’s a judgement call that rests upon me, but what would you do given the information mentioned here?

Sorry again for the lengthy blabbering, but I don’t have anyone else to ask about such things (at least not without paying a ridiculous amount of money)…

1a. I don't know if they understood your request or not.
1b. I don't understand what you mean by "how long it might take for them to request such a process?" - Who is requesting what process?

2. You don't necessarily have to list all the dorm addresses you've resided eat, listing just the school address is okay.

3. Same as 2 above - just the school address will suffice, unless you're going CP in which case it has to be an address outside of US

4. Same response as 2 & 3

5. Like you already guessed, it's your call regarding which process to follow. Depending on when your DS -260 was originally submitted, KCC may already be preparing you for an October interview in which case you should continue as is - however you need to quickly contact them to enable you make the necessary changes before your case file gets transferred to your home embassy.

1a. I don't know if they understood your request or not.
1b. I don't understand what you mean by "how long it might take for them to request such a process?" - Who is requesting what process?

2. You don't necessarily have to list all the dorm addresses you've resided eat, listing just the school address is okay.

3. Same as 2 above - just the school address will suffice, unless you're going CP in which case it has to be an address outside of US

4. Same response as 2 & 3

5. Like you already guessed, it's your call regarding which process to follow. Depending on when your DS -260 was originally submitted, KCC may already be preparing you for an October interview in which case you should continue as is - however you need to quickly contact them to enable you make the necessary changes before your case file gets transferred to your home embassy.

1b. e-mail in which I were to request to switch from CP to AoS

2. the problem is that I didn't list any university address at all (even though it's written clearly that they should have been listed), because I misinterpreted college dorms to count as "temporary presence"

3 & 4. I was worried about these because I thought DS-260 requires maximum precision, and not just what makes sense. When I read on I-485 that one should notify address changes within 10 days, I assumed that a similar "strictness" also applies to DS-260- but, I guess not.

Thank you for your time, really! Now that I've got a full picture- or close to one, I think I know what to do!

Hello folks!

I have a situation with my husband's citizenship. He was born in a different country of his passport (the one he uses for all the process and his current visa here in the US). He has double citizenship, but he only uses the second one, not the one where he was born. So...

1. Does he have provide the birth certificate from his country of birth, or it would be enough with the birth certificate his current citizenship country provided (embassy birth certificate).

2. Actually, just in case, we have both B/C, but the one from his country of birth is more than 3 years old now since we asked for it. The stamped date is from early 2013. Can I use it, or do I need to buy a new one? More recent?

Related to my last question, few weeks ago, my Field Office will be Los Angeles. My case# EU00011XXX. Do you know if this office takes too long to schedule the interviews? I guess yes, because it's a large city, but you are wiser than I am... ;)

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Hello folks!

I have a situation with my husband's citizenship. He was born in a different country of his passport (the one he uses for all the process and his current visa here in the US). He has double citizenship, but he only uses the second one, not the one where he was born. So...

1. Does he have provide the birth certificate from his country of birth, or it would be enough with the birth certificate his current citizenship country provided (embassy birth certificate).

2. Actually, just in case, we have both B/C, but the one from his country of birth is more than 3 years old now since we asked for it. The stamped date is from early 2013. Can I use it, or do I need to buy a new one? More recent?

Related to my last question, few weeks ago, my Field Office will be Los Angeles. My case# EU00011XXX. Do you know if this office takes too long to schedule the interviews? I guess yes, because it's a large city, but you are wiser than I am... ;)

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Your husband needs:

" to obtain an original birth certificate issued by the official custodian of birth records in the country of birth, showing the date and place of birth and the parentage of the applicant, based upon the original registration of birth. Important Notice: You must submit a long form original birth certificate. Short form birth certificates will not be accepted.

The certificate must contain the:

The date of issue is irrelevant as long as it conforms with the above.

Take a look at the current and past timelines spreadsheets (links available on the AOS process spreadsheet) to get an idea of the processing times applicable to your FO.

Hi there,

I had a question about the supporting documents I have to include for the AoS package. I'm German and therefore my documents (high school certificate, university certificate, birth certificate) were issued in a language other than English. When I get a certified translation does that have to include an Apostille service? Where will I best have those certified copies made?

Cheers

Hi there,

I had a question about the supporting documents I have to include for the AoS package. I'm German and therefore my documents (high school certificate, university certificate, birth certificate) were issued in a language other than English. When I get a certified translation does that have to include an Apostille service? Where will I best have those certified copies made?

Cheers

For AOS, an Apostille service isn't required. The foreign language issued document just needs to have a certified translation.

Anyone (outside of yourself or your family member) fluent in both the foreign language and English language can carry out the translation, as long as they include a signed certify statement with the translated copies.

I already filled out my DS-260 Form on June 8th where I mentioned that I would further process for the GC through AOS, now I am thinking of switching to CP. But, I am still very confused about this decision.
1. Will it affect my process if I switch to CP now ?
2. Will it have any repercussions in my case, and if so what are they?
3. Is there a deadline by which I can maybe change to CP?
After changing to CP, I am thinking about getting married after my second letter arrives, but I filled out the DS-260 Form as single.
4. Till when can I change my marital status?
I have been going out with someone from back home for a year, but its a long distance relationship.
5. Will they take it as a sham marriage if I change to CP and go back and get married and apply for GC as a couple ?
6. What are the risks involved in doing so?
7. Is there any option to bring your spouse to US through permanent residency ? How long does it take ?

Sincerely,
Summit Kayastha

I already filled out my DS-260 Form on June 8th where I mentioned that I would further process for the GC through AOS, now I am thinking of switching to CP. But, I am still very confused about this decision.
1. Will it affect my process if I switch to CP now ?
2. Will it have any repercussions in my case, and if so what are they?
3. Is there a deadline by which I can maybe change to CP?
After changing to CP, I am thinking about getting married after my second letter arrives, but I filled out the DS-260 Form as single.
4. Till when can I change my marital status?
I have been going out with someone from back home for a year, but its a long distance relationship.
5. Will they take it as a sham marriage if I change to CP and go back and get married and apply for GC as a couple ?
6. What are the risks involved in doing so?
7. Is there any option to bring your spouse to US through permanent residency ? How long does it take ?

Sincerely,
Summit Kayastha

1. It may or may not. A CP interview date, in addition to being CN dependent also depends on when the DS-260 form (with a CP option indicated) is submitted - KCC is taking, on average, about 3 months to process the DS form for CP cases - something that's not done for AOS.

2. See 1 above

3. No deadline is officially established, however since the last set of interviews for the last month of the applicable FY, September, gets scheduled in July, you don't want to delay the submission later than April/May - June at the most. If you're planning on getting married, do so before contacting KCC about changing your processing option. Waiting until after receiving the 2NL before trying to add a spouse as a derivative is not a smart move. You want to do that before the 2NL gets sent.

4. See 3 above.

5. The onus will be on you to convince them your marriage is genuine. You'll be expected to present additional evidence, outside of a marriage certificate, of an existing relationship prior to your DV selection.

6. See 5 above.

7. If you opt to process your DV selection alone, your next option of bringing in your spouse will be through the F2A family sponsorship process - which is currently a 2 year process.

It shouldn't be (hopefully). However only the IO has the final say.

So if I get an affidavit from a lawyer confirming that the name in my B/C and the name in my passport refers to the same person, will that be helpful? Or is there anything else I can do regarding this matter? Thanks in advance.

So if I get an affidavit from a lawyer confirming that the name in my B/C and the name in my passport refers to the same person, will that be helpful? Or is there anything else I can do regarding this matter? Thanks in advance.

You're really stressing over nothing IMO, I already told you that isn't like to be a problem.

Regarding asking a lawyer to prepare a sworn affidavit for you, ask yourself if you're the IO and someone presents a sworn affidavit from a lawyer who has no personal knowledge of them but is willing to attest the names are those of the person - will you give any weight to that affidavit? But go ahead and get it if you think it's necessary.

1. It may or may not. A CP interview date, in addition to being CN dependent also depends on when the DS-260 form (with a CP option indicated) is submitted - KCC is taking, on average, about 3 months to process the DS form for CP cases - something that's not done for AOS.

2. See 1 above

3. No deadline is officially established, however since the last set of interviews for the last month of the applicable FY, September, gets scheduled in July, you don't want to delay the submission later than April/May - June at the most. If you're planning on getting married, do so before contacting KCC about changing your processing option. Waiting until after receiving the 2NL before trying to add a spouse as a derivative is not a smart move. You want to do that before the 2NL gets sent.

4. See 3 above.

5. The onus will be on you to convince them your marriage is genuine. You'll be expected to present additional evidence, outside of a marriage certificate, of an existing relationship prior to your DV selection.

6. See 5 above.

7. If you opt to process your DV selection alone, your next option of bringing in your spouse will be through the F2A family sponsorship process - which is currently a 2 year process.

Thank You for your reply.

1. My case number is AS57XX and I still have a long way to go before my CN becomes current, if I change it now will it count as me submitting the DS260 form today or does the earlier date of June 8th count as the date of submission?

2. Also, if I choose CP I will only receive a second letter that has an interview date on it, is that correct ?

3. Why do you suggest that I get married and then change the option to CP? If I ask them to unlock the DS-260 form more than once will it count against me ??

4. What are any other additional evidence that you suggest I should show in case of a marriage ?

5. Lastly, when can I expect a 2NL from KCC that would say that I chose to continue with AOS ? Will it be too late if I change to CP after I receive that letter ?

Hi Super Moderator,

I am just going through this forum now, as I have been selected in the DV 2017 program. I am currently on an L-1 Visa (Australian Citizen) currently working in the US so will be applying for AOS, and my CN number is OC000008xx.

1. Could you please advise when you would expect my CN number to become current?
2. Based on this anticipated timing, when would it be suggested to file my forms/application?
3. When should I file my DS-260 form (as this is my intent to migrate)? I was planning to return home to Australia for vacation Dec 9 2016 through Jan 6 2017... do you think I would still be able to travel during this time?

I will be using the spreadsheet you have provided to get me through this process and would like to thank you in advance for taking the time and effort to help all of us with our questions :) You're a star!

Much appreciated.

Thank You for your reply.

1. My case number is AS57XX and I still have a long way to go before my CN becomes current, if I change it now will it count as me submitting the DS260 form today or does the earlier date of June 8th count as the date of submission?

2. Also, if I choose CP I will only receive a second letter that has an interview date on it, is that correct ?

3. Why do you suggest that I get married and then change the option to CP? If I ask them to unlock the DS-260 form more than once will it count against me ??

4. What are any other additional evidence that you suggest I should show in case of a marriage ?

5. Lastly, when can I expect a 2NL from KCC that would say that I chose to continue with AOS ? Will it be too late if I change to CP after I receive that letter ?

1. The applicable date will be from when you make the switch from AOS to CP.

2. KCC will schedule the interview for CP and they will notify you of the interview date.

3. Because if you make the change now, you may get scheduled for an interview before you get married which will make adding your spouse harder.

4. Communications with one another, photos taken together before marriage, evidence of trips taken together, joint accounts, joint leases, wedding invitation, family photos, etc.

5. No, it will not be too late.

Hi Super Moderator,

I am just going through this forum now, as I have been selected in the DV 2017 program. I am currently on an L-1 Visa (Australian Citizen) currently working in the US so will be applying for AOS, and my CN number is OC000008xx.

1. Could you please advise when you would expect my CN number to become current?
2. Based on this anticipated timing, when would it be suggested to file my forms/application?
3. When should I file my DS-260 form (as this is my intent to migrate)? I was planning to return home to Australia for vacation Dec 9 2016 through Jan 6 2017... do you think I would still be able to travel during this time?

I will be using the spreadsheet you have provided to get me through this process and would like to thank you in advance for taking the time and effort to help all of us with our questions :) You're a star!

Much appreciated.

1. I try to not predict for people, unless the CN is one that will obviously become current in Oct. You can take a look at some of the past VB and make an educated guess yourself.

2. The AOS spreadsheet has some guidance and words of caution on when to send in the AOS package.

3. You may do so now or wait. Since you're on a dual intent visa, an immigrant intent display is not something you should be worried about.

Hello,
I have a question for the financial support/ affidavit of support. What do you think is considered sufficient savings to not need a a sponsor? I am a graduate student and I receive a stipend (I have W-2 s) and I was able to accumulate some savings. I am just not sure if that is sufficient.

Thank you!!!

Hello,
I have a question for the financial support/ affidavit of support. What do you think is considered sufficient savings to not need a a sponsor? I am a graduate student and I receive a stipend (I have W-2 s) and I was able to accumulate some savings. I am just not sure if that is sufficient.

Thank you!!!

My suggestion: if on a student visa, get an affidavit of support as a back up financial evidence document. If you're working and earn an income above the applicable poverty guideline, then it is possible you may not be required to present an affidavit of support.

Thank you for your suggestion!
If I am using my own savings to show evidence of financial support, will I need to get an official bank statement or will a printed copy be sufficient?

I don't recall "evidence of financial support" being required as a document for CP (perhaps, they ask about one's financial state at the interview?!), so how come it is applicable for AoS?

What if I am an undergraduate student who doesn't have any relative in the US? I may not be working/have savings now, but obviously my parents and I are spending money and time on my education in order to work latter...Isn't payment of college tuition proof of "sufficient funds", at least for the moment?

Thank you for your suggestion!
If I am using my own savings to show evidence of financial support, will I need to get an official bank statement or will a printed copy be sufficient?

I hope the savings is a substantial amount if that's what you're planning on using. An affidavit of support or a letter of employment typically carries more weight. Anyway, for the savings, a printed copy may do.