• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hi Mom,

Ready to send AOS package and I just realized, that my I-797 form (requested in a list of doc) is actually I-797A... Both forms looks very similar, mine includes I-94 part as well... I think I threw the second one away some years ago :( Do you think, I can send 797A version instead? Do I need to request a copy of I-797 and bring it to the interview? Please advise. Thanks!

Hi Mom,

Ready to send AOS package and I just realized, that my I-797 form (requested in a list of doc) is actually I-797A... Both forms looks very similar, mine includes I-94 part as well... I think I threw the second one away some years ago :( Do you think, I can send 797A version instead? Do I need to request a copy of I-797 and bring it to the interview? Please advise. Thanks!

You can send your package with the I-797A (NOA issued as a replacement I-94).

@Sm1smom Mom, it's been 3 weeks since my interview and IO still hasn't requested the KCC file. I'll wait another week, and if IO still hasn't requested by then then i'll make an infopass. IO has mentioned that my fingerprint check (background check?) has cleared and she wrote down some confirmation number of my i-485. At the end of the interview i did bring up the KCC file and after quickly looking at her computer she confirmed that she would need a file from them. Is this unusual? I noticed on the 2015 timeline some people had to wait a month or two after the interview to get the GC, but I'm guessing those were due to uncleared background checks at the time of interview.

@Sm1smom Mom, it's been 3 weeks since my interview and IO still hasn't requested the KCC file. I'll wait another week, and if IO still hasn't requested by then then i'll make an infopass. IO has mentioned that my fingerprint check (background check?) has cleared and she wrote down some confirmation number of my i-485. At the end of the interview i did bring up the KCC file and after quickly looking at her computer she confirmed that she would need a file from them. Is this unusual? I noticed on the 2015 timeline some people had to wait a month or two after the interview to get the GC, but I'm guessing those were due to uncleared background checks at the time of interview.

Not necessarily unusual. DV based AOS cases are relatively small compared to all the other AOS cases the IOs deal with, so it's not usual to come across an IO who isn't previously aware of the KCC file step on a DV based AOS petition.

The delayed decision stage noted on the 2015 timeline spreadsheet isn't necessarily background check delay related. Most of them, as a matter of fact had to do with the KCC file stage. It took 4-6 weeks for KCC to respond to the file requests from the FOs back then - they seem to have improved on that this year though based on what's been reported so far for 2016.

Hi All,

We had our interview earlier today. It went okay.
Couple of things:
* There was another person in the room together with the IO. I'm guessing FO is under audit or smth. Anyway, both officers were nice and pleasant.
* IO was surprised that I didn't receive my appointment letter(only my wife did, I'm the primary applicant); he has actually shown me a copy of IL that they were supposed to send out, so either the person that was mailing or the post office messed up. Anyway, that was not a problem.
* First issue was that we did not fill out I-134 Affidavit for Support form for my wife. Perhaps I misunderstood the guidelines in the spreadsheet, but I thought that I do not need that form because I am employed and my wife doesn't need it because she's derivative of my application. IO printed out the form and I filled it there. If that's something new - may be a good amendment to the guidelines in the spreadsheet.
* Second issue was that the doctor did not sign one of the I-693 forms. IO offered us to go get the signature and bring back the document ourselves(he notified guards that we'll come back). If we were to mail the document back he said he would have to issue an RFE.
* Third issue is interesting.
He said he could not get some file on me. Asked if I had any pending applications with USCIS - my company has filed PERM and I-140(but not I-485) and he's saying that someone else is holding the file for that other application.
He said he would need to contact the person that's holding the file, explain the situation and get the file from them. He mentioned that it probably will take a while to get that file because of all the communication that needs to happen and that would probably be another officer working on our case because it will fall into the review queue.
If there was no issue with the file, he said he would have approved the application today.
When we came back with the signed letter - he said he now has all the information, but cannot do anything until that file is received.

Sm1smom, do you recall any issues from previous years when IO would not be able to access the file on the applicant? Specifically when there's a pending I-140 filed?
Finally, month and a half after our interview I got the Card Production Ordered notification!
I wish good luck to everyone here and would like to express gratitude to Sm1smom for preparing the spreadsheets and the support here on the forum!

Hi,

I have a question regarding the payment for medical exam. My doctor said that it is not covered by insurance and she charges $200 per person. When I asked my insurance to call the doctor she explained them that she does not have a code to provide to insurance for this exam.
1) Is there indeed no insurance code for this medical exam?
2) Can it be that another doctor will be able to charge my insurance?
3) What is the fair price for the medical exam?

Thanks!

Finally, month and a half after our interview I got the Card Production Ordered notification!
I wish good luck to everyone here and would like to express gratitude to Sm1smom for preparing the spreadsheets and the support here on the forum!

Congratulations and glad to have been of help!

Hi,

I have a question regarding the payment for medical exam. My doctor said that it is not covered by insurance and she charges $200 per person. When I asked my insurance to call the doctor she explained them that she does not have a code to provide to insurance for this exam.
1) Is there indeed no insurance code for this medical exam?
2) Can it be that another doctor will be able to charge my insurance?
3) What is the fair price for the medical exam?

Thanks!

1. Majority of the CS do not accept medical insurance for the immigration medical exam.
2. Possible. You can shop around/call other listed CS in your area to find out if any other is willing to bill your medical insurance.
3. I think the $200 charge is a fair one. It could be anywhere between $175 - $700. It's an unregulated charge, the CS can charge whatever they deem fit, hence the reluctance to accept medical insurance.

1. Majority of the CS do not accept medical insurance for the immigration medical exam.
2. Possible. You can shop around/call other listed CS in your area to find out if any other is willing to bill your medical insurance.
3. I think the $200 charge is a fair one. It could be anywhere between $175 - $700. It's an unregulated charge, the CS can charge whatever they deem fit, hence the reluctance to accept medical insurance.

Thanks a lot for the reply.
So if some provider will accept the insurance, what will be the "Claim Code" or "Service Description" for this exam? I would like to verify with the insurance company that they cover it.
Also, are the shots required (if needed) usually covered?

Thanks a lot for the reply.
So if some provider will accept the insurance, what will be the "Claim Code" or "Service Description" for this exam? I would like to verify with the insurance company that they cover it.
Also, are the shots required (if needed) usually covered?

It's not just any service provider, it has to be a USCIS approved CS. And anyone of them willing to accept insurance will be clearly aware of what claim code to charge to. It's not a case of not knowing which claim code or service description to use, it's more of a case of making quick money.

Read the section on the spreadsheet where I talked about the medical exam to see how you may possibly cut down on the applicable costs.

It's not just any service provider, it has to be a USCIS approved CS. And anyone of them willing to accept insurance will be clearly aware of what claim code to charge to. It's not a case of not knowing which claim code or service description to use, it's more of a case of making quick money.

Read the section on the spreadsheet where I talked about the medical exam to see how you may possibly cut down on the applicable costs.

Thank you very much.

Hello all,

Some updates on my case, my FO is San Antonio which is very close to the border and always a lot of people there. I have sent my file on Aug 2015 and have not received the IL yet. Paid a visit to the FO last month and they said my interview should be scheduled either Jan or Feb but I did not receive any letter. I had and info pass last week as well and they said the soonest time they have available is late March and told me to wait and see if I get any IL by then. I told them about the DV case and the time frame we had. Is there anything I can do right now? Any recommendation?
I see a couple of people having the same problem with NYFO as well.

Hello all,

Some updates on my case, my FO is San Antonio which is very close to the border and always a lot of people there. I have sent my file on Aug 2015 and have not received the IL yet. Paid a visit to the FO last month and they said my interview should be scheduled either Jan or Feb but I did not receive any letter. I had and info pass last week as well and they said the soonest time they have available is late March and told me to wait and see if I get any IL by then. I told them about the DV case and the time frame we had. Is there anything I can do right now? Any recommendation?
Same story with the FO in MN. Already had two INFOPASSes.

Hello all,

Same here. LA county office. I will have second INFOPASS next week.

Hi All,
I have the following questions:

1) We are currently on the O1/O3 status and previously were on the J1/J2. Do we have an Alien Number (A-number)?

2) Question 16 in i-485: "Have you EVER been a member of, assisted in, or participated in any group, unit, or organization of any kind in which you or other person used any type of weapon against any person or threatened to do so?".
In my home country I did a mandatory military service. Although my job in the army was not related directly to any combats or so, how should I treat this question? Being served in the army automatically enforces me to answer "yes" to this question, right? Is there any negative effect can be caused by it in getting the greencard?

3) Questions 16-18 in i-765: "Eligibility Category". I can't find the DV-lottery category in the "Who may file form i-765" document. What category should I put there?

Thanks a lot!

Like I said before, those are two different petitions, more or less independent of each other. Regardless of the fact that the AOS petition is formally acknowledged and accepted, the result of the F1 petition (if issued before the AOS petition) matters. If the F1 gets decided first, and the outcome is an approval, you're good. If it's a denial, and assuming your current visitor's visa has expired, you're deemed out of status which makes you ineligible to file AOS regardless of that petition's current acceptance status. One is required to be in a valid status all the way to the time of the interview.

I wanted to share an argument that the lawyer is going to use in case my F1 is still pending at the time of the interview( since we are getting a little bit closer- next week we have the biometrics appointment). I would appreciate any thoughts here;

On Uscis website states that an applicant is eligible to apply for a Green card thru Dv Lottery if:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/ot...card-through-diversity-immigrant-visa-program

-have been selected for a dv visa by DOS lottery
-has a visa nr available at the time of
application
-applicants are admissible to the United States at the time of the application

As clear as possible. We meet all these criteria, I would say. First 2 are very clear.

The 3rd one is considered by the lawyer as follows. The fact that we are in 'pending' at this moment and at the moment that last I-94 expired( 2015 Sep), we timely filed a change of status to F1 back in May 2015, keeps us in an authorized period of stay until a decision is made ( Based on a Uscis memorandum from May 6th, 2009 )which does not count towards grounds of inadmissibility or unlawful presence( and ultimately does not make us inadmissible to the Us at all).

Thank you!

Hi Mom,

Hope you are doing great.
I submitted my DS260 a couple months ago and I already received my 2NL. My question is can I still unlock it or is too late ? And in case I can still unlocked it, will I receive a second 2NL, and is it worth doing that or putting the correct information in my I485 will be sufficient ?
Many thanks.

Hello Mom,
Thank you for addressing all my previous questions:) Our AOS package was delivered two weeks ago, but we haven't got NOA yet! As you said in your previous post to go through TIMELINE, I went through it and most of the people have got their NOA within the time frame of 1-2 weeks. Any suggestions? (Just letting you know that our DV case just got current this month/FEB)
Thank you!

Hello Mom,
Thank you for addressing all my previous questions:) Our AOS package was delivered two weeks ago, but we haven't got NOA yet! As you said in your previous post to go through TIMELINE, I went through it and most of the people have got their NOA within the time frame of 1-2 weeks. Any suggestions? (Just letting you know that our DV case just got current this month/FEB)
Thank you!
I got the text/email for acceptance in 1 week and 2 weeks later I got the NOAs. I suppose you received your Text/emails?