Wife misrepresented her marital status on green card

liberalguy

Sponsored my wife from Canada two years ago. She was in India at that time. Last year she received her green card through her parents and moved to US. We havent started living together as I was waiting for the canadian immigration to give her the papers. Anyways, my wife put her marital status as Single in green card in order to attain it, otherwise she wouldve not received the card. What are the outcomes of misrepresenting? Is it a big deal? Does US govt really care? We havent lived together, but I am legally married to her in Canadian and Indian papers.

Any help with be appreciated

So she knowingly lied in order to get a Green Card she would not otherwise have been able to get?

Out of interest - do you think that's a "big deal"?

I didn't know about the fact that she had lied. Now that I know, even I am concerned and I'd rather have her lose her green card. She will end up getting canadian immigration anyways.

Material misrepresentation is a lifetime ban on entry to the US. This misrepresentation was material because she was actually not eligible for the green card.

Material misrepresentation is a lifetime ban on entry to the US. This misrepresentation was material because she was actually not eligible for the green card.
I know, but the thing is we never lived together. We just got married two years ago in India and I submitted her papers at the Canadian immigration. I was waiting for her to move to Canada to start a life. She was still with her parents during the whole time.

I know, but the thing is we never lived together. We just got married two years ago in India and I submitted her papers at the Canadian immigration. I was waiting for her to move to Canada to start a life. She was still with her parents during the whole time.

Completely irrelevant! To quote you: "but I am legally married to her in Canadian and Indian papers". She engaged in material misrepresentation, she lied to obtain the immigration benefit she otherwise wouldn't have qualified for.

Edit:
The wriggle room she may have for what she did will be if you guys had an unconsummated proxy marriage as at the time of her GC application. Were you there in person for your wedding in India?

Last edited:
Completely irrelevant! To quote you: "but I am legally married to her in Canadian and Indian papers". She engaged in material misrepresentation, she lied to obtain the immigration benefit she otherwise wouldn't have qualified for.

Edit:
The wriggle room she may have for what she did will be if you guys had an unconsummated proxy marriage as at the time of her GC application. Were you there in person for your wedding in India?
Yes, I was there in person and we had invited over 200 guests, took pictures, videos etc. The wedding ceremony lasted for three days. But the thing is, there is no way for the American immigration to find this out. The Canadian immigration will not share such info with the Americans unless it is pretty serious. What she declared on her green card is american immigration's headache. Canadian immigration does not care.

Yes, I was there in person and we had invited over 200 guests, took pictures, videos etc. The wedding ceremony lasted for three days. But the thing is, there is no way for the American immigration to find this out. The Canadian immigration will not share such info with the Americans unless it is pretty serious. What she declared on her green card is american immigration's headache. Canadian immigration does not care.

Fine, go ahead and believe what you will.

Out of curiosity though, if you're already convinced "what she declared on her green card is american immigration's headache" why on earth are you posting here and asking for guidance? Why are you asking if it's a big deal or not?

Apparently, you believe a crime is only a crime if you get caught...

Anyways, my wife put her marital status as Single in green card in order to attain it,

Nothing new; plenty of immigrants lie and cheat their way to a life in the US. Your wife is just one of several..

What matters is how you deal with what's already happened. Either you guys make your lives in the US, or in Canada. But if the facts catch up to her at some point, she could land in big trouble down the road.

That will then be your headache too..

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, we are on the same boat. I understand your feeling because I feel the same about this said misrepresentation. What I wanted to know from you guys was how bad of a crime is that. Also, I have been trying to convince her to abandon her green card as it was acquired through misrepresentation. She is not willing to listen to me. At the end of the day, her Canadian immigration will be jeopardized and we will both suffer. However, she does not want to keep the Canadian citizenship as she thinks she can do whatever she wants with her green card. How do I convince her to abandon her green card? Who do I contact for help?

My apologies to everyone who i have hurt with my posts. I am going through tremendous amount of stress as I never expected that my wife would lie about her marital status. It is not only a misrepresentation of facts, it is also extremely embarassing for me as her husband.

No offense but I was looking into statistics of the success rate of USCIS and ICE on immigration and it seems like they are extremely lenient on going after green card fraud. And those that do get caught by the USCIS are mostly given waivers. I am not my woman's enemy but I want her to do the right thing. I dont want her to get into some serious trouble where her family gets involved. I dont want her parents to be involved. She is too naiive to understand the mess she is in. Ive visited US many times and I know how serious the immigration is there, but at the same time, I'd want her to do the right thing and dont jeopardize her canadian immigartion.

No offense but I was looking into statistics of the success rate of USCIS and ICE on immigration and it seems like they are extremely lenient on going after green card fraud. And those that do get caught by the USCIS are mostly given waivers. I am not my woman's enemy but I want her to do the right thing. I dont want her to get into some serious trouble where her family gets involved. I dont want her parents to be involved. She is too naiive to understand the mess she is in. Ive visited US many times and I know how serious the immigration is there, but at the same time, I'd want her to do the right thing and dont jeopardize her canadian immigartion.

You asked who you could contact and you don't think that will work. So talk to your wife then. Or don't. Your choice.