Citizenship, status, passport, tight timeline, son in india, travel - big dilemma, need help

sanix70

I am going to apply for citizenship 90 days rule in April first week, hoping for things to go all well, I am expecting my oath to be in Aug. I have few questions and concerns for my son's citizenship who is turning 18 in Oct. I have rather tight timeline and worried a lot, please provide your responses- TIA.
1) The day of oath is my citizenship status date, the day I will get my naturalization certificate I assume ? This means applying passport and returning my naturalization certificate is only a follow on actions and formality?
2) I read in forums that receiving passport is quicker than certificate of citizenship, what is the purpose of certificate of citizenship if we can get passport ?
3) Do I have to give my Indian passport at time of Oath ? I don't think so, need a response.
4) If I have to travel to India after oath but before I receive my US passport can I travel on Indian passport ?
5) Can I apply for OCI (Overseas citizen of India) card immediately after I get naturalization certificate OR I need to wait until I get my US passport ?
6) my son and my wife will be going to India for his undergraduate study, so at my oath time he will be in India in college, he will go with his GC/Indian passport in hand (he has been here for last 10 yrs until high school). Can I safely assume if I get my citizenship before he turns 18, he will automatically get it ?
7) Tricky part is where and when can I apply for his passport ? Can I apply his passport based on my naturalization certificate OR wait until I get my US passport ? Can we apply in US Consulate in India ? Should he be in US for this purpose ?
8) I think we can apply for his OCI card from being in India too, after we get his US passport - can we ? I just don't want his college schedules to be disturbed in this citizenship/passport tangle.

I am going to apply for citizenship 90 days rule in April first week, hoping for things to go all well, I am expecting my oath to be in Aug. I have few questions and concerns for my son's citizenship who is turning 18 in Oct. I have rather tight timeline and worried a lot, please provide your responses- TIA.
1) The day of oath is my citizenship status date, the day I will get my naturalization certificate I assume ? This means applying passport and returning my naturalization certificate is only a follow on actions and formality?
Yes. You can choose to apply for a US passport at any time after you become a US citizen (which happens when you take the oath), including as soon as the day of the oath. Or, you can never get a US passport if you want to never leave the US.

2) I read in forums that receiving passport is quicker than certificate of citizenship, what is the purpose of certificate of citizenship if we can get passport ?
You will get a Certificate of Naturalization when you take the oath. The Certificate of Citizenship is not applicable to you; that is only for people who are US citizens but didn't go through the naturalization process (e.g. children who automatically became citizens).

3) Do I have to give my Indian passport at time of Oath ? I don't think so, need a response.
No. US does not ever care about the existence of any other nationalities or passports you may have (or will have) at all. It's just irrelevant to the US. When you are a US citizen, you are a US citizen; that's all that matters to the US. Whether you have the nationality of some other country is determined by the law of the country. The US does not care about nor inquire about whether you will continue to possess other nationalities, or later acquire new nationalities, under those countries' laws.

4) If I have to travel to India after oath but before I receive my US passport can I travel on Indian passport ?
According to Indian law, Indian citizenship is automatically lost when an Indian citizen voluntarily acquires a foreign nationality. Since you will no longer have Indian citizenship according to Indian law, you should no longer travel on an Indian passport. Again, the US has nothing to do with this; this is completely India's business.

5) Can I apply for OCI (Overseas citizen of India) card immediately after I get naturalization certificate OR I need to wait until I get my US passport ?
Not sure about this.

6) my son and my wife will be going to India for his undergraduate study, so at my oath time he will be in India in college, he will go with his GC/Indian passport in hand (he has been here for last 10 yrs until high school). Can I safely assume if I get my citizenship before he turns 18, he will automatically get it ?
Your son is a US permanent resident under 18, I assume? No. He will only automatically become a US citizen if he is in the US. Since he will be out of the US at the time you become a citizen, he will only automatically become a citizen the next time he enters the US, if he is still under 18 at that time.

7) Tricky part is where and when can I apply for his passport ? Can I apply his passport based on my naturalization certificate OR wait until I get my US passport ? Can we apply in US Consulate in India ? Should he be in US for this purpose ?
You can apply for his US passport based on your Certificate of Naturalization and his green card, and proof he is residing with you in the US before 18. You can apply anywhere as long as he is a US citizen, which, again, won't be the case until after he returns to the US after you naturalize.

8) I think we can apply for his OCI card from being in India too, after we get his US passport - can we ? I just don't want his college schedules to be disturbed in this citizenship/passport tangle.
Not sure about this.