Passport questions...

Danh tran

Hello everyone! I have some questions and would greatly appreciate any advice. I'm current 33 years old. Both of my parents became citizens before I turned 18. I only recently found out about automatic citizenship through my parent's naturalization. I sent out my n600 last month (June, 2015). I searched around and the wait time for that is around 6-8 months. Then, I read some more and heard that I could get a passport faster with the same documents that I needed for my n600. So I went to my local post office and spoke with the passport agent and she said because I'm an adult now, I would have to get my citizenship certificate before I could apply for a passport...? I'm so bummed. Has the law changed or something? Please tell me that I just went to a person that didn't know what she was doing. Thanks for your time!!

Try going to another place. You should be able to get a US passport based on what you have; at least they should let you submit it and let the State Department decide.

Try going to another place. You should be able to get a US passport based on what you have; at least they should let you submit it and let the State Department decide.

So I went to another place and waited for 3 hours. When I finally got to speak with the lady, she seemed like she didn't want to do it because I didn't have my citizenship certificate. I told her about the secondary documents that could be used and then she hesitantly said "we could try" to use those documents, but there is going to be an addition $150 fee they will charge me to "search for my information". I told her that all the information is here so why would you need to charge me that? I'll try another location. Hopefully 3rd time's a charm. Thanks for your reply by the way, keeping my hopes up!

They also have some non-post-office locations like county clerks or courthouses, etc., where the people may be more knowledgeable.

travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/services/file-search.html

So there's an extra $150 file search fee that will get charged on top of the other passport fees for them to search my information even though I have everything presented! The thing is, the moment they ask for my citizenship certificate and I say I don't have one, their whole attitude changes... I tell them I'm a citizen through my parents and their reaction is still the same. I tell them about the n600 and they tell me I would have to wait for that to get my passport. Funny thing is even uscis says I should get a passport first.... I'm frustrated and I'm just going to wait for the n600 to go through now.

A search is pointless because you've never had a US passport or CRBA to search for. It will do no good.

I'd recommend getting a refundable flight that departs within 2 weeks, get an appointment at the nearest passport office, and go there. Once you get your passport, get a refund on your flight.

I actually went to my county clerk and they accepted my documents with no problem. I can't believe the USPS' staff act the way they do. I'm not sure if they know what they are doing! Thanks for your advice newacct! Thanks to you cafeconloche, thankfully they accepted my documents already.. Although I find your way a bit much lol

Hello everyone! I have some questions and would greatly appreciate any advice. I'm current 33 years old. Both of my parents became citizens before I turned 18. I only recently found out about automatic citizenship through my parent's naturalization. I sent out my n600 last month (June, 2015). I searched around and the wait time for that is around 6-8 months. Then, I read some more and heard that I could get a passport faster with the same documents that I needed for my n600. So I went to my local post office and spoke with the passport agent and she said because I'm an adult now, I would have to get my citizenship certificate before I could apply for a passport...? I'm so bummed. Has the law changed or something? Please tell me that I just went to a person that didn't know what she was doing. Thanks for your time!!
What documents you submitted with your passport application? You and I about the same age almost the same situation my mom died when I was 14 so I got her death certificate my dad certificate of citizenship my green card and my birth certificate with both parents Name on it... Your advice would be great... Thanks!!!

I sent in my foreign birth certificate, my mother's birth certificate, my father's birth certificate, their marriage license and their certificates of citizenship, and my green card. All the foreign birth certificates and marriage certificate were translated and notarized. Hope that answered your question!

Consider lodging complaints against those who did not accept your documentation. Something needs to be done about this lack of understanding that is pervasive at the post office!

I was actually considering doing so... Not just because they did not know the law... But the way the we're looking at me while they where talking to me. Like they were looking down on me and I'm a waste of time. All they had to do, was submit the application. The department of state would decide what they want to do with my application. The two employees at the two post offices that I went to didn't even want to do anything about it! Waiting for hours to only to be told that I don't have the CoC... They need training.

Am not sure why DoS start processing my us passport app without catching the money order though.

I thought they would collect the money before accepting it

Last edited by a moderator: