• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

We are here!

We landed on Wednesday night and have spent the last two days moving into our apartment, buying furniture and getting all the essentials (phones, tv, cable, internet) set up.

So far, thrilled.

Just a few things for those yet to go, just based on our experience.

Apartments - we leased before we arrived. I had been told it would be unlikely that we would get a lease without actually being here and without a job, but we managed to do it with neither. And without a guarantor. I don't think there was any magic formula to getting the lease other than I spoke to the leasing agents alot from Australia, so they knew me and knew our plans, which made their decision less risky. It was great only having to spend one night in a hotel. On Thursday we moved into the apartment and it started to feel like home straight away.

Utilities - once I had an address, I organised for all the utilities to be installed from Australia. That meant calling them at ungodly Australian hours (I was on the phone at 4am in Au), but trying to get them all to line up on the right days. It meant that, when we arrived, everything had been done that needed to be done.

Banking - we opened a bank account on our activation trip in June and had been depositing money ever since (whenever the dollar got to around 72c). On Thursday, we went to our local branch and set up secured credit cards so that we can start building a credit score.

Phones - we bought pre-paid sims before we left Australia. So I'm using my Australian phone (which was purchased outright and never locked to any network) with an AT&T sim in it. It meant that, as soon as we landed in LA, we had a phone with data attached to it. So useful when you first land and need to make phone calls, do internet searches, navigate your way around.

So the adventure begins... let's see how we go!

What a fantastic way to start your adventure. Wishing you all the best for your new US life (hopefully we'll be there soon too).

Where did you get pre-paid US phone sims from?

Hi @EmilyW. I am interested in learning a bit more on how you managed to book that apartment.

1) Did you do this online?
2) How did you arrange the upfront deposit and monthly rental payments from AU?

I am planning to do the same from my home country, Fiji, before departing to US in mid April. I am heading to Columbus, Ohio so looking for apartments somewhere near in Westerville. I am using Zillow and Trulia to look at some apartments but me thinks that the price is a bit overstated and I would get something for much cheaper if I actually go in person while in US. But again, I need to arrange accommodation before I depart and prolonged hotel stays do not suit my budget (expect for a brief layover in LAX)...

@LazyDoggie, we did the following. We had visited the apartment complex during our activation trip and had met the leasing agents, so we knew what the apartments were like.

1) We did the application form online once we had our SSN. In our complex, they allow short-term leases so it was just a matter of waiting for a suitable apartment to become available and then apply for it online. We were approved within a few days. We signed the lease in Australia, scanned the signed copy and then emailed it across to the leasing agent. It was pretty simple.

2) For the deposit, we arranged for my brother (who is in the US) to send the check to the apartment complex. If you have someone in the US, it makes it alot easier as they can do the admin for you.

Our complex is owned by a group called Weinstein Properties. They have what they call 'apartment communities' that are more flexible in terms of lease arrangements than the rentals you see on Zillow and Trulia. Weinstein aren't the only ones. There are plenty that do the same depending on which part of the country. Our lease is for three months and we can extend that as many times as we like, so long as we give the leasing agent six weeks notice.

@LazyDoggie, we did the following. We had visited the apartment complex during our activation trip and had met the leasing agents, so we knew what the apartments were like.

1) We did the application form online once we had our SSN. In our complex, they allow short-term leases so it was just a matter of waiting for a suitable apartment to become available and then apply for it online. We were approved within a few days. We signed the lease in Australia, scanned the signed copy and then emailed it across to the leasing agent. It was pretty simple.

2) For the deposit, we arranged for my brother (who is in the US) to send the check to the apartment complex. If you have someone in the US, it makes it alot easier as they can do the admin for you.

Our complex is owned by a group called Weinstein Properties. They have what they call 'apartment communities' that are more flexible in terms of lease arrangements than the rentals you see on Zillow and Trulia. Weinstein aren't the only ones. There are plenty that do the same depending on which part of the country. Our lease is for three months and we can extend that as many times as we like, so long as we give the leasing agent six weeks notice.

Ah, I was wondering about renting sight unseen but you hadn't done that.

I think in general having a first rental at a complex like this is a great idea, especially being able to easily get out of it if you find something better (or have a family and need to move for schools, etc). Some of the managing companies are not as flexible with new immigrants especially those without a job lined up, so it may take a few tries to find appropriate ones.

Ah, I was wondering about renting sight unseen but you hadn't done that.

I think in general having a first rental at a complex like this is a great idea, especially being able to easily get out of it if you find something better (or have a family and need to move for schools, etc). Some of the managing companies are not as flexible with new immigrants especially those without a job lined up, so it may take a few tries to find appropriate ones.

Agreed Susie. We had visited three complexes while we were here and had met the leasing agents of all three. One was pretty disinterested in us as new immigrants, despite the fact that we were happy to pay three months lease payments upfront. The other two were great and we ended up picking one that was within walking distance of the school (we like being able to walk to school) and is on Lake Norman so we have some nice views.

This works for us while we get ourselves settled. We've signed for three months and can stay on as long as we like, so long as we give the leasing agent notice of our intentions six weeks in advance.

I love that this thread is still running... though I have neglected to keep up with it!!
It's coming up to our 1 year anniversary here in Los Angeles as of this Wednesday! It has gone so quickly and the DV process seems like a lifetime ago now!
We're still living in the apartment we moved into last Feb in Los Angeles, working in Downtown, doing pretty well together salary wise, we have traveled a lot (New Orleans, Mississippi, Memphis, Austin, New York and Seattle .. plus I did Egypt and a quick work trip to Jamaica), our credit score is up to almost 750, we have seen SO much live music and there is always something to do or see in this city. We are loving it here, despite the usual struggles adapting.

It is time for us to file our first tax return... so I'm back to ask more questions! I've been trying to use Turbo tax or HR Block's free online system to file our return, but unfortunately I cannot seem to figure out how to input that we only became residents in Feb 2015 - mostly so that it takes into account that we weren't "without health insurance" for the months we didnt' live here- currently it is penalising us for those months as well as the ones before our work insurance kicked in.
Do I need to go to an accountant? Any tips on the process?

I love that this thread is still running... though I have neglected to keep up with it!!
It's coming up to our 1 year anniversary here in Los Angeles as of this Wednesday! It has gone so quickly and the DV process seems like a lifetime ago now!
We're still living in the apartment we moved into last Feb in Los Angeles, working in Downtown, doing pretty well together salary wise, we have traveled a lot (New Orleans, Mississippi, Memphis, Austin, New York and Seattle .. plus I did Egypt and a quick work trip to Jamaica), our credit score is up to almost 750, we have seen SO much live music and there is always something to do or see in this city. We are loving it here, despite the usual struggles adapting.

It is time for us to file our first tax return... so I'm back to ask more questions! I've been trying to use Turbo tax or HR Block's free online system to file our return, but unfortunately I cannot seem to figure out how to input that we only became residents in Feb 2015 - mostly so that it takes into account that we weren't "without health insurance" for the months we didnt' live here- currently it is penalising us for those months as well as the ones before our work insurance kicked in.
Do I need to go to an accountant? Any tips on the process?
Generally speaking, during the year of transitioning between being a nonresident and a resident for tax purposes, you are, depending on specific personal circumstances, considered a Dual-Status Taxpayer. A Dual-Status Taxpayer normally files two tax returns for the year—one return for the portion of the year when considered a nonresident, and another return for the portion of the year considered a resident. In some situations, a taxpayer can elect to be treated as a full-year resident in the transition year to avoid having to file two separate returns. TurboTax does not handle federal nonresident returns, solely State nonresident returns.

Last edited:
This is probably why even the IRS suggests you get a tax professional to file in your first year as dual status.

OMG the word tax and health insurance makes me cringe. That is something I have not read a lot about on this thread.

I activated in Dec but not moving until August! When am I supposed to do my US tax? Is there a certain time of year?

Also what is everyone doing in terms of health insurance? Any tips or links to online advise would be great?

In terms of tax, the US and Australia have a treaty to ensure you don't get taxed twice. But you will need to file for December. Painful I know. I'm getting an accountant here in NC to do mine for Years 1 and 2 where I will have Australian income.

For insurance, we've gone with incoming immigrant insurance through Seven Corners. It's not Obamacare compliant but it will provide us with basic coverage should we need it. We'll use that until I get a job which provides me with compliant Obamacare health insurance. Otherwise, I'm looking at around $800 month for a family of four. Obamacare really is a hot mess in a lot of ways: I hope they can iron out the kinks.

Australia wasn't much better (last financial year, I paid close to $10,000) once I tallied up the cost of private health insurance, medicare levy and out of pocket payments (everytime we went into hospital or had an emergency - $500 deductible every time. That was $2500 for us last year). That they're proposing a lift in the GST to subsidise health care suggests that our 'free' health care is no longer sustainable. In my opinion.

In terms of tax, the US and Australia have a treaty to ensure you don't get taxed twice. But you will need to file for December. Painful I know. I'm getting an accountant here in NC to do mine for Years 1 and 2 where I will have Australian income.

For insurance, we've gone with incoming immigrant insurance through Seven Corners. It's not Obamacare compliant but it will provide us with basic coverage should we need it. We'll use that until I get a job which provides me with compliant Obamacare health insurance. Otherwise, I'm looking at around $800 month for a family of four. Obamacare really is a hot mess in a lot of ways: I hope they can iron out the kinks.

Australia wasn't much better (last financial year, I paid close to $10,000) once I tallied up the cost of private health insurance, medicare levy and out of pocket payments (everytime we went into hospital or had an emergency - $500 deductible every time. That was $2500 for us last year). That they're proposing a lift in the GST to subsidise health care suggests that our 'free' health care is no longer sustainable. In my opinion.

Thank you! So is tax time in the USA December?

The health insurance is confusing for me because I am a self employed wedding photographer and hoping I can get my business up and running there. If so not sure how insurance will work for me? Lucky I am single, yours sounds very expensive with a family.

I may end up working in a full time office job till I get settled but after that im scared!

I will need to do some more research! I love this forum. Has been extremely helpful!

Their tax year works from 1 January to 31 December. Because you activated in December, and were an LPR in December, you'll need to file for that one month. You have until April to file so plenty of time to figure it out.

If you are self-employed then, unfortunately, you're going to have to go onto the obamacare exchanges and fund yourself. The premiums you pay will depend on your state and, of course, if you're a smoker, then that will have impacts. Health care is expensive but the actual care itself is supposed to be pretty good.

Until you get settled, get something like Seven Corners. It's a good safety net. We have taken ours out for three months, assuming that I will get a job in that time and will be able to get employer funded healthcare.

Their tax year works from 1 January to 31 December. Because you activated in December, and were an LPR in December, you'll need to file for that one month. You have until April to file so plenty of time to figure it out.

If you are self-employed then, unfortunately, you're going to have to go onto the obamacare exchanges and fund yourself. The premiums you pay will depend on your state and, of course, if you're a smoker, then that will have impacts. Health care is expensive but the actual care itself is supposed to be pretty good.

Until you get settled, get something like Seven Corners. It's a good safety net. We have taken ours out for three months, assuming that I will get a job in that time and will be able to get employer funded healthcare.

Thanks for your help. So I assume I can do my tax online?

Lucky I am a non smoker!! I will be relieved once I get over there and get into the swing of things!

Some OCers have been able to do that. It's recommended you get an accountant for the first year, just to make sure your income is declared correctly. After that, you can turbo tax it online.

Last edited:
Some OCers have been able to do that. It's recommended you get an accountant for the first year, just to make sure your income is declared correctly. After that, you can turbo tax it online.
Ok cool. Do you think I can contact an accountant and do it all via email?

Ok cool. Do you think I can contact an accountant and do it all via email?

I did, but try get a recommendation from someone who has had someone do similar - dual residence filings are not that common (as a % of total) and many tax experts actually don't know how to do it properly.