Traveling With Expired Green Card?

Houstonian123

I didn't realize that my green card expired 5 months ago. I intend to travel overseas in April 2016. It was a non-conditional green card with a 10 year validity, btw.

Do I have any options or must I abandon my travelling plans (which I would hate to do)?

Thank you all for reading and responding!

File I-90 to replace the green card, and after you file, you should be able to make an InfoPass appointment at your local USCIS office and get an I-551 stamp. That is equivalent to a green card.

Thank you for the response!

Can I file an N-400 and still get an I-551 stamp? Or is that only possible with an I-90?
Yes, if they let you file an N-400, you should be able to get an I-551 stamp. I'm not sure they will let you file with an expired card though.

You'll have to pay for the GC renewal whether or not you apply for naturalisation... too late to save money, unfortunately.

Once you apply for the renewal, they might also extend your current GC by a year by putting a sticker on the back doing so (they did this for a friend of mine last month). You could then use that to travel. If they don't do this where you go for fingerprinting (this was done in Oakland, CA), you'll need to get it at an Infopass appointment.