J1 Waiver Approval - Complete timeline (India citizen)

j1 waiver help

Hi Dheeraj,
How are you doing?

Actually, i was in the US before on J1, but after doing my training, I went back to Chandigarh(home).
Now I am back on F1 and I live in Philadelphia.
As you have successfully gone through the process,
Would you please about How to get started the J1 waiver on the basis of NORI.
Is it possible to talk over the phone.
garyphilly@gmail.com is my email.
I'd highly appreciate your efforts.

regards.

Hey guys

Most of the information is available here on this forum, right from small things like 'what envelope is needed' to 'writing a statement of reason'. Try a lil bit thru search, I am sure u will get all information u want. If not, pls leave ur questions here, I will try my best to answer.

Good luck to u all.

D

Hi Dheeraj,
I am an exchange student at Austin Texas on J1 with the 2 yr restriction applying to me under the skills list. I do not have any sort of sponsorship/financing. I return to India in a month and I want to start the waiver process as soon as I get back in India. I know that you started your process here. But I wanted to know if you are aware of how to start the process in India; I have seen on websites that say that the process can be started at the appropriate ministries in India but none of them mention which minstry etc. Do you have any idea? Also, which were the 3 ministry departments that your parents contacted in India...if you could get me the address and the details...it would be great. My mail id is vipbat@gmail.com in case you want to use that. Any input would be really helpful as I want to come back and work here full-time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dheeraj
Thanks for providing good information.

I m also on JI visa and trying hard to get NORI from INDIA.Can you tell me which papers I should send to 3 departments with NORI FORMS.

I sent my NORI forms after attested by the Indian consulate , chicago to my brother in India.when he is going to submit the forms to CHANDIGARH PASSPORT OFFICE & HOME DEPARTMENT OF HARYANA to get NORI,they are saying these papers should be sent by post to us from candidate in USA, who needs this NORI forms.It is going on almost since last two months.Please help me, what should i told them.Can my brother sumbit my NORI forms to concerned departments directly.

Please give me your contact number.

Pashvinder Kaur

Last edited by a moderator:
NORI deptt help

Dear All,
I need a small favour. I was a resident of Faridabad, Haryana before moving to USA on a J1visa. I am planning to apply for NORI to be submitted in 3 deptts in India.

1.Government of India, Ministry of External Affairs
2. Ministry of Human Resource Development, (Dept. of Higher Education)
3. Government of Haryana, Home Department.
Do you have any information about Government of Haryana, Home Department ,Faridabad or any help u can give wil be appreciated ..
Rahul spirit0176@yahoo.com

Friends

Every information is available in this forum. Please try a little bit search. If u dont find info, please post ur questions or concerns. Will try best to help.

DJ

Dear Dheeraj,
Thank you very much for providing such detailed information on this forum.

You wrote

"May 10, 2007 - USCIS receives Favorable Recommendations from DoS
May 17, 2007 - USCIS approves J1 waiver
May 24, 2007 - Waiver received"

Could you please write how did you know that on which date USCIS received your recommendation from DoS? Also how did you know that on which date USCIS approved your waiver? I see my status of application on j1visawaiverstatus.state.gov/EV_Results.aspbut "Recommendation Sent June 10, 2009" is the last statement.

Regards,
Prakash

My J waiver timeline

Thanks everyone for posting their info out there.

Here's mine:
Recommendation July 03, 2009
Status Inquiry June 18, 2009
No Objection Statement Received April 20, 2009
Application Start Date April 14, 2009

80 days from the start date to the end, Or ~11weeks

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of applying for a waiver on my J-1 and I need your help in that.
I have got the 3 forms signed from the US Consulate in Houston and I have to get the three NORI certificates from India now. Please answer the following queries I have:
1. How long will the process of getting the NORI take? Do I have to be in India for all that time or can i get it done through my parents?
2. Does anyone of you have a copy of your NORI (you obtained from India)? If anyone has it, please contact me through email (sahil.iitkgp@gmail.com). I would be really thankful.

Thanks,
Sahil

how to nori from india

Hi dheeraj,

This is prashant bhukal , i have got all my documents attested from c.g.i houston, and my passport was made from chandigarh,But my permament address is haryana.
can you please tell me :
1. If i send my attested doc. directly to passport office chandigarh how much time its gonna take and wht do u recomend sending directly to passport office from u.s or send some one to passport office along with my attested docs.?????
2. Can u please tell me the address of my department of home, as im from haryana, but passport was made from chandigarh. As haryana capital is chandigarh, and our regional passport office is also in chandigarh.

And if i can get your e-mail address so dat i can communicate wid you as i have very less time left.

J1 waiver time line

Hello all, i checked this website quite often while my waiver was pending. Everything is done now and here i am posting my timeline for those who would like to check the latest information.(assuming you already have your three letter from your home country available, a copy of which is in the records of your embassy/consulate...in my case it was cgi-Houston):

Sep. 1, 2009- Mailed documents to CGI Houston; and DS 3035, fee and other documents to DoS

Sep. 10, 2009- Waiver Certificate received from CGI Houston (CGI forwarded one copy to Indian Embassy in Washington DC)

Sep. 15, 2009-DOS online showed all documents received except no objection statement [NOS] (they don't show it online unless your check is cashed...which takes quite some time)

Sep. 30, 2009- DOS showed NOS received
...the painful wait......

Oct. 7, 2009- DoS sends Favorable Recommendations to USCIS and a copy to me

Oct. 15, 2009-I received DOS fav. recomm.

Oct. 22, 2009-I received final waiver from USCIS

Not so bad afterall....6 weeks...

One thing that i have realized in the whole process is that things can be smooth and fast if you are careful and meticulous in preparing your application.....not matter how boring it is 1) double and triple check you application. 2) arrange in order as mentioned. 3) once you arrange all the necessary documents, prepare another one as "others" and provide everything that you think might be needed. 4) and very imp....label every thing!...buy color stickups (it just costs 4-5 $) and label your documents nicely...no one has time to go through all your documents if they are not in order..it delays things...if everything is labeled and can be seen without opening the folder it helps ....

.....if anyone need to ask anything drop a line to nsmaan@gmail.com....if i can help, i will.
Thank you

Hi All,
I am in the process of getting my J1 waiver. I submitted all my attested documents to the Indian Consulate in New York and they forwarded a waiver letter to the Indian Embassy in DC.
Is there any way to know if the Indian Embassy sent the waiver letter to the US Department of State?
I have tried calling the embassy but no one answers.
Thanks
Nivedita

If you're looking for Final Fantasy info, your best bet is the FF wiki ^^ It has just the answer you're looking for, a complete timeline of the Compilation, not outdated, either. They even have exact dates of each event that takes place in the games, too

Thanks Anjali. I think u had some queries regarding RPO Chandigarh. I hav sent my email address and phone no. to ur email address. I wud be more than happy to help u.

Good Luck with ur waiver process

Dheeraj
Dheeraj,
My heartiest congratulations to you.
Best wishes for your future.
Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Hello Guys,

I am also a Haryana resident, working as a postdoc in Uchicago. Can you please help me with this waiver process? I need exact adresses and your guidance.

waiting for the reply.

Hi Dheeraj
Thanks for providing good information.

I m also on JI visa and trying hard to get NORI from INDIA.Can you tell me which papers I should send to 3 departments with NORI FORMS.

I sent my NORI forms after attested by the Indian consulate , chicago to my brother in India.when he is going to submit the forms to CHANDIGARH PASSPORT OFFICE & HOME DEPARTMENT OF HARYANA to get NORI,they are saying these papers should be sent by post to us from candidate in USA, who needs this NORI forms.It is going on almost since last two months.Please help me, what should i told them.Can my brother sumbit my NORI forms to concerned departments directly.

Please give me your contact number.

Pashvinder Kaur
Hello Pashvinder,

I am a resident of Haryana, and trying to apply for J1 waiver, Can you help me? had you been able to submit the forms personally? ( by your brother).

Please reply ASAP