Can I re-enter USA from Europe and then fly back to my country?

Hello, I am flying into USA today 26th because I was approved for a Green card and my deadline to enter USA for the I-551 (green card) is tomorrow 27th. Also on 27th I fly to Europe. I've already purchased a NY to London back to NY ticket. So in other words, my intention was to go to NY to get my Green card, then fly to London and then fly back to NY in 2 weeks time and then briefly return to my country of origin.
However, I've just realized I may be denied entry to NY from London since I do not have the Green card in my hand. Will I be able to return to NY in two weeks time even before they mail me my Green card? If not what do I need to do? I only have 24 hours in USA.
Thank you

First of all, you do not have a green card right now, and you are not a permanent resident right now; you just have an immigrant visa.

The moment you enter the US on an immigrant visa, you immediately become a US permanent resident, and the immigrant visa in your passport becomes invalid (immigrant visas are single use) and turns into an I-551 (evidence of permanent residency) valid for 1 year from the date of entry (so until Jan 27, 2017). A plastic "green card" is also just an I-551 and the two are equivalent in every way. Yes, you can take the next flight out (just beware to have enough time in between flights because you have to go through secondary processing as you are a new immigrant). You can return to the US because you have an I-551 (it's the same thing as a "green card" , just not green and not a card).

First of all, you do not have a green card right now, and you are not a permanent resident right now; you just have an immigrant visa.

The moment you enter the US on an immigrant visa, you immediately become a US permanent resident, and the immigrant visa in your passport becomes invalid (immigrant visas are single use) and turns into an I-551 (evidence of permanent residency) valid for 1 year from the date of entry (so until Jan 27, 2017). A plastic "green card" is also just an I-551 and the two are equivalent in every way. Yes, you can take the next flight out (just beware to have enough time in between flights because you have to go through secondary processing as you are a new immigrant). You can return to the US because you have an I-551 (it's the same thing as a "green card" , just not green and not a card).

Thank you. You said I can return to the US because I have an I-551. But when I go to London from NY and then return to NY in 2 weeks time, I still won't have my "plastic green card" physically on me yet. Are you saying that I can return to USA from London in two weeks time without any problems? I just want to confirm this because I thought once I arrive in USA the immigrant visa in my passport becomes invalid, and if I go to London the very next day and return to USA in two weeks I still will not have my plastic "Green card."
The reason I ask this question is because when I return to USA from the immigration officer will ask me for my plastic "green card", but I won't have it.

Last edited:
Thank you. You said I can return to the US because I have an I-551. But when I go to London from NY and then return to NY in 2 weeks time, I still won't have my "plastic green card" physically on me yet. Are you saying that I can return to USA from London in two weeks time without any problems? I just want to confirm this because I thought once I arrive in USA the immigrant visa in my passport becomes invalid, and if I go to London the very next day and return to USA in two weeks I still will not have my plastic "Green card."
Yes, you can enter with no problems. The endorsed immigrant visa is the same type of thing as a green card -- they are both I-551's. Just make sure to not call it a "visa", since it's not a visa anymore. Tell people it's a temporary evidence of permanent residence.

Yes, you can enter with no problems. The endorsed immigrant visa is the same type of thing as a green card -- they are both I-551's. Just make sure to not call it a "visa", since it's not a visa anymore. Tell people it's a temporary evidence of permanent residence.
The reason I ask this question is because when I return to USA from London, the immigration officer will ask me for my plastic "green card", but I won't have it, since only two weeks will have passed. And the immigrant visa in my passport ill be null and void.

The reason I ask this question is because when I return to USA from London, the immigration officer will ask me for my plastic "green card", but I won't have it, since only two weeks will have passed. And the immigrant visa in my passport ill be null and void.
The immigrant visa turned into an I-551 (green card). All immigration officers are very familiar with this. The visa's expiration date is irrelevant because the visa no longer exists (it became invalid upon entering the US). You are a permanent resident.