More TN status application inquiries

Jalaine

I have been posting and asking questions in this site and have been really satisfied with the quick responses. However, i have more questions as I have been reading more especially with my plan of actually applying getting closer.

1. Will I need an active license at the state where I am employed?
I applied and passed NCLEX with New Mexico BON in 2007. I graduated and got my degree from my Philippines. With that mentioned, when the hospital in Arkansas (same hospital that hired me now) hired me 6 years ago, I simply transferred my NM license to Arkansas smoothly. I was able to renew my license with NM for the past few years because they didn't require SSN. I still have this active presently.

I wasn't able to move to America when the hospital hired me 6 years ago because when hospital applied for my working visa (they were gonna sponsor me then ), homeland security denied it due to of recession. Hence, I let my Arkansas RN license expire esp after finding out that SSN is required for renewal (which I obviously don't have since I never worked in America).

When I was hired again by the same hospital this July 2015, I called up BON to renew my license which expired 4 years ago. I was told they can't due to the need of SSN.

Will this be a possible cause of denial of status ?
2. Does my current active license (different state - New Mexico) hold any relevance to officers at the border?
3. What are my options if this is an issue?

there is an understanding at the border that one will not likely be licensed in the stae where they are not yet employed, and in fact may not be licensed in any state, yet. having NCLEX is the key. Your letter might want to indicate that while the hospital is hiring you, they know you need to get your AR license.

Border will issue you your TN under these circumstances, after which you can get your SSN, and then your license. It will take a few weeks before you are able to actually begin work.

there is an understanding at the border that one will not likely be licensed in the stae where they are not yet employed, and in fact may not be licensed in any state, yet. having NCLEX is the key. Your letter might want to indicate that while the hospital is hiring you, they know you need to get your AR license.

Border will issue you your TN under these circumstances, after which you can get your SSN, and then your license. It will take a few weeks before you are able to actually begin work.

Does this mean I have to apply weeks before the starting date of employment? I was planning to go 3-5 days beforehand since people suggest it's better not to go too early.
But with my case, I am not sure now.

With the letter you mentioned, should that be a letter from me or my U.S. employer?

Speaking of letter, am I supposed to write a TN application of my own aside from the U.S. employer's?

No, you need to apply for a TN as soon as possible. That is why I said the border "understands". they will give you a TN knowing that you are not YET in a legal position to work. You will still be considered as being "employed" by the hospital,; your job will simply consist of first getting legally licensed.

The TN letter is provided ONLY by your US employer. You do not write any letter. You bring your documentation.

No, you need to apply for a TN as soon as possible. That is why I said the border "understands". they will give you a TN knowing that you are not YET in a legal position to work. You will still be considered as being "employed" by the hospital,; your job will simply consist of first getting legally licensed.

The TN letter is provided ONLY by your US employer. You do not write any letter. You bring your documentation.

Thank you very much for the clarifications! Soon as I receive my visascreen certificate, I will apply.

Will a scanned letter in PDF file from the employer be accepted at the border or should I request them to mail me an actual letter with original letterhead and signature? I noticed these were specified in some sites.

These days a pdf is acceptable. If there are any doubts the CBP will contact the employer and verify their legitimacy in their own ways.

PS, no need to quote my posts in your follow-ups, this merely clutters the thread.