Dilemma with Address

KhannaFan

My daughter is in the college in Iowa and we live in Illinois. It is the time to apply for her N-400. So we have option to file N-400 from either state. We are wondering which state is fast to get the Citizen. Processing times are showing about the same for both the states. But there would be obviously more people are applying from Chicago/Illinois. Does it make a difference? Can experts please guide me?

It does not really matter. It's more important that the information on the forms is truthful. If your daughter is in college, that's considered temporary (and you can claim as dependent on your taxes, for example) - so the permanent address is in Illinois. Anyway both states require you to mail to the same USCIS processing center, which is why it really does not make a difference. Given that this is an election year, the USCIS gives priority to N400, so people can vote. Some applications get approved and completed in less than 4 months. btw, I got a $25 coupon in immig.us for citizenship applications: hpYbk7Us . I hope this helps, good luck with the application!

It does not really matter. It's more important that the information on the forms is truthful. If your daughter is in college, that's considered temporary (and you can claim as dependent on your taxes, for example) - so the permanent address is in Illinois. Anyway both states require you to mail to the same USCIS processing center, which is why it really does not make a difference. Given that this is an election year, the USCIS gives priority to N400, so people can vote. Some applications get approved and completed in less than 4 months. btw, I got a $25 coupon in immig.us for citizenship applications: hpYbk7Us . I hope this helps, good luck with the application!

Thank you. That helps

I am in the same boat for my son who is in college. We live in VA but he is full time student in another place in VA.Can we use my address as permanent address or do I need to use his dorm/ apartment addresses ?

See page 24 of the "A Guide to Naturalization" pub 476 of USCIS...clearly mentions :

"Students may apply for naturalization either where they go to school or whee their family lives (if they are still financially dependent on their parents).

I did this for my son.