How much evidence is "enough" for EB2-NIW self-petition

Ivan Polozaltov

Hello Everyone,

I am a postdoc in experimental solid state physics with 9 publications and ~ 45 citations. I am planning to start the self petition through the NIW category. I believe I have a medium strength case as I don't have many and also highly cited publications and the new publications won't get much citations in the next 3-6 month (I am planning to publish 2-3 articles soon). To gauge the strength of my case I was reading the denials of administrative decisions of the USCIS appeals office and a recurring theme was that the petitioner did not provide a sufficient number of explicit examples of others in the field using the results of the petitioner's research. I understand that this is always relative, but does anyone has en expectations how much of such examples is enough?

My naive expectations is that if the usual number of "required" references is 6, then, ideally, all of those should contain such examples. If the references for some reasons are not containing such examples, then I still need roughly six examples from independent sources that my work is used by other peers. Are my expectations correct?

Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you!

It's very difficult to know, as USCIS parameters aren't consistent.

My NIW case was approved last spring with ~12 publications (one of them a book) and <10 citations. Yet in my humanities field I was able to show many other direct references to my work, media coverage of my work (incl. a PBS tv documentary), and letters that attested to the importance of my research.

I retained the services of Victoria Chen's law firm which was a very good decision. I couldn't have done without their help. She can give a free evaluation of your case.

Good luck!