• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Hello everyone,
We just finished our interview and it went well. We were approved !!!!!. The interview was simple. The IO was only interested in the details that we provided in the I-485. Since I'm a F-1 student, she made a copy of my I-20. The IO didn't even look at any other documents of either mine or my wife's. She told that we will get our card in 6 days. Also we got out passports stamped too, which is valid for 6 months.

I want to take this opportunity to thank all the people in this forum. This space helped us a lot to clarify and simplify the AOS process. A special thank should go to @Sm1smom for patiently answering and advising all the questions and supporting us through this rough time period.

Suppose my case is approved on Sept 23th, does it mean I am safe even though it'll probably take more than 7 days (FY end) to get the welcome letter and the GC?
Okay, I hope the Officer will accept and try a fast transfer because the embassy told my wife to do her medical and fill some paper so that after they get an email about my approval they can make her a special interview and process her case.
I am so stressed about all this.

If your IO says your case is approved at the end of your interview then you're okay, even if the WL and the GC do not get sent before Sept 30th. You can however politely request for your passport to get stamped at the end of the interview if the IO states everything is okay and the case is approved. Explain how having the stamp will give you some peace of mind while waiting for the actual GC to show up.

Hello everyone,
We just finished our interview and it went well. We were approved !!!!!. The interview was simple. The IO was only interested in the details that we provided in the I-485. Since I'm a F-1 student, she made a copy of my I-20. The IO didn't even look at any other documents of either mine or my wife's. She told that we will get our card in 6 days. Also we got out passports stamped too, which is valid for 6 months.

I want to take this opportunity to thank all the people in this forum. This space helped us a lot to clarify and simplify the AOS process. A special thank should go to @Sm1smom for patiently answering and advising all the questions and supporting us through this rough time period.

Congratulations! Quite happy for you!!

I spoke with the lawyer and he wants $3,200 upfront and $1,800 after my case gets approved. He has assured to get me the interview prior to Sept 30th and his law firm is one of the top immigration law firm in the nation with a great track record.
Thank you Sussie for your great response. I am about to get on the phone with the Immigration liason at the Congressman's office but I just want to check on one more thing. In an earlier post, Mom indicated that Simon had a similar case in 2014. Do you know how Simon resolved his case in 2014?

Forget the lawyer. You just drove 995 miles of a 1000 mile race and this guy wants $5k to drive the last 5 miles - at the same time telling you incorrect information about the congressman slowing the process down.

Now - as has been said - book the infopass.

My situation was that my FO (San Francisco) were "bloody minded" about conducting the outstanding DV interviews as a block to suit themselves. I filed early, I was fully ready and current in July. I was patient until August then attended an infopass which was alarmingly revealing about how little the IOs typically know about the process. I had a checklist of things needed to book the appointment and confirmed everything on the checklist was complete. I was current and there was nothing stopping me being interviewed.

In the end my FO were just determined they were going to book the DV interviews in September. They actually gave me a 7:40am appointment on the first working day of September. Yep - they made the September date happen....

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2014-aos-only-new-thread.10/page-54#post-2351593

Thank you Sussie for your great response. I am about to get on the phone with the Immigration liason at the Congressman's office but I just want to check on one more thing. In an earlier post, Mom indicated that Simon had a similar case in 2014. Do you know how Simon resolved his case in 2014?

Simon made a couple of visits to his FO, spoke with the FO supervisor responsible for the decision to interview all DV cases in Sept and pointed out the error with the decision, sent a strongly worded letter at one point, basically created a mild stinker at the FO. At the end, he still had to wait until Sept for his interview but he was one of the first to be interviewed.

Simon made a couple of visits to his FO, spoke with the FO supervisor responsible for the decision to interview all DV cases in Sept and pointed out the error with the decision, sent a strongly worded letter at one point, basically created a mild stinker at the FO. At the end, he still had to wait until Sept for his interview but he was one of the first to be interviewed.

Yup - just about sums it up.

Thank you so much Mom, Simon and Sussie for your invaluable advice. I spoke with my Congressman Immigration representative and he said that he will get on it and I should hear something by next week. Just in case since my FO is hard to find openings for InfoPass, I went ahead and scheduled another InfoPass for Sept 17th in addition to the other one for Sept 10th that I had already scheduled.

Thank you so much Mom, Simon and Sussie for your invaluable advice. I spoke with my Congressman Immigration representative and he said that he will get on it and I should hear something by next week. Just in case since my FO is hard to find openings for InfoPass, I went ahead and scheduled another InfoPass for Sept 17th in addition to the other one for Sept 10th that I had already scheduled.

Glad to hear it! Good luck!

Great! Now that's how to take proactively take charge of your case. All the best!

Yesterday received THE email: "we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice".
Thank you everyone, for sharing your experiences. Special thanks to Sm1smom and everyone who update their information on the timeline spreadsheet.

I was current on Feb; submitted my files on time. However my case was delayed to this date for an unknown reason (possibly extensive background checks due to scientific nature of my work). I did follow your advice: called KCC multiple times, did many infopass visits to my field office and finally applied for Ombudsman Case Assistance two weeks ago. On Aug 27th KCC finally released my file and USCIS did the job in less than a week.
Not sure what helped. I am happy anyways :)

Yesterday received THE email: "we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice".
Thank you everyone, for sharing your experiences. Special thanks to Sm1smom and everyone who update their information on the timeline spreadsheet.

I was current on Feb; submitted my files on time. However my case was delayed to this date for an unknown reason (possibly extensive background checks due to scientific nature of my work). I did follow your advice: called KCC multiple times, did many infopass visits to my field office and finally applied for Ombudsman Case Assistance two weeks ago. On Aug 27th KCC finally released my file and USCIS did the job in less than a week.
Not sure what helped. I am happy anyways :)

At last. Congratulations!!

Praise to The Lord, finally our case was approved and received the welcome letter .
I want to take this opportunity to thank all the people in this forum. A special thank should go to Sm1smom and Britsimon and all those who give the information. God bless you all.
Sam

Last edited:
Praise to The Lord, finally our case was approved and received the welcome letter .
I want to take this opportunity to thank all the people in this forum. A special thank should go to Sm1smom and Britsimon and all those who give the information. God bless you all.
Sam

Congratulations! Did you attend an interview or was it waived for your case?

Congratulations! Did you attend an interview or was it waived for your case?
Yes we did the interview and I add the process date In the time line .
If you want to share my experience let me know. It's a huge story.
Thanks for helping us to finish it.
Bless you

Hello everyone, (specially Dear Mom )

As u already know my Interview was on Aug 12th, the officer said we have to wait for the actual visas to arrive and also we need to check and see if u get approved . Now after 3 wks case status website still says "my fee was received for I485 and that they are working on it and the instructions of the next step will be mailed to me". This status has been unchanged since then. I called KCC they said that my file has been sent to USCIS on Aug 19th. I called USCIS twice and two different officers they both said the same thing once I told them that I am afraid that I might lose my GC at the end of September once FY ends. They said "since your package has been received by USCIS then the end of Fiscal year rule does not apply to me and I am safe !!!! " Honestly I don't believe this! What are your thoughts? What should I do? My last resort I scheduled for an info pass on Sep 18th (the only available spot in NYC)

Hello everyone, (specially Dear Mom )

As u already know my Interview was on Aug 12th, the officer said we have to wait for the actual visas to arrive and also we need to check and see if u get approved . Now after 3 wks case status website still says "my fee was received for I485 and that they are working on it and the instructions of the next step will be mailed to me". This status has been unchanged since then. I called KCC they said that my file has been sent to USCIS on Aug 19th. I called USCIS twice and two different officers they both said the same thing once I told them that I am afraid that I might lose my GC at the end of September once FY ends. They said "since your package has been received by USCIS then the end of Fiscal year rule does not apply to me and I am safe !!!! " Honestly I don't believe this! What are your thoughts? What should I do? My last resort I scheduled for an info pass on Sep 18th (the only available spot in NYC)

Mom can confirm, but I'm pretty sure this is not true. You need to receive the welcome letter before Sept 30th, otherwise it's game over.

Based on my experience at the NY FO, I went in for an infopass, and a few days later they approved my application after 2-3 months of waiting. Continue checking for new infopass appointments sooner than the 18th (some people cancel). And just in case, book another infopass on the 23rd, then on the 27th (and if you get approved beforehand, make sure you cancel them so someone else can have the spot). New infopass slots open early in the morning, so you're most likely to find one if you check early.

The online status won't change until you get approved, so no need to worry about that.

Good luck!