• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hello Mom,
Do the copies of my diplomas have to be certified by a notary public? What about marriage certificate, copy of my passport, and other important documents? I wanted to make sure before I send them. I would appreciate your kind response.
Thank you...

Dear mom,

I am sorry as I certainly did not mean to disrespect you. And I MOST certainly more than appreciate your help. My english is not good and I have to get special access to the computer and ask someone to translate the information. The person writing on my behalf did not have the information you required and never bothered to answer. My honest and most sincere apologies. I value your time and this time asked a person that is more reliable to respond on my behalf. I hope you understand my situation. If you would still consider helping me I would absolutely be willing to answer the questions.

1. I entered US May 17, 2015
2. NIV Category: B-2 VISA
3. I-94 duration granted: 6 months (until Nov. 16, 2014)
4. I submitted application July 2, 2014
5. I received acknowledgement of receipt of my asylum application (i-589) on July 09, 2014
I received NOA (i-797C) Feb 4., 2015

PLEASE, I hope you will consider helping me.
My biggest thank you!!!!

Something isn't making sense to me regarding your stay, you're fluctuating back and forth between 2015 and 2014. There's no way you could have entered the U.S. in May 2015, have a duration of stay granted till July 2014,

Okay, I'm assuming there's an error with the entry date you've listed above, May 17th, 2015. Did you mean 2014? My harping on and on your listing accurate dates is because we need to be certain you never went out of status at any point in time otherwise, you're not eligible to adjust status. Assuming May 17 2015 is a typo, then all is good for now.

So back to the previous questions you asked:

I would really really appreciate your guidance on this mom! \

I was selected for DV lottery 2016 and my number is EU000105xx. My CN most probably will be current in November or December. I submitted my DS-260 mid May. I am located in US pending political asylum and requested for an interview in US for myself. However, my derivatives: my husband and daughter are in Ukraine and I requested for their interview in Ukraine. I understand once I get a 2NL and my CN is current I will have a green light for AOS.

I would like to know if I should be paying $330 DV administrative fee to DOS now to prepare myself to be ready to include the receipt in the AOS application.

My question is:

1. Do I pay $330 fee now or wait until 2 NL?
2. Do I pay for myself only for now or pay for my husband and daughter as well even though they are in Ukraine?

Many thanks for your reply!!!

1. Yes you can go ahead and make your $330 DV administrative fee.

2. Your husband and your daughter will make their own payment back in Ukraine when they're invited for their follow-to-join interview.

Meanwhile, spend some time going over the AOS spreadsheet to ensure you have a good understanding of the AOS process. The link to the spreadsheet is on the 1st post of page one of this Thread.

@Sm1smom Mom,

on i-485 question 18 asks for "have you ever received any type of military, paramilitary, or weapons training?". I have served in the army back home which was mandatory and I plan on attaching a certified translated copy of my military record to the AOS package. Is that all OK? Would that complicate anything?

Also, most everything i'm printing is double sided, that wouldn't be an issue would it?

Thanks mom!

Last edited:
@Sm1smom Mom,

on i-485 question 18 asks for "have you ever received any type of military, paramilitary, or weapons training?". I have served in the army back home which was mandatory and I plan on attaching a certified translated copy of my military record to the AOS package. Is that all OK? Would that complicate anything?

Also, most everything i'm printing is double sided, that wouldn't be an issue would it?

Thanks mom!

I understand the concern with the possible implication of declaring past military trainings/affiliations, but it's information that must be disclosed regardless of the outcome. So you simply need to proceed as planned.

I don't think double sided printing will be an issue, but I personally wouldn't do that.

Hello Mom,
Do the copies of my diplomas have to be certified by a notary public? What about marriage certificate, copy of my passport, and other important documents? I wanted to make sure before I send them. I would appreciate your kind response.
Thank you...

A public notary certification isn't required. The AOS spreadsheet was painstakingly put together to guide those going through the DV AOS process. Please follow what it says.

Thank you, Mom. I appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure. I am used to certified copies of documents and when I see a photocopy of a document, I automatically think it should be certified.
I think, I am ready at this point (except 2NL). Thank you again so much...

Mom, I have a question:

I have a plan to move out of my current apartment, could be within 3-6 months (but still uncertain). In case if I moved out and I already submitted all the documents, what should I do? I wonder if I forward all my mails using USPS service will be suffice.

Thank you. Happy labor day.

Hi Mom / everybody,

I went onto the USCIS field office locator, and discovered that my field office, Memphis, seems to have massive delays for processing of the i-485. See here: (oops, forum won't let me post the link, it is on egov.uscis.gov at page /cris/processingTimesDisplay.do there)

If I've read it right, this means that there is currently an 8 month delay on processing i-485s! I checked other field offices around the country, and a lot of them are even worse than Memphis. Surely this sort of delay could easily cost us getting a green card!

Is this sort of processing delay to be expected? Is there anything we can do? Do we have to attend our local field office, or can we choose one with less delay? Is there any way to expedite the process? Does anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks so much!

Mom, I have a question:

I have a plan to move out of my current apartment, could be within 3-6 months (but still uncertain). In case if I moved out and I already submitted all the documents, what should I do? I wonder if I forward all my mails using USPS service will be suffice.

Thank you. Happy labor day.

If you move out of your current apartment following the submission of your AOS package, USPS mail service program will not work for you. USPS cannot forward any mail from USCIS, the mail gets sent back to USCIS as undeliverable.

Now, there is a requirement to notify USCIS of a change of address within 10 days(?) of moving, however notifying them of your new address doesn't guarantee mail will be sent to the new address, it takes a while for the system to work like its intended to.

What you should do? I honestly don't know. You can consider moving before sending in your AOS package. You can arrange for your current landlord to let you keep using the mailbox until you complete the AOS process. I really can't decide for you.

Hi Mom / everybody,

I went onto the USCIS field office locator, and discovered that my field office, Memphis, seems to have massive delays for processing of the i-485. See here: (oops, forum won't let me post the link, it is on egov.uscis.gov at page /cris/processingTimesDisplay.do there)

If I've read it right, this means that there is currently an 8 month delay on processing i-485s! I checked other field offices around the country, and a lot of them are even worse than Memphis. Surely this sort of delay could easily cost us getting a green card!

Is this sort of processing delay to be expected? Is there anything we can do? Do we have to attend our local field office, or can we choose one with less delay? Is there any way to expedite the process? Does anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks so much!

The available USCIS online processing time of AOS package is not applicable to DV based AOS cases. The time for DV based AOS case is much more shorter, that's why we try to do our own tracking with the different AOS Timelines we've posted on the AOS spreadsheet.

Yes, delays are to be expected, however not of the general nature you've posted above. No, you cannot pick a less crowded FO, everyone will be doing that if it was allowed. Your local FO is based on your home address. Go through the AOS spreadsheet for possible ways of expediting and the applicable consequences.

Hello Mom,

As I saw above question regarding addresses, I wanted to make sure of something. I am currently a PhD student. I have a room on campus as I can't drive 3 hours each day when I need to be at faculty. Yet, my husband can't stay on campus as he works so he stays in our house. My longest address is my dorm address; this is also my work address as I have been working on campus as a Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) during my Masters and PhD.
On Biographic Information Form / Regarding Applicant's residence last 5 years: Here are my answers; I like to know whether this is a correct answer; that was the same answer on any other form.
*August 2015 to Present (We bought home-new address)
*June 2014 - August 2015 (first house other than dorm after marriage)
*Dorm Address (August 2007 -Present). I wrote until the date of our first home (June 2014).

School address became my temporary address since the date I got married; Yet, I still stay there sometimes as I work on campus and meet my professors time to time. So regarding date: Should I write my graduation date as final (December 2015), or is it better to keep it as date of wedding (June 2014)? I answered the same on DS-260 (for question "if I lived in another place since the age 16). What do you suggest?

Thank you so much for your help.

Hello Mom,

As I saw above question regarding addresses, I wanted to make sure of something. I am currently a PhD student. I have a room on campus as I can't drive 3 hours each day when I need to be at faculty. Yet, my husband can't stay on campus as he works so he stays in our house. My longest address is my dorm address; this is also my work address as I have been working on campus as a Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) during my Masters and PhD.
On Biographic Information Form / Regarding Applicant's residence last 5 years: Here are my answers; I like to know whether this is a correct answer; that was the same answer on any other form.
*August 2015 to Present (We bought home-new address)
*June 2014 - August 2015 (first house other than dorm after marriage)
*Dorm Address (August 2007 -Present). I wrote until the date of our first home (June 2014).

School address became my temporary address since the date I got married; Yet, I still stay there sometimes as I work on campus and meet my professors time to time. So regarding date: Should I write my graduation date as final (December 2015), or is it better to keep it as date of wedding (June 2014)? I answered the same on DS-260 (for question "if I lived in another place since the age 16). What do you suggest?

Thank you so much for your help.

I think you need to stop over-thinking the process. Your response is fine, the dates do not have to be an exact, 'close enough' is fine.

Hi Mom, a small stupid question:
While filing DS260 I wrote my birth city as Pokhara, Kaski, Nepal. I asked my birth certificate from my home and it has Bharatpokhari, Kaski, Nepal. (Both place are same because my birthplace was merged with a bigger city of Pokhara after my BC was made). I just realized it today while collecting my documents. I am not sure if it will be an issue in interview. Do I need to unlock DS260 and provide correct name?
Thanks

Sorry I missed your question/post before, not intentional and your question isn't stupid either. No need to unlock the DS-260 for that.

Have anyone got their 2NL yet? My AOS package is ready. Not sure to wait for 2NL or send without it. Confused !

Read the post below:

Okay, so regarding the 2NL, looks like KCC might be doing things differently this time around. I've never known 2NLs for AOSers to take this long! Seriously!!

Anyway, just to let you guys know, it's okay to send the AOS package without the 2NL, just in case some of you were planning on doing early filing and are simply awaiting the arrival of this notorious 2NL o_O. If it eventually shows up, simply have it handy for when you attend your intend and present it if the IO asks for it. No need to present it if it's not requested then, you're not losing anything or harming your case by not presenting it unprompted.

On i-485 section Application Type:
Should I check "h" and write that "I'm DV2016 winner <put my winning number>" ?

Thanks in advance.

Mom,

I have some a question:

The check for i485 fee, do I need to write two separate checks (one for my spouse and one for me)? Or I can put both application fees into 1 personal check?

Thank you.