• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

Is there any one who traveled to New york city? I heard in New york Ethiopian food like 'berbere', 'Shero' and 'Doro wet' is forbidden is that true pls share ur experience.

Dear all
My cN is AF0004**** and my interview date and time is already scheduled for mid of September but due to in contingency I requested the embassy to send my file to add is a baba and up on my request they inform me my file is transfered on Aug 11 and since this date on ceac my visa status is file transfer in progress and till now I didn't received any response from consular office Addison. Please any one who has experience let share me am getting work cause I didn't have enough time ahead of my interview time frame.more over currently am not in Ethiopia.

Thanks for shared idea or consultation.

Dear all
My cN is AF0004**** and my interview date and time is already scheduled for mid of September but due to in contingency I requested the embassy to send my file to add is a baba and up on my request they inform me my file is transfered on Aug 11 and since this date on ceac my visa status is file transfer in progress and till now I didn't received any response from consular office Addison. Please any one who has experience let share me am getting work cause I didn't have enough time ahead of my interview time frame.more over currently am not in Ethiopia.

Thanks for shared idea or consultation.

I'm a bit confused by this post. You requested a change of interview location? From where to Addis? How far in advance did you request this? Was the Sept date scheduled for the original embassy location? If so it will need to be rescheduled for Addis and I am really not sure there is time to do that. You can't just arrive in Addis for an interview on the same date as arranged at a different embassy, the schedules are decided by KCC with each embassy. The September interview schedule for Addis (and each other embassy) would have been finalized in early July already. It won't be that easy to find a new slot now.
Or did I misunderstand something?

Dear sussieQQQ thank you for reply
Originally kcc forward my interview date and time to kenya- Nairobi 2NL 22 july 2015 And i request for file transfer the nairobi office and as there reply i start contact embassy in addis and july 30 the embassy in addis inform me that they contacted embassy in nairobi but they reply that my file is not recieved from kcc yet .it was in transit when it is ready i again cotact the embassy to transfer my file to addis and the embassy in kenya emailed me that my file is transfered on 11 Aug 2015 then i emailed for embassy in addis for confirmation but till this day i didnt get any email from them and my status on ceac says 'file transfer inprogress ' since 12 august 2015.

Thank you

Dear sussieQQQ thank you for reply
Originally kcc forward my interview date and time to kenya- Nairobi 2NL 22 july 2015 And i request for file transfer the nairobi office and as there reply i start contact embassy in addis and july 30 the embassy in addis inform me that they contacted embassy in nairobi but they reply that my file is not recieved from kcc yet .it was in transit when it is ready i again cotact the embassy to transfer my file to addis and the embassy in kenya emailed me that my file is transfered on 11 Aug 2015 then i emailed for embassy in addis for confirmation but till this day i didnt get any email from them and my status on ceac says 'file transfer inprogress ' since 12 august 2015.

Thank you

Honestly, I would not have advised you to take this risk at this point in the year. The transfer process relies on the two embassies communicating - and there is significant chance for one or the other embassy to introduce delays. If something goes wrong - and you are delayed past September 30, then you will not be able to continue. I don't think your pre-allocated visa slot will have been saved for you, which means the receiving embassy will have to ask for a visa for you. Luckily, this year AF region will probably have available visas right up to the last day - but there is still co-ordination required that would not have been an issue if you had interviewed as scheduled.

Now - 11 days since the in transfer was noted in CEAC is not that much time. That shows that the Kenyan embassy has "pushed" the case to Addis. Addis may not have received it yet, or may have received it and simply failed to update CEAC. If I were you, I would contact Addis and check if they have scheduled a date for an interview. You will have to carry out a medical at their panel physician (Addis), so you can use that fact as part of the reason to question them.

I hope you can get this scheduled in time - good luck.

Dear Fellow Ethiopians...

A person was denied a visa based on the fact that (According to CO) he didnt meet educational qualification even-though he provided Ethiopian high school transcript. Isnt it enough or he also needed to supply the University entrance exam results(ESLC)?

Please elaborate.

Thanks...

Dear Fellow Ethiopians...

A person was denied a visa based on the fact that (According to CO) he didnt meet educational qualification even-though he provided Ethiopian high school transcript. Isnt it enough or he also needed to supply the University entrance exam results(ESLC)?

Please elaborate.

Thanks...

The education requirements are listed here: http://ethiopia.usembassy.gov/mobile/dv_requirements.html

2. You must possess one of the following as evidence of your educational qualifications

• Proof of graduation from 12th grade (including an Ethiopian Leaving Certificate Examination, a University Entrance Exam, or a Higher Education Qualification Exam), showing at least 5 passing grades, (or)
  • Proof of graduation from a four-year university (or)
  • Proof of graduation from a TVET 10+3 program. New TVET certificates documenting levels of achievement are not accepted because they do not meet the minimum requirement of 12 years of basic education unless you took 3 common courses (Mathematics, Civics and English) on all 3 years of your 10+3 education. Any educational document presented may be subject to independent verification by U.S. Embassy staff.
You must submit official copies of school transcripts along with the above certificates. These requirements are determined by U.S. immigration law, and are not determined by this Embassy.

The education requirements are listed here: http://ethiopia.usembassy.gov/mobile/dv_requirements.html

2. You must possess one of the following as evidence of your educational qualifications

• Proof of graduation from 12th grade (including an Ethiopian Leaving Certificate Examination, a University Entrance Exam, or a Higher Education Qualification Exam), showing at least 5 passing grades, (or)
  • Proof of graduation from a four-year university (or)
  • Proof of graduation from a TVET 10+3 program. New TVET certificates documenting levels of achievement are not accepted because they do not meet the minimum requirement of 12 years of basic education unless you took 3 common courses (Mathematics, Civics and English) on all 3 years of your 10+3 education. Any educational document presented may be subject to independent verification by U.S. Embassy staff.
You must submit official copies of school transcripts along with the above certificates. These requirements are determined by U.S. immigration law, and are not determined by this Embassy.

Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks Sus!

@abi328 hi forum members I decide to leave Addis at the end of October and I want to know that is it possible to get Master card in Ethiopia to pay for Green card or is there any other options to get a master card or do u know the process ?

Last edited:
there is no bank in ethiopia that issues master card. so what u can do is that just fly to God's own country and after u reach there, go to the nearest bank(ur host can u help u in this regard)and process for visa card. once u pay the fee u will have ur plastic card within a month

Hi every body , i have question regarding marriage certificate: we have religious marriage certificate which is given by orthodox church .It is written by hand not computerized contain both Amharic and English . Is is acceptable ? please give me suggestion.

the marriage certificate should be issued by the municipality to get accepted by embassy so take ur religion issued certificate to the municipality to get one

HI FRIENDS and also have question on educational/training, I have masters with 2 years graduation and bachelor degree with 3 years graduation ( not four years). I fill on the Ds 260 about number of highest level of education 2 which is my masters and degree not including high school. IS IT OK??

i checked the way i filled the ds260 as university graduate and thus my recommendation is fill masters degree as the highest level of education completed and "in the no of educational institutions attended " part also fill ur high school (from 9-12) so it will be 4,... b/c if u have closely seen the ds260 form it has the question "Have you attended any educational institutions at a secondary level or above" .Hope this helps

Dear abi I get it but sorry I sent the Ds 260 form before 2 months. I think, I did a mistake on the number of educational institutions.In my understanding, I field only my degree and my masters, I miss high school. so does it matters ?? ....... Thanks for your support dear.

Dear abi I get it but sorry I sent the Ds 260 form before 2 months. I think, I did a mistake on the number of educational institutions.In my understanding, I field only my degree and my masters, I miss high school. so does it matters ?? ....... Thanks for your support dear.

Yes it matters. The lottery qualification is based on the high school level - unlock the form and correct it.