• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Definitely don't be unprepared!!! We were more than over prepared, I had three folders of documents with me, organized into stuff I knew they wanted, stuff they might ask for, and anything else we could think of that might come up. We were lucky and didn't need much, but if we did it again I would still go over prepared. We interviewed in London, but I understand they're usually tougher than Sydney.

Definitely don't be unprepared!!! We were more than over prepared, I had three folders of documents with me, organized into stuff I knew they wanted, stuff they might ask for, and anything else we could think of that might come up. We were lucky and didn't need much, but if we did it again I would still go over prepared. We interviewed in London, but I understand they're usually tougher than Sydney.

Definitely don't be unprepared!!! We were more than over prepared, I had three folders of documents with me, organized into stuff I knew they wanted, stuff they might ask for, and anything else we could think of that might come up.

Could you share your list of documents? I'm looking for ideas.

I took:
Passport
UK Passport
Year 12 Cert
CV
Birth Cert
Marriage Cert
Aus Police Check
UK Police Check (I lived in London in 2005)
Transcripts from all of my degrees
Proof of finances (My grandmothers will/ estate asset statements etc)
Medical

I was the Primary but my wife also took:
Passport
Birth Cert
Year 12 Cert
Transcripts of all her degrees
Aus Police Check
UK Police Check
Bank Statements
Marriage Cert
Medical

We were told our UK Police checks and Financials weren't required at the interview, but its really better to be safe than sorry.

For kids they only have their birth certificates and medical examination right?! My 3 kids wer born in Australia so they don't have citizenship certificates correct!!.. Am I missing anything here?!

For kids they only have their birth certificates and medical examination right?! My 3 kids wer born in Australia so they don't have citizenship certificates correct!!.. Am I missing anything here?!

I took:
Passport
UK Passport
Year 12 Cert
CV
Birth Cert
Marriage Cert
Aus Police Check
UK Police Check (I lived in London in 2005)
Transcripts from all of my degrees
Proof of finances (My grandmothers will/ estate asset statements etc)
Medical

I was the Primary but my wife also took:
Passport
Birth Cert
Year 12 Cert
Transcripts of all her degrees
Aus Police Check
UK Police Check
Bank Statements
Marriage Cert
Medical

We were told our UK Police checks and Financials weren't required at the interview, but its really better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks!

Your UK police check wasn't required? That's unusual.

Indeed.
How long did you live in the UK for? If less than 12 months, that would be why.

My husband definitely needed his police certificate from the UK. But he had lived there for 20 years, 8 of which were after he turned 16.

For sure! I took everything that dnubbs said, plus copies. For me though, we got married AFTER my initial entry, so a lot of my 'in case they might need it' stuff was proving our relationship was legitimate and had been going on for many years before then. Proof that we'd been living together etc.

Also guys, I'm looking to really understand what being a green card holder means... i.e. Impacts on taxes, buying property in the U.S. or abroad (UK or Aus), inheritance and gift taxes etc. Has anyone got any good sites or documents that outline this sort of thing? With the excitement of it all it's easy to get caught up and forget that this is a really big commitment, and I want to fully understand what I'm committing to...

Also guys, I'm looking to really understand what being a green card holder means... i.e. Impacts on taxes, buying property in the U.S. or abroad (UK or Aus), inheritance and gift taxes etc. Has anyone got any good sites or documents that outline this sort of thing? With the excitement of it all it's easy to get caught up and forget that this is a really big commitment, and I want to fully understand what I'm committing to...

First - http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/aft...bilities-green-card-holder-permanent-resident

Taxes are the surprise for many - you report worldwide income to the USA. Taxes you paid locally can usually be offset - but the pain is you have to report it....
Then note the parts where you have to live in the USA - you will have to maintain a home there in order to keep your status.
You can't vote
You have to carry your GC at all times
You use the Americans line at the USA Airport

For all the ex-pat Aussie that have moved the US already (and if this applies to you) - happy Father's Day.

(Just so you don't have to wait until next June).

Important Announcement! OC2015 Celebratory Craft Beers!

My appointment is at 10AM but after a successful interview I intend on retiring to the Bavarian Bier Café on 24 York Street Sydney to celebrate.

Start time - when the consulate finishes with us. Let's say 11-12 onwards.

@arrypottah @SydSteve @martinskypemartin all indicated interest, so that's all the cool kids. Anyone who works in the Sydney CBD should come and @Santy23 you're interviewing so you should come too.

Example toasts:
  • America!
  • OC 15!
  • 1490! (Everyone's favourite CN Cutoff)
* (There are a couple of other nice bars around but most of them don't open until 12, BBC opens at 11.)
** To avoid public shaming I reserve the right not to attend if I'm unsuccessful.

Thanks!

Your UK police check wasn't required? That's unusual.
Yes I'll qualify that with I'm a UK Citizen by descent (Born in AUstralia)and it said on the UK reciprocity info that if your are a citizen who has lived there for 6 months or more (I lived there for 7 months) a UK Police Check was required.
But was told as my charge-ability is to Australia and that I hadn't lived in the UK for over 12 months, my UK police check wasn't required. I thought being a dual citizen might make it difficult so I erred on the side of conservatism.

9 sleeps till sunny Los Angeles California. Shame I don't have a bank acct setup already...the AUD is behaving terribly this last few weeks.

Yes I'll qualify that with I'm a UK Citizen by descent (Born in AUstralia)and it said on the UK reciprocity info that if your are a citizen who has lived there for 6 months or more (I lived there for 7 months) a UK Police Check was required.
But was told as my charge-ability is to Australia and that I hadn't lived in the UK for over 12 months, my UK police check wasn't required. I thought being a dual citizen might make it difficult so I erred on the side of conservatism.

Always better to be conservative, especially with an interview so late in the FY!