• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Yes, we have full online access with BoA. We just have to maintain a $1000 minimum balance to avoid fees etc. We don't have any cards relating to the account: it's a pure checking account.

We are premium HSBC customers so we have a US bank account through them, including a credit card. The BoA account was opened to facilitate easy transfer from the HSBC to BoA (HSBC branches are few and far between) while BoA are everywhere.

Yes, we have full online access with BoA. We just have to maintain a $1000 minimum balance to avoid fees etc. We don't have any cards relating to the account: it's a pure checking account.

Don't they give you a check card? (debit card)

At US Bank there are a few ways to dodge fees. I setup autopay to my credit card that I never use.

Hey @martinskypemartin , so glad to hear you guys got through! I was waiting to get called up myself and saw you and the fam being put through your paces. I was gunning for you, well done for getting over the line!

6 weeks in NYC and just got word the Greencard was posted out to me today. Man I love this country!

Hey Reeko,
We have been here about 6 weeks now in NYC and still haven't heard anything about our greencards. How did they let you know yours was on the way? I'm a bit worried because I just rang social security admin today to see what the status of our ss cards is and found out no request was ever put through! I have had one previously so was told the number will be the same so I can use that for banking etc but my husband has never had one without it we can't get a credit card, so can't start building credit. We now have to go down to SSA and go through the application process which will be tough for my husband around his work hours. So now I am paranoid that our greencards have also not been issued (even though I know it's two separate departments.) Any tips on checking up on this? I should say we have already been to SSA and Immigration once each at 2 and 4 weeks post-arrival, respectively, and on both occasions were just told to 'wait longer'. Not till now that I found out no request is even logged, let alone activated at SSA. Argh so frustrating. On the plus side, we just got a great sublet near Central Park so I am focusing my energies on TJ Maxx bedding shopping and 'nesting', job-hunting and above all trying not to overeat!

Hey Reeko,
We have been here about 6 weeks now in NYC and still haven't heard anything about our greencards. How did they let you know yours was on the way? I'm a bit worried because I just rang social security admin today to see what the status of our ss cards is and found out no request was ever put through! I have had one previously so was told the number will be the same so I can use that for banking etc but my husband has never had one without it we can't get a credit card, so can't start building credit. We now have to go down to SSA and go through the application process which will be tough for my husband around his work hours. So now I am paranoid that our greencards have also not been issued (even though I know it's two separate departments.) Any tips on checking up on this? I should say we have already been to SSA and Immigration once each at 2 and 4 weeks post-arrival, respectively, and on both occasions were just told to 'wait longer'. Not till now that I found out no request is even logged, let alone activated at SSA. Argh so frustrating. On the plus side, we just got a great sublet near Central Park so I am focusing my energies on TJ Maxx bedding shopping and 'nesting', job-hunting and above all trying not to overeat!

We advise people to check with the SSA if they have not received SSNs within 2 to 3 weeks of arrival. Personally I would be down there after a week. It's a pain not having your SSN - much worse than not having your GC.

Now the GC can often take a couple of months to arrive - and yes it is totally a different process.

Register here to check GC progress:-
http://www.uscis.gov/uscis-elis

All you need to know about Elis - here:-
http://forums.immigration.com/threads/tracking-gc-delivery-via-uscis-elis.317222/

Last edited:
Hey Reeko,
Now the GC can often take a couple of months to arrive - and yes it is totally a different process.

Register here to check GC progress:-
http://www.uscis.gov/uscis-elis

All you need to know about Elis - here:-
http://forums.immigration.com/threads/tracking-gc-delivery-via-uscis-elis.317222/

They should already have an ELIS registration as it's required in order to pay the immigrant/green card fee, so yes it just needs to be checked. One presumes of course that the fee has been paid...if not that is why there is no green card!

While we are on the topic of Green Cards, ours arrived in Oz today. I was like a rabid wolverine ripping apart the USPS envelope. It was biblical.

They're so pretty....... I'm going to spend the rest of today just gazing at them.

While we are on the topic of Green Cards, ours arrived in Oz today. I was like a rabid wolverine ripping apart the USPS envelope. It was biblical.

They're so pretty....... I'm going to spend the rest of today just gazing at them.
Congrats @EmilyW so exciting, I imagined myself in your spot and started crying in the middle of the train :) hopeless!!!

Either will do. But don't include it within your primary documents. They don't care about the university degree for the most part. The minimum requirement is the high school diploma.

We brought both but kept the degree separate from the primary documents (as per the Sydney checklist) and only produced it when asked.

Thanks for that @EmilyW really appreciate it! Congrats on getting your greencards today as well! How exciting :D

I did have another couple of questions for anyone willing to answer them:
1. While I have the money in the bank has anyone actually been asked to show anything regarding financials at the Sydney consulate? I can't seem to find anyone that's had to show anything...just wondering.
2. I got another email today from Sydney and it says "you should have now received your appointment letter from KCC" - is that just the 2NL? I just wanted to check as I didn't get anything in the mail.
3. I picked up my medical results the other day and the chest xray is on a CD...is that normal? Don't worry I didn't open the envelope, I can just feel it through the paper.

Lastly, I was just wanting to check that in terms of entering the US and activating the GC is it correct that once I've made that initial trip I have another 12 months from the day I activated to make the permanent move?

Thank you so so so much!
:D

@arrypottah, to answer your questions....

1. No-one that I know of has been asked to show financials.

2. Yes, the appointment letter they refer to is the 2NL.

3. Yes, the xray on the CD is normal

4. You have up to 12 months after activation to re-enter and not be considered to have abandoned your residency. However, as a lawful permanent resident, even if you are still in Oz, you have to file US tax returns etc.

Thank you so much @EmilyW!

I think I've got everything under control now and will probably be checking my stack of documentation 5 million times before next tuesday! :D Woo! So excited!

Only 5 million times? Amateur. :p

Yes well - we all know you had your documents ready and quadruple checked before you even applied for the Lottery Emily :p You probably even had a complete spare set of documents all compiled and ready to go, just in case *lol*

image.jpg