U-Visa lost with US passport. Can we travel on OCI book

cpDelhi

Registered Users (C)
We recently lost our US passports (which had U-Visa sticker) on our trip to Italy. I now need to travel to India in an emergency next week. I do have the OCI booklet with me. Can I travel to India on the OCI booklet or not?

Thanks in advance.

I'm still looking for any helpful comments about my issue. Can we travel to India on the OCI booklet only since the original US passport with U-Visa sticker was lost? Due to a medical emergency, we don't have time to get another U-Visa stamp in a weeks time.

Your best bet is to check with the Indian consulate\embassy if you can travel.
By embassy definition, a trip a week out is not considered an emergency; emergency is travel within 24 hours. During emergencies, embassies work with you to provide last-minute visa\passport for a higher fee.

Read these two links from Indian consulates in the US. You should be fine just going with your current passport and your old OCI booklet:

http://www.cgihouston.org/notice/display/126
These apply to your situation directly:
"3. From now on, registered OCI cardholders would carry their valid foreign passport and the OCI Registration Certificate for entry/exit from India. Immigration authorities in the Immigration Checkposts (ICPs) have been requested not to insist on production of the foreign passport containing the 'U' visa sticker in the case of OCI cardholders while they enter/exit India and the immigration clearance may be granted based on production of the OCI card and a valid passport."

"5. OCI cardholders who have lost their passports containing the 'U' Visa are not required to apply for a re-issue of OCI card under 'lost/stolen' category."

http://www.indiacgny.org/pdf/MHA_Circular_U.pdf

I would print these out and carry with you as well as backup proof. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hopefully immigration in India know these new rules.

I also read somewhere that they will dispense with issuing the U visa altogether, but I applied after this ruling, and still received a U visa. So, who knows...

Hopefully immigration in India know these new rules.

I also read somewhere that they will dispense with issuing the U visa altogether, but I applied after this ruling, and still received a U visa. So, who knows...
They said (in the second link memo above) that they would still issue U visa stickers until all the stock is used up and so that probably is why you still got one.

Last edited: