• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Not sure if you're processing AOS or CP, but I will still go ahead and answer your questions:

If you're already scheduled for an October interview (assuming you're processing CP), it's too late to unlock the DS form. If you're processing AOS, you can still go ahead and request for the form to be unlocked.

You do not need an official translator to translate your B/C and you cannot translate it yourself either. You do need a third part with no vested interest in your GC success to translate it though, and this person will need to include a signed certification attesting to their fluency in both English and the language in which the B/C is issued.
Thanks! I'm doing AOS. Do you think that I really need to change my DS-260? I was only 4 years old when they changed our last names and don't even know what was it before.

And another question haha... I was reading through last years AOS thread - someone had mentioned including a copy of the early filing policy memorandum as well as a copy of the September 2015 Visa Bulletin that shows the October DV 2016 numbers that become current. If we decide to file early, do you recommend including a copy of the policy memorandum in our package? In the case I read from last year, it seemed to come in handy because the officer reviewing the application wasn't aware of this and the applicant was able to direct the officer to it over the phone instead of denying her.

Thanks! I'm doing AOS. Do you think that I really need to change my DS-260? I was only 4 years old when they changed our last names and don't even know what was it before.

If the name was changed when you were 4, wouldn't it have been listed on your B/C?

The DS260 may not play an important role in AOS processing, I however would rather be safe than sorry by making the information on it as accurate as possible, simply for the sake of your parents/other family members you may wish to sponsor years down the road. And I do believe there are some sections on some of the forms you will be using for your AOS package where you will be required to provide other names used also.

And another question haha... I was reading through last years AOS thread - someone had mentioned including a copy of the early filing policy memorandum as well as a copy of the September 2015 Visa Bulletin that shows the October DV 2016 numbers that become current. If we decide to file early, do you recommend including a copy of the policy memorandum in our package? In the case I read from last year, it seemed to come in handy because the officer reviewing the application wasn't aware of this and the applicant was able to direct the officer to it over the phone instead of denying her.

Sure doesn't hurt to include those. But bear in mind including the Memo isn't a fool-proof guarantee of none denial due to early filing. There are reports of others who did the same thing and still got denied, and there are those who didn't include the memo, filed early and got through with no issue.

If the name was changed when you were 4, wouldn't it have been listed on your B/C?

The DS260 may not play an important role in AOS processing, I however would rather be safe than sorry by making the information on it as accurate as possible, simply for the sake of your parents/other family members you may wish to sponsor years down the road. And I do believe there are some sections on some of the forms you will be using for your AOS package where you will be required to provide other names used also.
It's been listed in my B/C but I never noticed because I've never used my previous surname anywhere.

When I was filling DS-160 (for getting my visa 3years ago) I answered "no" to this question. Do you think if I unlock my DS-260 and change it, would it make any conflict? Is there any possibility that the officer has access to both DS-260 and DS-160?

It's been listed in my B/C but I never noticed because I've never used my previous surname anywhere.

When I was filling DS-160 (for getting my visa 3years ago) I answered "no" to this question. Do you think if I unlock my DS-260 and change it, would it make any conflict? Is there any possibility that the officer has access to both DS-260 and DS-160?

Your focus should be about the present and the future, nothing you can do about the past. I'm basically saying even if providing that information now ends up conflicting with what was previously provided because you were not aware of the information, the right thing to do is to be as accurate as possible now that you know. Opting to leave out this information now that you know is purposeful withholding of information which could come back to hunt you.

As mom said, it's possible but you need to give accurate info. You don't show a birth certificate for a tourist visa but you will be showing it now. If you don't change it, I'd guess one of the first things the CO would ask would be why you didn't list your birth name anywhere on your DS260 - that will look like you have something to hide...

At least I didn't get 2NL so far. I even contacted KCC. They did reply with some common words that they are processing applications.
This beg the question are they going to change the method. Because for the moment delay for issuing the GC is not receiving the KCC file. I hope they would address this for 2016.

@Sm1smom Mom, my sponsor is filling out the i-134, and has a question regarding item 11: "i intend to OR do not intend to make specific contributions to the support of the person". Should the answer be "Intend to" or "Do not intend to". In reality if i need money from my sponsor i can ask no problem, and really, i do not plan on borrowing money from my sponsor, but for the purposes of showing support not sure what the answer should be. Thanks mom!

@Sm1smom Mom, my sponsor is filling out the i-134, and has a question regarding item 11: "i intend to OR do not intend to make specific contributions to the support of the person". Should the answer be "Intend to" or "Do not intend to". In reality if i need money from my sponsor i can ask no problem, and really, i do not plan on borrowing money from my sponsor, but for the purposes of showing support not sure what the answer should be. Thanks mom!

'I intend'

@Sm1smom Mom, one other thing, i forgot to include a summer job on the DS-260. Is that a big deal? should ask them to unlock the form? Will that delay my 2NL?

Also, will the supporting documentation for the i-134 need to go with the AOS packet, or just show them during the interview?

Thanks mom!!

Hi,

This is my first time posting here. Thanks for all the information provided. I am now an F1 student and will go on AOS. My number is 2016AS00004xxx. I had submitted the DS260 from, and I have the following questions:

1. Is my next step to wait for USCIS to reply?

2. Do I need to contact the local office of USCIS to confirm the documents needed to process? Or those required are the ones from the website of USCIS (see below in bullet points)? Sorry that I am new here and I cannot post the link from the website of USCIS.
  • Form I-485
  • Form G-325, biographic information
  • Two photos
  • Copy of birth certificate
  • Form I-693
  • Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa (if applicable)
  • Copy of passport page with admission (entry) or parole stamp (if applicable)
  • Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record
  • Certified copies of court records (if the individual has been arrested)
  • Copy of the principal applicant’s selection letter for the diversity visa lottery from DOS
  • Copy of the receipt from DOS for the diversity visa lottery processing fee
  • Applicable fees

3. I had stayed in France, Spain, Germany, and China for 6 months, respectively. May I ask is it required to provide the police record of each country? Or the police record from my original birth country will be fine?

4. Do all the documents need to be translated into English and certified officially? I saw some discussions said that the original language is fine in the interview, but I cannot really understand why, do people in the USCIS speaks multiple languages?

Thanks for your help!

@Sm1smom Mom, one other thing, i forgot to include a summer job on the DS-260. Is that a big deal? should ask them to unlock the form? Will that delay my 2NL?

Also, will the supporting documentation for the i-134 need to go with the AOS packet, or just show them during the interview?

Thanks mom!!

- Shouldn't be a problem.

- Including the I-134 and supporting documents with the AOS package is a good idea. However, ensure you have another set/copy to take along to the interview.

Hi,

This is my first time posting here. Thanks for all the information provided. I am now an F1 student and will go on AOS. My number is 2016AS00004xxx. I had submitted the DS260 from, and I have the following questions:

1. Is my next step to wait for USCIS to reply?

2. Do I need to contact the local office of USCIS to confirm the documents needed to process? Or those required are the ones from the website of USCIS (see below in bullet points)? Sorry that I am new here and I cannot post the link from the website of USCIS.
  • Form I-485
  • Form G-325, biographic information
  • Two photos
  • Copy of birth certificate
  • Form I-693
  • Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa (if applicable)
  • Copy of passport page with admission (entry) or parole stamp (if applicable)
  • Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record
  • Certified copies of court records (if the individual has been arrested)
  • Copy of the principal applicant’s selection letter for the diversity visa lottery from DOS
  • Copy of the receipt from DOS for the diversity visa lottery processing fee
  • Applicable fees

3. I had stayed in France, Spain, Germany, and China for 6 months, respectively. May I ask is it required to provide the police record of each country? Or the police record from my original birth country will be fine?

4. Do all the documents need to be translated into English and certified officially? I saw some discussions said that the original language is fine in the interview, but I cannot really understand why, do people in the USCIS speaks multiple languages?

Thanks for your help!

1. No, USCIS will not be contacting you. Please go through this attached link for the AOS spreadsheet we've put together to help guide people:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...xHaFFtdVI4Y01oTFc3ZnZlb1E&usp=drive_web#gid=5

2. No need to contact USCIS as long as you've never violated or gone out of status. Go through the AOS spreadsheet for the list of applicable forms/documents.

3. No PCC required for AOS

4. For AOS, all documents not in English MUST be translated into English and should have a signed certification by the persons doing the translation.

Hi, I found other question. I have Associate degree from my country which already translated. But do I also need high school one? So does my husband? My husband has Bachelor degree but does he need high school degree too? Thank you!

1. No, USCIS will not be contacting you. Please go through this attached link for the AOS spreadsheet we've put together to help guide people:

2. No need to contact USCIS as long as you've never violated or gone out of status. Go through the AOS spreadsheet for the list of applicable forms/documents.

3. No PCC required for AOS

4. For AOS, all documents not in English MUST be translated into English and should have a signed certification by the persons doing the translation.

Thanks mom! May I ask if a signed certification by the persons doing the translation is fine? Or does it need some official stamp from the court in my country? Thanks!

Hi, I found other question. I have Associate degree from my country which already translated. But do I also need high school one? So does my husband? My husband has Bachelor degree but does he need high school degree too? Thank you!

IOs have been known to insist on seeing the HS diploma itself. Whoever is the main selectee in your case should ensure they include a copy of their HS Diploma in the AOS package (and it should be translated if it is not in English). The spouse doesn't need to include any educational document.