Confusing Issue with N-565

velders01

I became a US citizen by virtue of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000. I filed an N-600 Application, and received my Certificate of Citizenship, then also got a passport shortly thereafter.

Later, I got a name change.

I decide I want my new name to be reflected on my Certificate of Citizenship, so I file a N-565 (Application for a New Citizenship Certificate) enclosing my original Certificate of Citizenship along with a copy of the name change court document.

Months pass, and I receive an I-797C (Notice of Action), simply detailing their receipt of my application, in Sept. 2011. In Feb. 2012 I received my approval form, which just told me that everything was a-ok, and I should just wait for my new Certificate of Citizenship, since it should be coming anytime now. I live in the same address for the next 1.5 years, and I receive absolutely nothing.

As I'm sure many are very aware of, visiting your local USCIS office or calling the Customer Service Number rears absolutely no new information, and they generally know about as much as you do. Trust me, I've gone to the USCIS offices and called probably 10-20 times each just in the hopes of getting lucky with some new information.

Essentially, I paid the $345 for them to take my Certificate of Citizenship away.

I have my passport, and having gone through the immigration system, I've been putting it off until now, but I'm a getting a bit anxious wondering what would happen if I ever lost my passport, and I should stop procrastinating and hell.. just pay ANOTHER $345 or whatever the fee is now if it'll get me my Certificate. Even now, if I insert my receipt # on the USCIS website, it simply says, "On Feb. 7, 2012, we approved your N-565" etc...

I'm planning on just filing a new N-565.. and yes, paying again, but I'm wondering how I should fill out the form. Basis of Application: "My certificate was... taken by you, dude, where is it?"

I've even hired an immigration attorney, but any inquiry we send is simply reciprocated by a stock 'we've approved your form n-565 in sept. 2012, thanks for sending us a letter, bye.'

I'm at a loss for how to even approach this problem.

Any insight or suggestion would be fantastic. You're not sure? No worries, not even my attorney, 2 USCIS offices and like 20 people in the customer service call center knows.

Also, in the N-565 form, they ask me for my certificate # which i.. uh.. don't know. I got it when i wasn't careful, young, and stupid, and didn't document it. However, I do have my A#, my receipt #, etc...

Thanks again.

I've lost my certificate of naturalization paper as well. I went to the US immigration office in my home town to get my a# and my certificate #. had the immigration lawyer filled out my paper work and paid 345. So my question is how long did it take you to get your copy back??