Advice on Visa for my Fiance

johntamos

Hi,

I am a US Citizen, so my fiance and I are planning to Marry next June (2016), we are planning the wedding ceremony to take place in Brazil and soon after the wedding we plan to come to the US to live. My question is what is the best approach for her to come and live here, she currently has a Tourist Visa and is planning to come visit me sometime before the wedding next year. Initially I was looking into a K1 but since we are having the ceremony there I think there is too much risk to soon come here and legally marry in the US after the ceremony abroad. I don't know the best way to approach this, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You have two choices. Either
  • Get K-1 visa, marry in the US, do Adjustment of Status and she can't leave the US for at least 3 months (not until she gets Advance Parole). Or
  • Marry in Brazil, do Consular Processing while she's in Brazil (this may take up to a year), get immigrant visa to the US
She can come visit on B2 as long as she intends to go back.

Well the second option is not an option, so you're saying if we plan on having the ceremony in June, she should come in about January with a K-1 Visa stay for 3 months and go back, and then we can have the ceremony without problem ?
- There aren't any alternative at all ?

She would have to come in March or April because your wedding should happen within 90 days of entry. After wedding she will apply for adjustment in the US.