Visitor Visa Extension Application and Canada Visit

aguf

Registered Users (C)
My parents have 10 yrs visitor visa. They are visiting me with I-94 valid till Oct 20th. I am thinking of filing their extension for another 2 months because they have not been able to visit US a lot as my mother became sick as soon as they came to US in April end.

we have already planned for their Canada visit from Aug 29th to Sept 12th.

1. Can we file for extension before they leave for Canada? ( as I have heard that it takes around 2 months to get a reply for extension).

2. Will travelling to Canada invalidate the extension request? (One can visit Canada for less than 30 days without needing to get a new I-94)

2. I have heard that if I-94 extension gets denied, it will result in cancellation of the visitor visa as well. Is it true?

3. They are going by flight to Canada. Is there any possibility that they may get a new I-94 while returning?

thanks

1. Yes, but it would be a waste. By the way, it often takes 5-6 months now.
2. Yes
3. No. If they have left the US while the application is pending, then there is no decision. There is no unlawful presence. Their visas are not affected.
4. Not sure about this. Since they come back within the validity of the original I-94, maybe they will get the same one. Then they can apply for extension of stay.

. Yes, but it would be a waste. By the way, it often takes 5-6 months now.
Why would it be waste?

2. Yes
I was asking in context of the Canada visit while they have the approved I-94 and extension has been filed.

i have seen people receiving I-94 extension approvals for their parents after the parents have left US much earlier. So not sure how the application will get abandoned in this case when you can visit Canada and reenter US within 30 days with same I-94?

At flight check-in they can request the agent to take their I-94s. Upon re-entering the US at a Canadian airport US pre-clearance facility, they will be given new I-94s if they are granted re-entry.

3. They are going by flight to Canada. Is there any possibility that they may get a new I-94 while returning?