• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

oh boy! I just received the checklist from the consulate and it says "DO NOT REPLY" then says it "Please immediately email our office to confirm if you can “attend” or if you wish to “cancel”. "

So, what email address would that be?

Hi guys,
Just a question:
The profile on the USTravelDocs is just for the principal applicant or has to be one for each person (dependents)?
Thanks...

I only did it for me and not Mrs Gulkan. (Not 100% sure that's right). There's this dodgy appointment form and in that you can add dependents, however I'm not certain that is correct either.

Visa application APPROVED!!! Five minute flick and tick off of our documents and no request for any financials!!! Another 2 GCs for DV OC 2015!! Thanks everyone for all the info and support! You guys rock! California here we come!!!
Wow congrats, was there any questions asked?!

So happy for you, hope my experience is as easy as yours. I am a 2016 winner but I am sure my interview is gonna be in October.. not long to go :)

A smart investor sells at the height of the market. Now - spotting that high point is the hard part - but consider the factors that drive prices. At some point they become unaffordable, or some trigger causes the prices to adjust.

Take a look at this graph. It would take nerves of steel to hold property in Australia assuming continued rises. For someone living in Australia a property crash wouldn't matter - they sell cheap, but are able to buy cheap - but to someone who had left the country assuming their investment was as "safe as houses", well - I wouldn't....

View attachment 564
That's a very informative reasoning, Britsimon. Completely agree with it, assuming a free market.
The problem is that in Oz (Syd, Mel) the market is screwed - for whatever reason there is just not enough supply and the investments in infrastructure are lagging preventing any prompt improvements of supply, plus that overseas investors are flooding. On the other side, family investments are just not as diversified as in the States - unproportional large part of them is in property. That's said, even for some political stability reasons - with government interventions -, big drop of house prices would be avoided at any cost.
I expect the above and many other imbalances to be addressed by seeing the AUD sunk, just as @connectedspace suggests.

That's a very informative reasoning, Britsimon. Completely agree with it, assuming a free market.
The problem is that in Oz (Syd, Mel) the market is screwed - for whatever reason there is just not enough supply and the investments in infrastructure are lagging preventing any prompt improvements of supply, plus that overseas investors are flooding. On the other side, family investments are just not as diversified as in the States - unproportional large part of them is in property. That's said, even for some political stability reasons - with government interventions -, big drop of house prices would be avoided at any cost.
I expect the above and many other imbalances to be addressed by seeing the AUD sunk
, just as @connectedspace suggests.

If you're living in the US and spending US dollars, further falls in the AUD do effectively mean your personal asset prices will be falling then. So I'm not sure about the justification for holding on to it.

Also I have seen so many arguments where people extrapolate the past 5-10 years as going on forever. Cycles are longer than that. I have heard so many arguments about why house prices will "never be allowed to crash" in so many countries... Expecting the government to save you from a house price fall is probably the worst reason not to sell...

If you're living in the US and spending US dollars, further falls in the AUD do effectively mean your personal asset prices will be falling then. So I'm not sure about the justification for holding on to it.

Also I have seen so many arguments where people extrapolate the past 5-10 years as going on forever. Cycles are longer than that. I have heard so many arguments about why house prices will "never be allowed to crash" in so many countries... Expecting the government to save you from a house price fall is probably the worst reason not to sell...
I did not make myself clear. I am somewhat "independent" observer in the sense that I have been living in Oz for roughy a year and a half, do not own a property here and have no such intention, esp. for Syd or Mel with the current craze. I do not expect anyone to save me here, but with such large proportion (almost all) of family wealth in property value I think attempts would be made not to let prices crash.
I agree cycles are longer than that and AUD would stay low for quite some time.

It's true in practically every country that most of household wealth is in property. Yet, prices manage to crash regularly anyway. Never mind, this is why I didn't even want to start getting involved in this discussion - sorry for calling out the "government will save us" naïveté. I'll go back to lurking as far as this is concerned. Only spent about 15 years analyzing the Australian economy and currency, what could I possibly know :p

Gosh, it took you more than 3 months to respond to that reply, how long for this one? :p

Of course you could apply for it. Whether you get it or not, I don't know. Most people only do one long absence after becoming LPRs, you look like you want to do at least two. Out of interest, when do you plan on making a permanent move to the U.S.?
Yes, I've had my head in books studying trying to finish my degree and work full time and raise two kids oh also run a household, so sorry about the delay been a bit busy :)
Was hoping to go over in January to look at property and hopefully decide on a spot, ATM we are undecided between Richmond Virginia and Charlotte NC, we loved Charlotte last time we went over but found it quite small, so this time we were hoping to drive Virginia whilst my hubby sits his Nclex test and applies to the board of nursing so he can work in Virginia. Was hoping to spend at least 2 months and then apply for re- entry permit before coming back to settle in August come summer:) does anyone know if this is possible.?

Yes, I've had my head in books studying trying to finish my degree and work full time and raise two kids oh also run a household, so sorry about the delay been a bit busy :)

So, exactly like me during most of my time on the forum then.

Reactions: CC1
Us too, Aucklander. We can buy the house of our dreams without mortgage.
House prices in Charlotte are fantastic, we went there on our last trip, beautiful up around Davidson and lake Norman, were are you guys settling?

Funny you should mention Lake Norman, @CC1, because we're planning to buy Lake Norman lakefront (either in Cornelius or Mooresville). House prices are great in Charlotte (you get alot of house for your money) and we liked the people, lifestyle and weather alot whenever we have visited.

Reactions: CC1
We need to enter the States before December. Still undecided, but we may do a POE trip in late Nov for a week or two and move permanently sometime in 2016. Meanwhile our GCs would be issued probably in Dec. I am a bit confused while reading the IRS instructions:
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Alien-Residency---Green-Card-Test
During our week-long Nov POE trip are we considered LPRs? - May be not as our GCs would not have be issued. If this is so, we would be physically present as LPRs with our permanent move in 2016 and then our tax residency would starts - hence no need to file tax return for 2015 with IRS. Am I wrong?