• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hi Sm1smom,

Thank you so much for the help you provide here for everyone. I am a dvlottery 2016 winner. My case number is 2016AS21xx and I guess that it is a low number. I graduated with a PhD degree this month and I applied for OPT in early June and my application is still pending. I am currently in the US and I am aiming for AOS.

I did not know that I need to do the DS-260 until I visited your website a few days ago. The USCIS website does not say anything about it under the AOS case. I called KCC and they confirmed the information in your website. Thank you so much for saving me :)

I have not submitted my DS-260 yet,
1- am I too late and if so how can this affect my chances of obtaining the gc through dvlottery?
2-What is the processing time for DS-260 for AOS applicants?
3- Do you suggest that I do it ASAP or do I need to wait until I get my OPT approved?
What I am worried about is that I need to stay in status until my interview date and if my OPT gets denied for some reason (and I doubt this will happen) , I cannot do the AOS. Thanks in advance for your help.

Congratulations on your PhD degree completion and on your DV lottery selection!

1. No, not too late
2. Technically, no processing involved with AOS based DS-260. It however typically takes anywhere between 2 - 8 weeks for KCC to confirm receipt of the form/acknowledgement of the intention to process AOS (sometimes could take a bit longer).
3. I would suggest waiting a bit longer, (possibly till Sept?) - and see if OPT approval comes through by then before submitting the DS-260 form.

p.s. this is not my site, I'm just a fellow forum user :)

Hey, first congratulations for being selected in the lottery and that too with a fairly low number.
You can still submit DS 260. Also, once you submit you can always request kcc to unclock your ds260 if you want to make changes.
sharing my experience here, i submitted my ds 260 after i had applied for my opt (april 2014). I got my opt end of june and the 2 nd letter( intention of doing aos) on july.

Thank you so much for your help :)

Congratulations on your PhD degree completion and on your DV lottery selection!

1. No, not too late
2. Technically, no processing involved with AOS based DS-260. It however typically takes anywhere between 2 - 8 weeks for KCC to confirm receipt of the form/acknowledgement of the intention to process AOS (sometimes could take a bit longer).
3. I would suggest waiting a bit longer, (possibly till Sept?) - and see if OPT approval comes through by then before submitting the DS-260 form.

p.s. this is not my site, I'm just a fellow forum user :)

Thank you so much :)

Do you think that not submitting my DS-260 until September will result in delaying my interview date?

Mom!
How are you doing? Is August the beginning month of visa bulletins for dv 2016?

The Advanced Notification section of the September VB which gets released in August will have the numbers for October, the first month of the 2016 FY.

Did I succeed in confusing you? :p:p:p

The short answer to your question is yes :), but I couldn't help making the rambling explanation :D:D

When did you get your 2NL? I submitted my 260 on May 15th, and still don't have the 2NL.
Hey this was initially posted in dv aos 2015 thread. I am not a dv 2016 winner. Also, this is just the begining of the process so dont start getting worried from now itself. I assume you should be getting your 2nd letter soon. You have plenty of time. Honestly, the aos process is pretty simple (if you go over the spreadsheet ) but requires a lot of patience and waiting. So dont get worked up.

Mom!
You almost succeeded in confusing me . Your short answer YES is the one that gave a clarity. :).In short .Thank you:p

Hey this was initially posted in dv aos 2015 thread. I am not a dv 2016 winner. Also, this is just the begining of the process so dont start getting worried from now itself. I assume you should be getting your 2nd letter soon. You have plenty of time. Honestly, the aos process is pretty simple (if you go over the spreadsheet ) but requires a lot of patience and waiting. So dont get worked up.
Ah you are a DV2015 winner. That makes sense. It's just you were the first one to post something about getting the 2NL that's why thought I would ask, because AFAIK no one in DV2016 has gotten their 2NL yet. Thanks!

Hello. I have a few questions concerning the AOS. I am currently a student living in the U.S with a F-1 Visa. I have been selected for the DV2016 program. Since I am residing in the U.S I wanted to adjust my status here. I have completed the DS260 online. My CN is 2016AF20XXX. I wanted to know if I can send my Visa fee payment ($330) now so I can proceed with completing all supporting documents of form I-485 because I do not know if its too early to pay for Dv fee.

Hello. I have a few questions concerning the AOS. I am currently a student living in the U.S with a F-1 Visa. I have been selected for the DV2016 program. Since I am residing in the U.S I wanted to adjust my status here. I have completed the DS260 online. My CN is 2016AF20XXX. I wanted to know if I can send my Visa fee payment ($330) now so I can proceed with completing all supporting documents of form I-485 because I do not know if its too early to pay for Dv fee.

It's really a personal decision. I've always encouraged selectees to make the payment whenever they feel comfortable enough to commit to it, as long as they give themselves enough time to get back the payment receipt before sending in their I-485 package.

Mom!
I just check our I-94 online and my wife's name is misspelled. They wrote Patricia instead of Patience. Is that going to be a huge problem when she submitts the AOS package? Thanks

Mom!
I just check our I-94 online and my wife's name is misspelled. They wrote Patricia instead of Patience. Is that going to be a huge problem when she submitts the AOS package? Thanks

Contact CBP and get the error fixed:

3. Contact Customs and Border Protection (CBP): Correct your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record, issued when you entered the United States

If the error in your immigration document occurred upon entering the United States, you must visit a local CBP Deferred Inspection Site or a Port of Entry or Admission to have it corrected. For a list of Deferred Inspection Sites or Ports, please visit the CBP website (www.cbp.gov) and click on the “Ports” link at the bottom of the page. (Please note if USCIS issued your Form I-94, you should contact USCIS to correct that particular record.)

http://www.uscis.gov/save/benefit-applicants/how-correct-your-records-0

Mom!
I understand when you said we must doing the AOS as early as possible. I just check the requirements of a spouse which is myself in this case. My birth certificate is an abridged certificate from South Africa and I don't have the long one. I have my passport , abridged certificate as well as ID document. I don't know what to do because my father passed away and I last saw my mom when I about 7 years. That was the last time I also saw my birth certificate. What can I do in such a situation? Do you think South African Embassy can help me in this regard?

Mom!
I understand when you said we must doing the AOS as early as possible. I just check the requirements of a spouse which is myself in this case. My birth certificate is an abridged certificate from South Africa and I don't have the long one. I have my passport , abridged certificate as well as ID document. I don't know what to do because my father passed away and I last saw my mom when I about 7 years. That was the last time I also saw my birth certificate. What can I do in such a situation? Do you think South African Embassy can help me in this regard?

http://www.dha.gov.za:8087/index.php/birth-certificates1

Mom!

I haven't kept track of your case and when you need to submit, but your best bet may be to use one of the agents in SA who for a small fee can get you your documents within 2-4 weeks. Home Affairs is a complete nightmare in some cases and some people have waited 9 months or more for unabridged birth certificates. We applied for both our kids at the same time, got one in 3 weeks... and the other took over 3 months and we only got it after going to the minister's office to complain. In your case, not in SA, I'd use an agent.