• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

GC Activation & SSN questions

Tom Jones

Hi everybody.

I arrived yesterday in the US and activated my DV. I flew into Newark, NJ. Once at the counter, the IO took my fingerprits and picture like always and then went with me to another room (Secondary I think). He gave the big envelope to an other IO and I waited for about 4-5 minutes. The IO called my name, gave me my passport with the stamp in it and that was it. I had the x-ray CD and copy of the vaccination paper in my hand but the IO didn't want it. She said that's for my doctor, and I was out.

In all the hurry, I forgot and she didn't ask me to which address I want the GC to be send. The address is different than the one I provided at the Embassy. How/where can I change that? ELIS or Form AR11??

From Newark I flew to Florida. This morning I went to the Social Security Office to apply for a SSN. The officer there took my passport, typed a lot into his computer and gave me a confirmatio that I applied for a SSN and said that the card should arrive in the next 7-10 days BUT he didn't want to tell me the number. Now I have to wait until the card is here so I can open a bank account and do a driver's licence etc... is there a way to find out my SSN even without the card?

Thanks for the help.

Hi everybody.

I arrived yesterday in the US and activated my DV. I flew into Newark, NJ. Once at the counter, the IO took my fingerprits and picture like always and then went with me to another room (Secondary I think). He gave the big envelope to an other IO and I waited for about 4-5 minutes. The IO called my name, gave me my passport with the stamp in it and that was it. I had the x-ray CD and copy of the vaccination paper in my hand but the IO didn't want it. She said that's for my doctor, and I was out.

In all the hurry, I forgot and she didn't ask me to which address I want the GC to be send. The address is different than the one I provided at the Embassy. How/where can I change that? ELIS or Form AR11??

From Newark I flew to Florida. This morning I went to the Social Security Office to apply for a SSN. The officer there took my passport, typed a lot into his computer and gave me a confirmatio that I applied for a SSN and said that the card should arrive in the next 7-10 days BUT he didn't want to tell me the number. Now I have to wait until the card is here so I can open a bank account and do a driver's licence etc... is there a way to find out my SSN even without the card?

Thanks for the help.

Best process for initiating the change is really at the POE. You can call the USCIS 1800 number to find out what your next step should be regarding where you want the GC sent. Form AR11 isn't quite applicable to you as you haven't really lived at that address in the U.S. and there's no guarantee it would have been reconciled with your information by the time they send out your GC.

Regarding the SSN, you weren't given your number because there was no application in the system for you prior to your visit which means the SSN hadn't been generated for you yet. So you'll have to wait for it just like thy told you.

Thank you for the information. I called the 1-800 number and after managing to get hold of a living person it was pretty simple from there on. I explained my situation and she did the rest. Everything should be fine now and the GC should arrive to my new address.

Yes, you are right regarding the SSN. The officer said the same thing - he can't tell me the SSN because the system hasn't yet generated a number for me. This would happen over night when the system updates. So, except waiting a few days there is nothing I can do :)

Does it matter in which SSN office I'll go? There are social security administrations, offices, social security card centers, which one? I must fill some form? Do I need other documents except passport?
I need it in NY, Brooklyn, thanks.
(I thought SSN will be automatically delivered at given address as GC, but I asked officer at POE and he said that I must go to SSN office to apply)

Last edited:
Does it matter in which SSN office I'll go? There are social security administrations, offices, social security card centers, which one? I must fill some form? Do I need other documents except passport?
I need it in NY, Brooklyn, thanks.
(I thought SSN will be automatically delivered at given address as GC, but I asked officer at POE and he said that I must go to SSN office to apply)

You go to the SSA office nearest to you. If the system doesn't show an existing application submitted on your behalf, then yes you fill out a new application form, so it's not a bad idea to visit the office with a new application form on hand (you can download the form from their website online). Have your passport and birth certificate on hand when you visit.

Technically, the SSN is supposed to be automatically mailed out if you ticked that option on your DS-260 form, it however hasn't always been the case for everyone.

Yes mine is green too, I just received it and it is beautiful. Probably because of what it represent ;)

Which lead me to a question about the social security paper, are we suppose to receive it automatically since I checked the box in the form? And approximatively, how long does it takes after receiving the green card?

Thanks

Yes mine is green too, I just received it and it is beautiful. Probably because of what it represent ;)

Which lead me to a question about the social security paper, are we suppose to receive it automatically since I checked the box in the form? And approximatively, how long does it takes after receiving the green card?

Thanks

You normally get the SSN first. Go to the SSA and check progress/apply for the SSN.

OK, that's what I was afraid of. Unfortunatly I'm taking a plane to France today, I will take care of it when I'll come back in early September, or maybe via phone if it is possible.

I want to take this opportunity to personally thank you, Sm1smom and SusieQQQ for your help and guidance during this long and stressful process.

OK, that's what I was afraid of. Unfortunatly I'm taking a plane to France today, I will take care of it when I'll come back in early September, or maybe via phone if it is possible.

I want to take this opportunity to personally thank you, Sm1smom and SusieQQQ for your help and guidance during this long and stressful process.

SSN request/application can only be done in person, so you can take care of it in September when you return. Have a safe trip.

Glad to have been of help to you.

Thanks Sm1smon,
I see, then I will take care of i in September. Should I contact them by phone first, since it is the mentioned procedure on the USCIS website in case you dont receive your SSN in 30 days?

As I read my message again, I feel that it could be misinterpreted a little. Of course I was also thanking Britsimon (the "you" in my list) I hope he understood it correctly ;)

Thanks Sm1smon,
I see, then I will take care of i in September. Should I contact them by phone first, since it is the mentioned procedure on the USCIS website in case you dont receive your SSN in 30 days?

As I read my message again, I feel that it could be misinterpreted a little. Of course I was also thanking Britsimon (the "you" in my list) I hope he understood it correctly ;)

USCIS does not handle or process SSN, so you cannot call USCIS to follow up on your SSN.

And I'm sure Simon understands the 'you' in your post as referring to him, he's an English man after all ;)

I searched social security office here https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp#cardCenterNotice-Desktop and there is written that if you want card service it gives you different address, not nearest to you,
so I went there. I asked him if it was automatically applied for SSN, he said No, so I applied for new one.
Yeah, you needed to go to a 'Card Center' location, and not all SSA offices are Card centers. In NYC, for example there are 4 Card center locations. See here for reference: http://www.nyc.gov/html/id/html/how/sscard_location.shtml

Important Information for Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Manhattan Residents:

In order to enhance public service and strengthen the integrity of the Social Security Number, the Social Security Administration opened the Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Manhattan Social Security Card Centers. The Centers are located at:

• 154 Pierrepont Street, Sixth Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201
  • 155-10 Jamaica Avenue, Second Floor, Jamaica, NY 11432
  • 820 Concourse Village West, Second Floor, Bronx, NY 10451
  • 123 William Street, Third Floor, New York, NY 10038
These are the only Social Security Offices in New York where residents of Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Manhattan - both U.S. citizens and non-citizens - can apply for an original Social Security Number or for a replacement card.

Social Security Card Center Locations – NYC

Last edited: