I-131, Application for Travel Document (Reentry Permit)

My mother became Legal Permanent Resident in November/2014 and went to India in February/2015 came back to the USA in July/2015. She is not feeling well due to medical problems.

1. When can i file for her Reentry Permit so that she can stay in India for over a year and still be able to maintain Green Card ? Since she returned to USA only few days ago, do i need to wait at least a few months to file for her Reentry Permit ?
  2. Is Form I-131 the correct form to file for extended stay (less than 2 years) outside USA ?
Thanks

1. You can apply for a Re-entry Permit any time she is in the US. It doesn't matter how short a time she is in the US. They just need to receive it while she is in the US. Note that she will need to go to a biometrics appointment at some point as part of the application. So either she waits until after she does biometrics to leave the US, or she leaves and comes back to do the biometrics.
2. Yes. She will apply for a Re-entry Permit

If she is staying overseas for more than a year for medical reasons, she needs to notify USCIS.