Dui in Va. Citizenship application

kbhalla

Registered Users (C)
Hi ..

I am applying for my citizenship. All is good in my application except that on my 21st bday (16 yrs ago) I was arrested for a dui (.08 Bac) in Christiansburg, Va. I spent a few hours in a holding cell with a bunch of other people and was released once a judge came in.
In the court hearing a few months later my dui was reduced to reckless drive and I had to go for a short AA course.
Any thoughts on how to proceed.. This is the only part of my application that i haven't filled.
1) how do I obtain an approved police report to submit with my application?
2) do I write a note explaining all this?

I doubt it will impact my decision but from what I read that is up to the discretion of the officer.

I would provide and bring along to the interview a copy of the final court disposition of the case (not the police report, because the police report only contains the officer's observations, not the actual charge(s) or conviction(s) ).

I highly doubt that a single DUI from 16 years ago that has been properly taken care of (i.e. no old warrants still outstanding, etc) will hold you back from being naturalized. The only thing that might be an issue is if you didn't disclose this issue when you filed your I-485 in 2006 when disclosure of the arrest and conviction (albeit on a reduced charge) was also required to be disclosed. Hopefully this won't be a problem although I'm curious why you don't already have a copy of all required documentation in your personal files from your green card application--since your DUI was pre-GC.