GC for family and spouse's eligibility to work if I am on TN

canimmig

So my employer will be doing TN->GC for me.
I am a Canadian citizen born not in Canada or China or India with a Masters degree from Canada and 10 years work experience in IT.

My question is, after I get my GC, how long does it take for my spouse and children to get GC?
Secondly, my wife will be looking for residency in US. (residency = mandatory internship in US hospitals for foreign medical graduates). The residency opportunity quota for doctors requiring visa sponsorship is much less than doctors who are eligible to work in US without any visa sponsorship.

Is there any point during the GC processing (before GC is issued) when a person (in this case my wife) will not need a visa sponsorship to be able to work in a US hospital? That will substantially increase her chances to get internship. She is a Permanent resident of Canada while me and children are citizens. She is expected to become citizen later this year, so by the time GC application is in advances stages she will be a canadian citizen as we ll.

Thanks.

Your dependants will get GC at same time as you as long as you submit their paperwork at the same time your employer submits yours.
So, as soon as your firm files I-485, you will do the samre for her, and he will get EAD 2-3 months after that.
her citizenship won;t really matter in all this.

Your dependants will get GC at same time as you as long as you submit their paperwork at the same time your employer submits yours.
So, as soon as your firm files I-485, you will do the samre for her, and he will get EAD 2-3 months after that.
her citizenship won;t really matter in all this.
thanks so basically when my employer is filing 485 I also file the same for her. Before my 485 is filed, I dont need to do anything regarding her paper work.
and 2-3 months after mine and her's 485 is filed we are expected to get EAD which will allow her and ofcourse me to work in US without any visa sponsorship.

thanks

Correct. Of course, while your firm is preparing your I-485, you would need to be doing the same for your fsmily: Medical exams, vaccinations, etc.
A good employer would offer to submit all your I-485's together; you may wish to ask about this.

Now, specific to your spouse's employment in the medical field, there is something known as a visa screen that she may have to get, and of course any state licensing she might need.
That would be a subject for another forum, not here.

great and I assume while I am in US on TN and before we reach the 485 filing stage she does not have any work authorization and will need a visa sponsor like TN or H1 to be able to work in US. So my family is more like on a visitor status until ofcourse EAD is granted.

Yes, the only thing TD is better than B2 (visitor) is that they can live in US, which is not the case on B2. if she wants to work before getting EAD, she needs to find a qualifying job and sponsor and get status approve, like you did.

Yes, the only thing TD is better than B2 (visitor) is that they can live in US, which is not the case on B2. if she wants to work before getting EAD, she needs to find a qualifying job and sponsor and get status approve, like you did.
cool, thanks a lot for being so helpful.

While not sure of exactly when your wife plans to apply apply for residency, i highly recommend having some form of non-J work authorization established e.g. EAD before applying for the match. Assuming she gets a residency _and_ you are still far off from your employer sponsored GC, she can technically still work on J-status, however, she will then be subject to foreign residency requirement. Might as well avoid that as much as possible. I will take this discussion offline with you in a private thread...

I am wondering how did the TN->GC process go, did your country of birth have no backlog or were you able to renew your current TN after filing I-140. Thank you.

I am wondering how did the TN->GC process go, did your country of birth have no backlog or were you able to renew your current TN after filing I-140. Thank you.
Actually, my employer wants to hire me when I am close to moving to US and I wanted them to wait over a year for me to be physically present there which was too long for them.