• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 Winners Meet Here

Thank you for sharing your expertise for those of us who need it.

My wife and I applied for DV 2016 and thank God she was selected - 2016AF00006XXX. We still have not submitted the DS 260 form because I am currently working abroad on contract basis to end in September 2015. A November interview date would be ideal for us, so we plan to submit the DS 260 form by mid this month (July), please advise.

I have a 3 year old son with another woman. My wife is the principal applicant and as her spouse, in the form during application, I was not asked if I had child of my own, in DS 260 I have been asked. Is it in order for me to mention that I have a son and that in future I would like him to join in USA?

Is our Case Number Safe? When should we expect the interview to be?

Were you married before the eDV entry, and if so, so she list your son on her entry?

Thank you for sharing your expertise for those of us who need it.

My wife and I applied for DV 2016 and thank God she was selected - 2016AF00006XXX. We still have not submitted the DS 260 form because I am currently working abroad on contract basis to end in September 2015. A November interview date would be ideal for us, so we plan to submit the DS 260 form by mid this month (July), please advise.

I have a 3 year old son with another woman. My wife is the principal applicant and as her spouse, in the form during application, I was not asked if I had child of my own, in DS 260 I have been asked. Is it in order for me to mention that I have a son and that in future I would like him to join in USA?

Is our Case Number Safe? When should we expect the interview to be?

Your number is low enough that it could possibly become current in Oct. However, with the delay in submitting your DS-260 form, that cannot be guaranteed. You may be looking at a November or possibly December interview, depending on when you eventually submit the form.

Now, regarding your 3 year old son, listing him on your DS form might be a problem. Your wife was supposed to have listed him as her step son on her own application. Yes, you couldn't have listed him under your name in your wife's application, however, the US immigration law sees the child as your wife's step-child and should have been listed by her.

a question about our region AS why it lasts so long , for example this year selected almost 15000 entrant from asia I am at the middle of numbers but I have to wait till june next year is drivative visa the same as entrants visa or something apart?

Were you married before the eDV entry, and if so, so she list your son on her entry?

Mr. Britsimon, yes I was married before the eDV entry but I had no clue that it was possible for my wife to include my boy, he lives with the mother, thank you.

Mr. Britsimon, yes I was married before the eDV entry but I had no clue that it was possible for my wife to include my boy, he lives with the mother, thank you.

Then I am sorry to say that your wife should be disqualified. I say "should" meaning that if the existence of the child is known the case will be disqualified. As Mom explains above, a step child must be included in the initial entry whether or not the step child lives with you or you don't plan to take the child to the USA.

People have in the past asked what if they don't reveal the child - well, that might be discovered anyway - in which case you can add charges of immigration fraud to the problems. Furthermore if you do not declare the child and somehow pass the interview you will NEVER be able to declare the existence of the child to the USCIS. To do so could mean loss of your status, even if you have taken citizenship by that time.

Your number is low enough that it could possibly become current in Oct. However, with the delay in submitting your DS-260 form, that cannot be guaranteed. You may be looking at a November or possibly December interview, depending on when you eventually submit the form.

Now, regarding your 3 year old son, listing him on your DS form might be a problem. Your wife was supposed to have listed him as her step son on her own application. Yes, you couldn't have listed him under your name in your wife's application, however, the US immigration law sees the child as your wife's step-child and should have been listed by her.
I appreciate Super Moderator Sm1smon for your response, indeed I am clear on that now.

In the DS 260 form, I refer to "Present Work/Education/Training Information"
"NOTE: Provide the following information concerning your current employment or education".
I wonder, is this where I should indicate my qualification academic or otherwise, on the basis of which I applied to participate in the DV lottery? If so, when I opt for qualification on the basis of education, the following question does not make sense to me, "Does this job require at least 2 years of training or experience?" On your advise, I will fill in my High School details in this place, then again I question myself how this can be “Present” when I finished High school ages ago.

Kindly help me sort it out.

As the derivative, you don't need to qualify. So your education and/or employment is not relevant other than it might go to prove that you won't be a public charge. Include your education and work experience in the DS260.

Read point 14 on p4-5, as well as the FAQ (#13) that that point links to:
http://travel.state.gov/content/dam...Translations/DV_2016_Instructions_English.pdf

Unfortunately, as these show, the instructions say clearly all stepchildren need to be listed even if not living with the applicant, and that leaving off any children who must be listed will result in disqualification.

I appreciate Super Moderator Sm1smon for your response, indeed I am clear on that now.

In the DS 260 form, I refer to "Present Work/Education/Training Information"
"NOTE: Provide the following information concerning your current employment or education".
I wonder, is this where I should indicate my qualification academic or otherwise, on the basis of which I applied to participate in the DV lottery? If so, when I opt for qualification on the basis of education, the following question does not make sense to me, "Does this job require at least 2 years of training or experience?" On your advise, I will fill in my High School details in this place, then again I question myself how this can be “Present” when I finished High school ages ago.

Kindly help me sort it out.

Like Emily posted above, you as a derivative is not required to qualify (unless cross charging to a spouse's place of birth which isn't applicable in your case). Only your wife is required to meet the educational or work requirement as applicable.

Now having said that, it's important to note that the section on "Present Work/Education/Training Information" isn't intended to be a either or section, it's not where you (or your wife) decides which of them you want to fill out to prove your qualification. You should fill out all the sections as related to know - basically starting from high school education and an additional educational qualification you may have, plus work experience if you work. All of the information you provide will help the CO in forming a better and clearer picture of your background and financial strength.

need your advice please!

Work/Education/Training Information

Primary Occupation: OTHER
Specify Other: SAFETY AND SECURITY
Present Employer or School Name: UNITED NATIONS/DSS
Address: AXXX COMPOUND
STREET PDx
City: KABUL
State/Province: KBL
Postal Zone/ZIP Code: 1xx1
Country/Region: AFGHANISTAN
Does this job require at least 2
years of training or experience?
YES
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
i applied based my school but filled occupation in first
as you know my accupation ranked 03 or 02
i think it is no need to add accupation
what do you think?
thank you

Like Emily posted above, you as a derivative is not required to qualify (unless cross charging to a spouse's place of birth which isn't applicable in your case). Only your wife is required to meet the educational or work requirement as applicable.

Now having said that, it's important to note that the section on "Present Work/Education/Training Information" isn't intended to be a either or section, it's not where you (or your wife) decides which of them you want to fill out to prove your qualification. You should fill out all the sections as related to know - basically starting from high school education and an additional educational qualification you may have, plus work experience if you work. All of the information you provide will help the CO in forming a better and clearer picture of your background and financial strength.
Thanks Emily and Mom for pointing out that I am a derivative and so I need not qualify. Certainly this is useful information for my wife, here she will fill her "Present Work" and since her job doesn't require at least two year work experience, she will so indicate.

In the subsequent section of the form under "Previous Work/Education/Training Information" and "Number of Education Institutions attended", we can fill all academic related information beginning with High School to University, which in effect takes care of qualification by education.

I suppose in the words of Mom, this will help the CO to have a clearer picture.

Kindly correct me where I may be wrong to enable us to proceed with filling of the form.

Fill in everything in the DS260. Education and work experience. It all goes to help your case.

Having said that, the bigger issue here is your wife not declaring your son on her initial entry. That is grounds for disqualification.

need your advice please!

STREET PDx
YES
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
what do you think?
thank you
Yes, you still need to fill that info in.

need your advice please!

STREET PDx
YES
what do you think?
thank you

Answer all the questions, even if you are qualifying on education.

I don't expect something like that to be a problem.
hi Sm1smom, thx for reply but are you SURE according to the AMERICAN LAW ON IMMIGRATION that would not be a problem?have You ever met a similar situation? for because of my cn i still have plenty time to fix my case and alter names on their birth certificate to match their father' s name but the point is that they all are in my CEAC with that different surname, should i submit their ds260 with the surname that matches their fathers surname will raise curiosity and doubt from the CO asking why they first enterd edv with that other surname ??? thx

hi Sm1smom, thx for reply but are you SURE according to the AMERICAN LAW ON IMMIGRATION that would not be a problem?have You ever met a similar situation? for because of my cn i still have plenty time to fix my case and alter names on their birth certificate to match their father' s name but the point is that they all are in my CEAC with that different surname, should i submit their ds260 with the surname that matches their fathers surname will raise curiosity and doubt from the CO asking why they first enterd edv with that other surname ??? thx

I've already responded with my opinion on the issue, however feel free to go with what your guts tells you.

In the DS 260 form, under "Number of Educational Institutions Attended", how do I fill in the "Date of Attendance to" for an ongoing study course that will end much later, a year later for instance?

Last edited: