• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hello all,

This topic has been very quiet since last week so let me break the ice!! I was looking at the timeline for the DV-2015 and noticed that the time between you do your biometrics and get the interview letter varies a lot for different cases. What are the factors that determine this wait time?
I had a suggestion for the DV 2016 AOS people as well. I have recently started to follow up with the DV 2015 AOS and a lot of the questions we have here has already been asked/answered there so in case you have some free time, give it a try!

Hello all,

This topic has been very quiet since last week so let me break the ice!! I was looking at the timeline for the DV-2015 and noticed that the time between you do your biometrics and get the interview letter varies a lot for different cases. What are the factors that determine this wait time?
I had a suggestion for the DV 2016 AOS people as well. I have recently started to follow up with the DV 2015 AOS and a lot of the questions we have here has already been asked/answered there so in case you have some free time, give it a try!

IL is basically FO determined. Each FO is responsible for sending out their own IL, which means interviews are scheduled based on FO workload.

Hi Sm1smom,
A quick question re: 2NL from DOS/KCC, paid DV fee and have received the receipt of payment as well about 2 months ago, have not received any 2nd notification letter in email, so I called KCC DV and they told me they don't send out any 2nd NL, i am confused now and also wonder if anyone else has received this notification email.
Thank you.

Hi Sm1smom,
A quick question re: 2NL from DOS/KCC, paid DV fee and have received the receipt of payment as well about 2 months ago, have not received any 2nd notification letter in email, so I called KCC DV and they told me they don't send out any 2nd NL, i am confused now and also wonder if anyone else has received this notification email.
Thank you.

That's the standard response from KCC regarding 2NL for AOSers. It is a waste of time for anyone processing AOS to call KCC and enquire about the 2NL.

However, it's a known fact that KCC does send out an email notification/response to AOSers once they've looked at their DS-260 forms to let them know that no further action will be taken by KCC and that one would need to contact USCIS to complete the DV process. The email will also contain an attachment with instructions for making the DV processing fee payment.

By the way, you stated you got your payment receipt about 2 months ago, that would be in early May, right? Considering DV2016 results where released on May 5th, plus the technical issues which prevented selectees from verifying their selection for a couple of days, I'm wondering how you could have made the payment and received your receipt about 2 months ago.

That's the standard response from KCC regarding 2NL for AOSers. It is a waste of time for anyone processing AOS to call KCC and enquire about the 2NL.

However, it's a known fact that KCC does send out an email notification/response to AOSers once they've looked at their DS-260 forms to let them know that no further action will be taken by KCC and that one would need to contact USCIS to complete the DV process. The email will also contain an attachment with instructions for making the DV processing fee payment.

By the way, you stated you got your payment receipt about 2 months ago, that would be in early May, right? Considering DV2016 results where released on May 5th, plus the technical issues which prevented selectees from verifying their selection for a couple of days, I'm wondering how you could have made the payment and received your receipt about 2 months ago.

Hi,
you are right, not exactly 2 months,
May 7th I figured out I was selected, i emailed KCC the very next day re: AOS, they told me to call USCIS, they also advised to pay DV fee. I received the receipt 7-8 days after that payment was made. so one and half month.
but since then i have not heard anything from KCC, no 2nd NL, should I expect one ?

by the way great thread.
hats off :)

Hi,
you are right, not exactly 2 months,
May 7th I figured out I was selected, i emailed KCC the very next day re: AOS, they told me to call USCIS, they also advised to pay DV fee. I received the receipt 7-8 days after that payment was made. so one and half month.
but since then i have not heard anything from KCC, no 2nd NL, should I expect one ?

by the way great thread.
hats off :)

From your narration, it seems like you didn't submit the DS-260 form, but you emailed them. Only those who submit the DS-260 form receive the 2NL. However, those who inform KCC, via email, of their intent to process AOS sometimes receive the 2NL also, which is in the form of an email response and some attachments. Did KCC respond to your email? Did their response include the attachments?

Can someone tell me whats the heading of the 2NL email? So I can search in my mail box. Even the email address is fine

From your narration, it seems like you didn't submit the DS-260 form, but you emailed them. Only those who submit the DS-260 form receive the 2NL. However, those who inform KCC, via email, of their intent to process AOS sometimes receive the 2NL also, which is in the form of an email response and some attachments. Did KCC respond to your email? Did their response include the attachments?

yes I have online submitted DS 260 form, and at the confirmation page of my DS260 it is clearly written that "You do not need to submit any documentation to the Kentucky Consular Center. The KCC will review your application and will notify you if any of the information you have provided is insufficient or incomplete", but I have not received any 2nd NL in email.
KCC did respond to my email, saying that I would have to contact USCIS if I want adjust my status.
my CN is AS2XXX and hoping to get current in Oct, just wanna make sure that I don't miss any thing.

And I really appreciate your prompt responses.
Thank you.

Hello Sm1smom, than you very much for your hard work and contributions to people from all around the work.
I was selected at DV2016 and my CN number is 2016EU00013XXX. I am in US and decided to go AoS route. I am an F1 student and have been in US almost 8 year, legally maintaining my status. I have filled an online DS-260 form back in May when the 1NL came out and was wondering when i would get an email from KCC confirming that i will be Adjusting my status. I went over the spreadshit but it doesnt say exactly when KCC will email me, so that i way i can go ahead and make the payment for the DV fee.
Thank in advance.

Hello Sm1smom, than you very much for your hard work and contributions to people from all around the work.
I was selected at DV2016 and my CN number is 2016EU00013XXX. I am in US and decided to go AoS route. I am an F1 student and have been in US almost 8 year, legally maintaining my status. I have filled an online DS-260 form back in May when the 1NL came out and was wondering when i would get an email from KCC confirming that i will be Adjusting my status. I went over the spreadshit but it doesnt say exactly when KCC will email me, so that i way i can go ahead and make the payment for the DV fee.
Thank in advance.

Now, I'm beginning to sound like a broken record - 2NL could take anywhere between 2 weeks - 2 months (or slightly longer). Yes the spreadsheet doesn't mention when the 2NL could be received because it isn't what determines when the DV payment should be made like you're assuming above.

Hello everyone!

I have recently discovered this forum and find it amazing that people have made the effort to put this resource together. Thanks so much!!!

I have won the DV lottery 2016 and I have a couple of very specific, timing-related questions. These arise out of the fact that I am currently on a J1-visa, which is not a dual-purpose visa (see Dual Intenta article on Wikipedia - sorry, it's not letting me post the link). This implies that I may not undertake any step towards obtaining permanent residency within 60 days of any entry into the US or I may be considered to have entered the country with the intent to violate the premises under which my visa has been issued (see sections 9 FAM 40.63 N4.7-2 to 7-4 of the Department of State Visa Manual Vol 9 - sorry, it's not letting me post the link).

Here my questions:

1) I understand that if I choose to do AOS instead of CS (for many reasons the most convenient option) I should NOT fill DS-260 within 60 days after having entered the country nor while abroad during the summer in my home country. Is this right?

2) I would assume too that exiting the country and trying to reenter after having filled DS-260 (not having applied for AOS yet) will result in trouble at the port of entry. Is this correct?

3) If these assumptions are true I would have an interest in filling DS-260 as close as possible to the date my case number becomes current (EU 13xxx), so that I have flexibility in terms of traveling abroad. Is there any disadvantage in delaying the filling of DS-260 in this manner?

4) Related to the previous question: How much time would I need to plan for all the steps that go between filling DS-260 (step 2 on the the tab "AOS process" of the spread-sheet) and sending my AOS packet to USCIS? I would of course want to do the latter as soon as my visa number is listed in the Bulletin as becoming available the following month

5) Beyond these questions, si there anything else I should consider, given my current immigration status/visa type (J1)?

Thanks everyone for your very valuable help! I'd be immensely grateful if someone could help.

P

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I have recently discovered this forum and find it amazing that people have made the effort to put this resource together. Thanks so much!!!

I have won the DV lottery 2016 and I have a couple of very specific, timing-related questions. These arise out of the fact that I am currently on a J1-visa, which is not a dual-purpose visa (see Dual Intenta article on Wikipedia - sorry, it's not letting me post the link). This implies that I may not undertake any step towards obtaining permanent residency within 60 days of any entry into the US or I may be considered to have entered the country with the intent to violate the premises under which my visa has been issued (see sections 9 FAM 40.63 N4.7-2 to 7-4 of the Department of State Visa Manual Vol 9 - sorry, it's not letting me post the link).

Here my questions:

1) I understand that if I choose to do AOS instead of CS (for many reasons the most convenient option) I should NOT fill DS-260 within 60 days after having entered the country nor while abroad during the summer in my home country. Is this right?

2) I would assume too that exiting the country and trying to reenter after having filled DS-260 (not having applied for AOS yet) will result in trouble at the port of entry. Is this correct?

3) If these assumptions are true I would have an interest in filling DS-260 as close as possible to the date my case number becomes current (EU 13xxx), so that I have flexibility in terms of traveling abroad. Is there any disadvantage in delaying the filling of DS-260 in this manner?

4) Related to the previous question: How much time would I need to plan for all the steps that go between filling DS-260 (step 2 on the the tab "AOS process" of the spread-sheet) and sending my AOS packet to USCIS? I would of course want to do the latter as soon as my visa number is listed in the Bulletin as becoming available the following month

5) Beyond these questions, si there anything else I should consider, given my current immigration status/visa type (J1)?

Thanks everyone for your very valuable help! I'd be immensely grateful if someone could help.

P

1. That would be the wise way to handle it.

2. Possible

3. You may end up not receiving the 2NL early enough to be included with your I-485 package. Of course, it's not like not having the 2NL could lead to a denial of the AOS package at the end of the day.

4. Give yourself enough time to receive the 2NL if you want to include it with your package.

5. Be sure you do not have a 2 year home stay requirement to fulfill as a J1 visa holder

I contacted the KCC as suggested regarding my daughter (US citizen) being on my application. I asked them what the process was, should I fill out her DS260 form, could they remove her application, or did they just need to make a note on my file etc...? This is their response, it isn't exactly clear (to me anyway) on whether I need to fill out her form or not. If you could throw in your opinion mom, it would be much appreciated :) I've filled out my form, and my husband's and stated that "no" she won't be immigrating with us, but it's still ambiguous as to whether they're telling me below to still fill out her form "CEAC may prompt you to fill out an application for that family member".

U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) do not require and will not be issued Diversity Visas. You do not need to submit a DS-260 application for any member of your family who is a U.S. citizen or LPR.

However, the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) will prompt you to submit a Form DS-260 for any spouse or child that was listed on your original DV entry form. If you included a U.S. citizen or LPR spouse or child, this means that CEAC may prompt you to fill out an application for that family member. To resolve this issue, when asked if your U.S. citizen or LPR family member will immigrate with you, you should answer “no.”

It is important to note that even if your U.S. citizen or LPR family member intends to travel with you to the United States or will follow you later to live with you there, he or she will not technically be immigrating – your family member will simply be coming to live in his or her country of citizenship or residence, with no visa required. This means that, as always, a U.S. citizen will need to travel to the U.S. using his or her U.S. passport, and an LPR will need to use his or her passport and proof of permanent residency in the United States.

I contacted the KCC as suggested regarding my daughter (US citizen) being on my application. I asked them what the process was, should I fill out her DS260 form, could they remove her application, or did they just need to make a note on my file etc...? This is their response, it isn't exactly clear (to me anyway) on whether I need to fill out her form or not. If you could throw in your opinion mom, it would be much appreciated :) I've filled out my form, and my husband's and stated that "no" she won't be immigrating with us, but it's still ambiguous as to whether they're telling me below to still fill out her form "CEAC may prompt you to fill out an application for that family member".

U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) do not require and will not be issued Diversity Visas. You do not need to submit a DS-260 application for any member of your family who is a U.S. citizen or LPR.

However, the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) will prompt you to submit a Form DS-260 for any spouse or child that was listed on your original DV entry form. If you included a U.S. citizen or LPR spouse or child, this means that CEAC may prompt you to fill out an application for that family member. To resolve this issue, when asked if your U.S. citizen or LPR family member will immigrate with you, you should answer “no.”

It is important to note that even if your U.S. citizen or LPR family member intends to travel with you to the United States or will follow you later to live with you there, he or she will not technically be immigrating – your family member will simply be coming to live in his or her country of citizenship or residence, with no visa required. This means that, as always, a U.S. citizen will need to travel to the U.S. using his or her U.S. passport, and an LPR will need to use his or her passport and proof of permanent residency in the United States.

Did you pay any attention to my actual response when you first asked about your daughter? I never suggested you ask what the process was supposed to be, my suggestion my simply to email KCC and let them know your daughter is already a USC and would not be processing as a derivative! Below is what I previously posted:

You should email KCC and explain the fact that your daughter is already a USC and would therefore not be processing as a derivative. This will ensure KCC releases your file when your FO requests for it, KCC has a habit of holding on to filed under the assumption that the complete DV fee hasn't been made.

For that section, the correct answer should be "No". Since your daughter is already a USC, she cannot be immigrating to the U.S.

Having to answer the same question over and over again can be quite tiring. Filling out the DS form is an official formal petition, there's no reason for someone who is already a citizen to be petitioning for a visa to live in the U.S.! Even if your daughter wasn't already a USC and you indicate on your form (and your husband's) that she wouldn't be immigrating with you guys for instance, you do not fill out a separate DS-260 form for her.

Did you pay any attention to my actual response when you first asked about your daughter? I never suggested you ask what the process was supposed to be, my suggestion my simply to email KCC and let them know your daughter is already a USC and would not be processing as a derivative! Below is what I previously posted:

Having to answer the same question over and over again can be quite tiring. Filling out the DS form is an official formal petition, there's no reason for someone who is already a citizen to be petitioning for a visa to live in the U.S.! Even if your daughter wasn't already a USC and you indicate on your form (and your husband's) that she wouldn't be immigrating with you guys for instance, you do not fill out a separate DS-260 form for her.

I did read your original response, and I did inform them of that. Their response to that was that which I gave above, which didn't sound like they'd noted that she wouldn't be processing as a derivative. So I asked them, in that case, what the process was. I will just leave hers unfilled then. Thanks.

AOS 2NL could take anywhere between 2 weeks - 12 weeks from the date of the DS-260 form submission.
Mom, I have not received my 2NL yet, but I still have about a month before its 12weeks past my DS260 submission date. Looking at your spreadsheet to do list - it seems that all I can currently do is prepare documentation. The DV payment is only after I reaceived the 2NL right? Also, do we have to have police clearance from our home country?

Thank you for the help

I did read your original response, and I did inform them of that. Their response to that was that which I gave above, which didn't sound like they'd noted that she wouldn't be processing as a derivative. So I asked them, in that case, what the process was. I will just leave hers unfilled then. Thanks.

When it comes to dealing with KCC (and USCIS for that matter), choice of words matters. Asking KCC what the process is with regards to your daughter and whether or not you needed to fill out the DS-260 form for her (as you posted above) is not the same as informing them about the fact that your daughter is already a USC and that you will not be filling out the DS-260 form for her (which is what I had suggested you do). Their response seem appropriate (admittedly vaguely confusing) IMHO.

Mom, I have not received my 2NL yet, but I still have about a month before its 12weeks past my DS260 submission date. Looking at your spreadsheet to do list - it seems that all I can currently do is prepare documentation. The DV payment is only after I reaceived the 2NL right? Also, do we have to have police clearance from our home country?

Thank you for the help

The DV payment isn't necessarily after the receipt of the 2NL. It mostly depends on how high or low your CN is, and how soon you're comfortable with making the payment. The payment can be made prior to the receipt of the 2NL.

PCC from home country is not required for AOS.