• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

No advise is better than bad advise. And this is a bad advise. You are not a US permanent resident until your are admitted at POE. Merely getting a visa is not enough. Stating that you are a US PR in job applications, when you are not, is blatant lying.

No mr. LazyDog, you are talking something out of context. This is about job application and you can take the job only after you cross the PoE and if you have a bit of logically oriented mind crossing PoE means your LPR is endorsed and you have a valid Green Card. Read the last line of the visa sticker on your passport, if you have it. So where is the lying you are crying about?

On the other hand, have you ever seen a DV immigrant sent back home after arriving at the PoE? The reason behind is not the nonsense cheating you are talking about but, from my experience, employers don't understand if you tell them "you will be LPR after POE bla bla .." and they will automatically drop you even from the initial short list. All they need is to know that you are LPR and you will, of course, be LPR by the time you meet them.

Advise for you: Use your brain and understand the context before barking blindly.

No mr. LazyDog, you are talking something out of context. This is about job application and you can take the job only after you cross the PoE and if you have a bit of logically oriented mind crossing PoE means your LPR is endorsed and you have a valid Green Card. Read the last line of the visa sticker on your passport, if you have it. So where is the lying you are crying about?

On the other hand, have you ever seen a DV immigrant sent back home after arriving at the PoE? The reason behind is not the nonsense cheating you are talking about but, from my experience, employers don't understand if you tell them "you will be LPR after POE bla bla .." and they will automatically drop you even from the initial short list. All they need is to know that you are LPR and you will, of course, be LPR by the time you meet them.

Advise for you: Use your brain and understand the context before barking blindly.

A bit rude in your response, especially considering you have already been giving wrong advice to people, and to answer your question, although it's rare yes I have heard of people with immigrant visas being refused entry. The last line on the visa sticker that you "bark" about is then meaningless.

Lazy doggie is correct that you are not a permanent resident yet and should not be representing yourself as one. By all means say you have an immigrant visa that once activated gives you an unconditional green card.

That is like putting the wrong marital status on your eDV entry because you expect it to be changed by the time you interview. You can get rude and upset but lazy doggie is absolutely correct- at the time you are claiming to be a lpr you are lying about it. No need to "use brains" about that.

Remember most states have at will employment. You arrive at a job, someone realizes you lied on your application as you were not an lpr when you claimed you were, you can be dismissed immediately. Even those not at will probably have some clause about dishonesty in job applications allowing them to dismiss you. You can accuse them of "barking" but they may be wondering what else you lied about.

First of all congratulations on being able to secure a job, put housing arrangement in place before landing as a permanent resident.

Now, I must agree with Susie your response is quite harsh and a bit rude. It's true one isn't a LPR until the person actually lands and is formally admitted. It's not wise to be formally claiming a LPR status when that status hasn't been granted, the immigrant visa alone does not confer a LPR status without it being endorsed at the POE. Admission into the U.S. is ultimately still at the discretion of the CBP officer.

Now I know most employers are reluctant to hire people requiring sponsorship in order to work. The best way to handle the conversion when it gets to that stage is to simply let them know sponsorship will not be required. You let them know that you already have a visa authorizing you to seek employment and that you will be coming into the U.S. as a LPR, not that you're a LPR. Big difference!

First of all congratulations on being able to secure a job, put housing arrangement in place before landing as a permanent resident.

Now, I must agree with Susie your response is quite harsh and a bit rude. It's true one isn't a LPR until the person actually lands and is formally admitted. It's not wise to be formally claiming a LPR status when that status hasn't been granted, the immigrant visa alone does not confer a LPR status without it being endorsed at the POE. Admission into the U.S. is ultimately still at the discretion of the CBP officer.

Now I know most employers are reluctant to hire people requiring sponsorship in order to work. The best way to handle the conversion when it gets to that stage is to simply let them know sponsorship will not be required. You let them know that you already have a visa authorizing you to seek employment and that you will be coming into the U.S. as a LPR, not that you're a LPR. Big difference!

Thank you @Sm1smom. Wawoo you are really good mom of this forum. You perfectly got the context if my point, my intention and what I learned in the process of searching for job "... employers are reluctant to hire people requiring sponsorship ...". I missed a couple of chances of competing for jobs because I genuinely told them the fact that "I am not yet LPR and I am expecting it at POE."

Conclusion is that our forum members who try online job applications from distance should use phrases like the one you put in bold instead of using the two extremes "I am expecting at POE" and "I have"- I Totally Agree!!

Finally, sorry for being rude while responding to @LazyDoggie. I was trying to speak his own language. But surprised by words from @SusieQQQ, lol:)

oh Ethiopian airlines fees is 27300,what shall i do?

Hi @selina90, this is really too much. Probably it is due to your destination in the US. Have you checked the other options: Emirates, Quatar, Turkish, Lufthansa, KLM, .... I haven't tried but I read some where in this forum that IOM office arranges one way ticket with fair price for those who have immigrant visa. Their office is Bole behind Friendship (DH Geda) buildings.

Tip: to compare prices of the airlines, you don't have to visit their office one by one but you can do it from Internet on their respective website. The other option is try a travel agent that has access to multiple airlines to help you search the cheapest rate available for your destination.
Good Luck

Do you mean 7-11 the grocery stores, or something else?
The ones I saw in many a suburb town of DC were small but strategically situated convenience stores mainly stocking coffee, bread, milk etc, things you needed to pick on almost daily basis.
I sampled ten and the staff in about seven of them were unmistakable- Ethiopians and good Ethiopian and Kenyan coffee was readily available.

The ones I saw in many a suburb town of DC were small but strategically situated convenience stores mainly stocking coffee, bread, milk etc, things you needed to pick on almost daily basis.
I sampled ten and the staff in about seven of them were unmistakable- Ethiopians and good Ethiopian and Kenyan coffee was readily available.

7-elevens are franchise owned, and tend to know and cater well to the populations of the areas they are situated in. Is there a sizeable Ethiopian community where you are?

Actually - I have just remembered that the first Ethiopian restaurant I ever went to was in DC!

7-elevens are franchise owned, and tend to know and cater well to the populations of the areas they are situated in. Is there a sizeable Ethiopian community where you are?

Actually - I have just remembered that the first Ethiopian restaurant I ever went to was in DC!
I sampled suburbs to the entire north of DC. Had I not encountered a sitting duck situation, I would have done the entire metro district.

Other bigger stores and malls had nothing unique about them.

You only got the warm welcome welcoming smiles from 7-11. It was also brisk business in almost all the franchises I visited. I often had to queue