• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2015 winners from Asia with CN 10,000+

Care to explain why they are unrelated?

Since they mentioned hardware and affects every post, my mind jumps to server.
I am sure everyone knows the info being sent from post to HQ is not by cable (despite the name being used sometimes). It has to be by satellite so there's another related hardware.

So what can it be?
If it's unrelated, say the CO cannot pull up your DS260, they will simply ask you to come back another day.
I recalled a member being told back in Oct 2014 as they were having problem with the form.Luckily he printed out the DS260 form.
The fact that they were performing interview suggest otherwise.

So that left me wondering what else cannot be performed?
They must have combined your e-dv registration (with the photo) with DS260 in 1 file, set up as a query being requested by the CO.
At the interview, they take your photo and fingerprint for both AOS and CP.
Based on those, they run relevant checks based on various databases. Some nationals will got checked much longer as you can imagine they are being run through more databases (not at the same time)
It would be too naive to think they run your name/DOB only, right?

"We are still experiencing problems with some online immigrant visa application forms. We hope to have a fix in place for this by early next week."
"As posts have been brought back online, we have been processing pending biometric checks."

Where does it say the biometric checks are connected to the online forms? The online form they are discussing is the DS260 - which as we know does not have biometric info...

I think this has been asked before, but I want to make sure: Do previous visas/travel to the US help avoid AP?

Not necessarily. There are lots of people currently living in the U.S. on one form of NIV or the other who are stuck in AP for years on their GC process. There's also a significant number of LPRs currently stuck on AP and unable to complete their naturalization process. One would have assumed once they cleared the AP for the GC process, the naturalization process would be a walk in the park, well not so. And I'm talking about people who never even left the U.S. once they completed the GC process.

Yes - but you have to make sure that a candidate at 3000 is interviewed before a candidate at 6000 (for example) - assuming those are split over different VBs.
Right, everything else being equal (DS-260's being processed and all) the updated process will certainly need to ensure there were no "passing on the right lane" (or on the left if you will, in the UK) :)

"We are still experiencing problems with some online immigrant visa application forms. We hope to have a fix in place for this by early next week."
"As posts have been brought back online, we have been processing pending biometric checks."

Where does it say the biometric checks are connected to the online forms? The online form they are discussing is the DS260 - which as we know does not have biometric info...
If biometrics (photo and other info on e-dv) are not connected to DS260, how can a CO check your entry name vs DS260 name, entry DOB vs DS260 DOB, and with the photo, you are who you claim to be?
On an IT perspective? would you build 2 queries, 1 for eDV and 1 for DS260?

Based on the above, I find it hard to imagine they are not connected.

Not necessarily. There are lots of people currently living in the U.S. on one form of NIV or the other who are stuck in AP for years on their GC process. There's also a significant number of LPRs currently stuck on AP and unable to complete their naturalization process. One would have assumed once they cleared the AP for the GC process, the naturalization process would be a walk in the park, well not so. And I'm talking about people who never even left the U.S. once they completed the GC process.
Could that be due to what they've "done" or perceived to have "done" in the US?
For example, someone cleared check and enter as a student on F visa can study physics and therefore be considered on tech alert (counter proliferation) and when the next touchpoint (e.g. GC) comes, they are subject to more checks based on what they did(in this case study) in the US?

There was indeed a DoS post on the hardware error which mentioned problems getting the biometric info to the central database. In fact, these recent posts here are the first time I am aware that there was also an issue accessing the DS260s. So it does seem like there were at least two separate issues both in play. I'm no computer expert but if they were both cited as reasons for the same delay surely there is some connection...??

There was indeed a DoS post on the hardware error which mentioned problems getting the biometric info to the central database. In fact, these recent posts here are the first time I am aware that there was also an issue accessing the DS260s. So it does seem like there were at least two separate issues both in play. I'm no computer expert but if they were both cited as reasons for the same delay surely there is some connection...??
Exactly Sussie, you got my point.
I am sure you remember at the beginning of the program year, post cannot pull up DS260.
If the problem is unrelated (no DS260), they will halt interviews all together.The CO simply doens't know what to ask.

I always think the CO won't ask a question they don't have an answer to, at least most of the question. This is a classic British style investigative techniques where American tend to rely on metric and machines (lie detectors), at least back in the days.

The answer to the general question would be no, as concerning tourist travel etc., as considerations and requirements for IV are different, in many cases opposite to some NIV categories. However there are exceptions, i.e. we found in our case, having lived in the US for 15+ years on various NIV's with full transparency for the duration, that our family had been "pre-cleared" in advance of the interview date and basically simply had to "confirm our visa" that day. Hence, the proper answer therefore should be something like "it depends"...
Thank you so much, sir! Talk about adding more depressing factors to the mix..
Thanks mom! Wow, I never knew you could also end up on AP in the naturalization stage.

Right, everything else being equal (DS-260's being processed and all) the updated process will certainly need to ensure there were no "passing on the right lane" (or on the left if you will, in the UK) :)
Yes - but you have to make sure that a candidate at 3000 is interviewed before a candidate at 6000 (for example) - assuming those are split over different VBs.
Not if they are being called in the same month, which beats the purposes doesn't it? They put 3800 AS CN range in 1 month in 2014.
Imagine I got my visa before Nara just because we got called the same month, she will be mad. (Nara, its just an exmaple and I hope you don't mind. I am sure you are gracious enough not to be mad.)
You will probably say this is as good as it gets.

Consider this, how difficult can it be to "lock up" the issue status until those 1st time issued applicant before you got their visa 1st?
Not very, if they are do real time biometric check, I am sure this simple case statement can be written.

Thank you so much, sir! Talk about adding more depressing factors to the mix..

Thanks mom! Wow, I never knew you could also end up on AP in the naturalization stage.

Another semi-speculation.
Once you are a citizen, you can apply for some US Govt or US person jobs, hence more check before they get you a citizenship.
One example of US person job is: Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15

Another semi-speculation.
Once you are a citizen, you can apply for some US Govt or US person jobs, hence more check before they get you a citizenship.
One example of US person job is: Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15
Interesting my friend.. At least in those cases there is no September 30 deadline looming ahead, nor a limited number of visas..

Interesting my friend.. At least in those cases there is no September 30 deadline looming ahead, nor a limited number of visas..
Lol, I probably read up too much for my own good, and got the anxiety as a side effect.
What do you think about my calculation/prediction? All comments/critiques are welcomed.

If biometrics (photo and other info on e-dv) are not connected to DS260, how can a CO check your entry name vs DS260 name, entry DOB vs DS260 DOB, and with the photo, you are who you claim to be?
On an IT perspective? would you build 2 queries, 1 for eDV and 1 for DS260?

Based on the above, I find it hard to imagine they are not connected.

Well you didn't answer my question.

The eDV has a photo. That and the name/DOB lets some initial checks take place - hence the holes.

Then the DS260 provides additional ability to perform background checks - that is why they have increased that initial processing timeline. However, there is no fingerprint taken by that point - so the answer is kind of obvious.

Fingerprints are taken later and whilst the initial eDV photo is available in the interview, it is not the photo they print on the visa. AoS is a different process.

Sorry if you find it hard to believe, but as I asked earlier, there was no connection in the statements you quoted - and you haven't explained where you saw the connection.

Not if they are being called in the same month, which beats the purposes doesn't it? They put 3800 AS CN range in 1 month in 2014.
Imagine I got my visa before Nara just because we got called the same month, she will be mad. (Nara, its just an exmaple and I hope you don't mind. I am sure you are gracious enough not to be mad.)
You will probably say this is as good as it gets.

Consider this, how difficult can it be to "lock up" the issue status until those 1st time issued applicant before you got their visa 1st?
Not very, if they are do real time biometric check, I am sure this simple case statement can be written.

Would you please take a breath and read what I wrote completely before shooting off on another tangent.

I said - "assuming those are split over different VBs"...

Well you didn't answer my question.

The eDV has a photo. That and the name/DOB lets some initial checks take place - hence the holes.

Then the DS260 provides additional ability to perform background checks - that is why they have increased that initial processing timeline. However, there is no fingerprint taken by that point - so the answer is kind of obvious.

Fingerprints are taken later and whilst the initial eDV photo is available in the interview, it is not the photo they print on the visa. AoS is a different process.

Sorry if you find it hard to believe, but as I asked earlier, there was no connection in the statements you quoted - and you haven't explained where you saw the connection.

Sorry that I've missed your question Simon.
The connection is 2 folded and allow me to explain.
1) Based on interview process (questioning techniques, comparing eDV info to DS260 info etc.), security concerns ( as I have pointed out to Mom) and IT practices (single query and avoid end user error)
2) What are the likelihood these 2 unrelated issue happening at the same time

Based on preponderance of edvidence, I speculate they are likely to be connected than not connected.

Lol, I probably read up too much for my own good, and got the anxiety as a side effect.
What do you think about my calculation/prediction? All comments/critiques are welcomed.
To be honest, I was a bit relaxed and optimistic in the last few days. I don't why but I had a good feeling about stuff, but after reading the discussion here, I was kind of wrenched back to reality, and I realized that maybe I was thinking wishfully. Sort of hard to keep the bias out when your life is on the line.
I'm still fearing that the last 7650 cutoff is an indication of a low final CN. It is too low. I don't know if we can see a large jump in the last VB, the progress of the entire year has been dismal, so why should the last VB be any different.. The problem with the CEAC data is that the technical issue is masking the real issued number and the progress of Iran AP, so I'm not sure how much we can rely on that at this stage. To look at the full half of the glass, we already have some broad calculations to show us where the last VB is heading (if Iran gets this, and RoA gets that, then the final number will be that) we just need to see how the last pieces on the board will be set, and how KCC will handle those.
Whatever the outcome, some dreams will be shattered, and like Nara, I made my peace with it. I wish I could fall asleep and wake up on the 15th. I'm really starting to stress out.

Sorry that I've missed your question Simon.
The connection is 2 folded and allow me to explain.
1) Based on interview process (questioning techniques, comparing eDV info to DS260 info etc.), security concerns ( as I have pointed out to Mom) and IT practices (single query and avoid end user error)
2) What are the likelihood these 2 unrelated issue happening at the same time

Based on preponderance of edvidence, I speculate they are likely to be connected than not connected.

I'm not saying they are not both part of the same outage what I am saying is that the biometric issue is not the basis of the online forms issue.

To be honest, I was a bit relaxed and optimistic in the last few days. I don't why but I had a good feeling about stuff, but after reading the discussion here, I was kind of wrenched back to reality, and I realized that maybe I was thinking wishfully. Sort of hard to keep the bias out when your life is on the line.
I'm still fearing that the last 7650 cutoff is an indication of a low final CN. It is too low. I don't know if we can see a large jump in the last VB, the progress of the entire year has been dismal, so why should the last VB be any different.. The problem with the CEAC data is that the technical issue is masking the real issued number and the progress of Iran AP, so I'm not sure how much we can rely on that at this stage. To look at the full half of the glass, we already have some broad calculations to show us where the last VB is heading (if Iran gets this, and RoA gets that, then the final number will be that) we just need to see how the last pieces on the board will be set, and how KCC will handle those.
Whatever the outcome, some dreams will be shattered, and like Nara, I made my peace with it. I wish I could fall asleep and wake up on the 15th. I'm really starting to stress out.

Yup. KCC will have better information than we do about Iranian AP timelines They will have to make predictions of course - but they will be able to do that far more accurately than we can.

Well said, FSW2015, and we wish you and all the other folks from ROA the very best of luck! Some will surely make it, for others this specific opportunity might slip away, however there will be others to come along. Lastly, I am pretty sure we'll not have to wait until the 15th, I'd personally start looking for final VB 2015 numbers as of July 9th...

Oh no, I hope I didn't contribute to your stress...
Always think coming here is like going to a bar, you will get drunk one way or another.