Child's Greencard and travel after citizenship

kacy2013

Registered Users (C)
My oath ceremony is tomorrow and my son will automatically become a citizen . Do I have to turn in his green card with mine since he too will be a citizen or Will he be able to keep his green card and use it to travel until I apply for his certificate through a N- 600 application?

No, DO NOT return anything of his. You'll need the GC to get the passport, which I recommend you get first, and then for the N600. I think N600 processing times are VERY long (about 2 years, if I'm not mistaken, at least in the big cities), so definitely get the passport. It's also possible that the N600 application doesn't require originals, in which case you can do both simultaneously. It is, however, optional, though highly recommended, to do the N600.

Thanks Cafeconche!!! When I look on the passport website it asks for evidence of citizenship so I'm wondering if the GC would work. Also do you know if I could take my iPad and phone to oath ceremony so I could take pictures ?

He should keep his green card. He needs his green card + your
Thanks Cafeconche!!! When I look on the passport website it asks for evidence of citizenship so I'm wondering if the GC would work. Also do you know if I could take my iPad and phone to oath ceremony so I could take pictures ?
His GC + your Certificate of Naturalization is proof of his US citizenship

No idea whether you can take your electronics. It depends on where the ceremony will be. I wasn't allowed any in Brooklyn. However, visitors might be allowed something, so if your partner is going, he/she can probably do the picture-taking. Anyway, check on the oath letter or with the location, or look for someone here in the forum who has provided specific info.

By the way, you'll also need to show the child's relationship to you, and proof of custody (living with you).

Assuming you have the necessary documents - your naturalization certificate, his green card, his birth certificate which lists you as a parent, proof of custody, etc. - for your son to get a passport, I think you should consider applying for his passport along with yours.

A bit late, but for the benefit of other readers, I think the policy on electronic devices varies by courthouse. I was allowed to bring a digital camera, but not a phone or tablet.