• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Mom,

More questions:

1) When would one need Form I-134 - Affidavit of Support?
2) On i-765 it asks for previous employment authorizations. I have had OPT before, 5 years ago, but can't remember the previous USCIS office or the date, any advice?

Thanks again!

If you don't any personal financial evidence showing you will not become a public charge and especially if you're on a student visa, it's good to have it as a back up document.

If you don't any personal financial evidence showing you will not become a public charge and especially if you're on a student visa, it's good to have it as a back up document.

Thanks Mom!

Any advice on this - On i-765 it asks for previous employment authorizations. I have had OPT before, 5 years ago, but can't remember the previous USCIS office or the date, any tips?

Thanks a bunch mom!

Thanks Mom!

Any advice on this - On i-765 it asks for previous employment authorizations. I have had OPT before, 5 years ago, but can't remember the previous USCIS office or the date, any tips?

Thanks a bunch mom!

Leave it blank if you can't remember.

Thanks mom but when I check online this is a common question is all H1B, J1 visa applications. Most chemists writes "yes" for this and wrote the educational experience. I did the same do you think this is enough. "I HAVE A PH.D IN CHEMISTRY. IN MY PH.D I WAS INVOLVED IN ANTIBIOTIC DELIVERY AND USE OF SUGARS TO TARGET E.COLI AND MYCOBACTERIA. IRON OXIDE, SILICON DIOXIDE BASED NANOMATERIALS WERE USED AS CARRIER'S FOR ANTIBIOTICS AND SUGARS.FURTHERMORE I HAVE EXPERIANCE IN MAKING SOLAR CELLS USING CONDUCTIVE NANOFIBERS."

I mean this "nicely"... Are you NUTS????

Why on earth would you write all that? You aren't going for a job and they really are not going to understand what you wrote there, so all they are going to do is flag your case for someone to figure out whether you are someone to be afraid of. For goodness sake - re-read Mom's original reply - don't make it more complicated!!!!

Why on earth would you write all that? You aren't going for a job and they really are not going to understand what you wrote there, so all they are going to do is flag your case for someone to figure out whether you are someone to be afraid of. For goodness sake - re-read Mom's original reply - don't make it more complicated!!!!
I havent submitted DS 260 yet, but this question is a common question H1B, J1 applications. What are your opinion? If I say NO wouldnt that be a lie. I dont have chemical experience. Please I would like everyones opinion about this.

:) Yeah, I thought I made it clear enough, but when people decide to do things their way, I just simply say 'okay' :oops:

I havent submitted DS 260 yet, but this question is a common question H1B, J1 applications. What are your opinion? If I say NO wouldnt that be a lie. I dont have chemical experience. Please I would like everyones opinion about this.

Well, are you applying for a H1B or a J1 visa? Anyway at the end of the day, it's really your case, so your call regarding that :)

Well, are you applying for a H1B or a J1 visa? Anyway at the end of the day, it's really your case, so your call regarding that :)
Thanks mom, come to think of it its asks training. What I did was not a training, its studying. Its makes sense to answer NO

Next question is "Have you belonged to, contributed to, or worked for any professional, social, or charitable organization?" I have a paid membership for American Chemical Society. So should I answer Yes

Hi Mom, apology for not posting in right forum page. My wife studied in J1 visa in USA for 2 years, went back to home country nepal. She stayed in nepal for 21 months, went for further study in AUS/NZ . She got a dv2016 with cn AS20** and is worried about home country requirement. How does the 2 yr home country requirement effect her. She has send DS 260 and selected interview location in NZ.

Hi Mom, apology for not posting in right forum page. My wife studied in J1 visa in USA for 2 years, went back to home country nepal. She stayed in nepal for 21 months, went for further study in AUS/NZ . She got a dv2016 with cn AS20** and is worried about home country requirement. How does the 2 yr home country requirement effect her. She has send DS 260 and selected interview location in NZ.

According to this website http://www.immihelp.com/j1-visa/home-residency-requirement/ she cannot be issued an immigrant visa as she has not spent 2 years in her home country. Just being outside the U.S. for 2 years is not enough.

Extracts:

What is the restriction?
Those who are subject to HRR must stay for a cumulative period of at least two years in their home country. Until your satisfy HRR, you are still allowed to travel to the U.S., such as on B-1/B-2 visa. However, any time spent out of the home country will not be counted towards HRR. Until satisfying HRR, the following are not allowed:
  • In U.S.:
    • Change non-immigrant status to temporary work (H) or intracompany transferee (L);
    • File I-485 for adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident status (LPR)
  • Outside the U.S.:
    • Apply for a temporary work (H), intracompany transferee (L) or fiance (K) visa.
    • Receive an immigrant visa.
Where must I return?
In order to satisfy the HRR, you will have to spend two years in your country of last residence. It is not enough just to be outside the U.S. for two years. Therefore, for example, if you are from India, you can not spend two years in Canada to satisfy this requirement.

The 2 year home residency requirement is applicable to your wife. She's required to be physically present in Nepal for at least 2 years before she can be issued with a U.S. Visa:

Two-year Home-Country Physical Presence Requirement
When you agree to participate in an Exchange Visitor Program and your program falls under the conditions explained below, you will be subject to the two-year home-country physical presence (foreign residence) requirement. This means you will be required to return to your home country for two years at the end of your exchange visitor program. This requirement under immigration law is based on Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Restrictions - When you, as an exchange visitor are subject to the two-year home-country physical presence requirement, you must return to your home country for a cumulative total period of at least two years before you can do any of the following:
  • Change status while in the United States to the nonimmigrant categories of temporary worker (H) or intracompany transferee (L);
  • Adjust status while in the United States to immigrant visa/lawful permanent resident status (LPR);
  • Receive an immigrant visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate; or
  • Receive a temporary worker (H), intracompany transferee (L), or fiancé (K) visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/study-exchange/exchange.html

The 2 year residency requirement doesn't have to be consecutive, she's only short of 2 years by 3 months. If she's able to take some time off her studies, she can make up the remaining months before her interview. Again, those 3 months do not have to be consecutive, but she will need to keep a very good and accurate record of her time in Nepal.

The alternative would be to file a waiver which I don't think is prudent considering she's only 3 months short of meeting the requirement.

Thank you very much mom. I doubt she can go to her home country at this time. How can she apply for a waiver and if she is unable to go to home country because of her study commitments . If she can bring the waiver from her home country, will it be considered? What type of document does she need for waiver (from home country).

Thank you very much mom. I doubt she can go to her home country at this time. How can she apply for a waiver and if she is unable to go to home country because of her study commitments . If she can bring the waiver from her home country, will it be considered? What type of document does she need for waiver (from home country).

Bear in mind though, not everyone is eligible for a waiver. However, if that's an option you guys want to explore, here's the link for the waiver process, the fee and the applicable form:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/study-exchange/student/residency-waiver.html

Hi Mom, we have submitted our DS-260 a couple of weeks ago and we would like to known when we can expect to receive the 2NL from the KCC? I've read the spreadsheet and cannot find a clear answer on the topic.

Bear in mind though, not everyone is eligible for a waiver. However, if that's an option you guys want to explore, here's the link for the waiver process, the fee and the applicable form:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/study-exchange/student/residency-waiver.html

If I'm reading correctly, the 5 bases seems like pretty high bars to meet? I don't see studying elsewhere as being good enough?
http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...nge/student/residency-waiver/eligibility.html

.77sam, when does she finish her studies?

Hi Mom, we have submitted our DS-260 a couple of weeks ago and we would like to known when we can expect to receive the 2NL from the KCC? I've read the spreadsheet and cannot find a clear answer on the topic.

AOS 2NL could take anywhere between 2 weeks - 12 weeks from the date of the DS-260 form submission.