• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

Yep, it does. If he becomes current and it will work in the end, I'd certainly be happy for him. Even though, doubling ones chances of winning certainly qualifies for "gaining relative advantage" in my book...

Yeah, but as we have also discussed, the disadvantage suffered by limited countries is not something well understood - and I would put money on 95% of CO's not having a clue it even happens.

Yeah, but as we have also discussed, the disadvantage suffered by limited countries is not something well understood - and I would put money on 95% of CO's not having a clue it even happens.
As we all know, history is full of good examples where folks benefitted in some way or other from an acute lack of knowledge - why not in our times and why not as part of DV... :) As long as it is not resulting from intentional bending of rules...

Hellow SUSIE I am in new York already but I have some question, is there a deadline to pay for green card SCIS I mean that $165,

Your effective deadline is about ten months after landing as your temporary green card (endorsed visa in your passport) is only valid for a year, but that is assuming green card production is normal and you get it within a couple of months . However there have been instances (like mine) where something goes wrong in production - it took me over 4 months to get my green card. You need to have proof of your LPR status. So I would say pushing it out beyond 6 months is risky.

OK you are "electing" her country of chargeability. This is called cross charging and has some "nuances" that may or may not be applied at the time of the interview. The 9FAM notes list some examples of cross charging. There is a lawyer (Bernie Wolfsdorf) who talks about cross charging to gain a benefit of better odds etc - but I have never found clarity in the rules that he says are possible.

As Susie mentioned above, IF the CO does the job right they should ask for education etc on both of you. Additionally they have to allow the elective cross charging. The rules say that this is normally not disqualifying if the applicant received no bnenefit (unlike a region change). However since Ukraine is limited it could be argued that you got a benefit in the draw.

9 FAM 42.33 N4.2 Chargeability (CT:VISA-1555; 09-30-2010) As stated in the regulatory definition, the normal rules of chargeability apply to INA 203(c) (8 U.S.C. 1153(c)) immigrants. Many applicants may seek beneficial treatment from the rules of cross chargeability, as in the following examples: (1) A spouse or child born in a country, which is not among those for which DV visas are available, may use the principal registrant’s chargeability when they are accompanying or following-to-join; (2) A child born in a non-qualifying country in which neither parent was born nor resident at the time of the child’s birth, may claim the birthplace of either parent; (3) A principal registrant born in a country, which is not among those for which DV visas are available, and the spouse who was born in a qualifying country, may be issued DV visas, provided the relationship was established prior to submitting the entry. In such instances, however, both applicants are considered principal applicants for the purpose of cross-chargeability and must be issued visas and apply for admission to the United States simultaneously.

Wow. Interesting. I understand that I increased my chances of winning now, but back then I just selected Georgia because I am Georgian, my parents are Georgians (both) and I grew up in Georgia :). It just so happened that I was born in Ukraine becuse my father was there in military services after university. It was USSR and military services usually were outside of native country so he was sent to Ukraine.

Well, I hope that cross-changeability applies to my case as well. My wife is also from Georgia and children are born here as well.
So it seems that I have even more troubles than I expected. Very interesting. I have quite high CN 40xxx and even more, have quite complicated case with country.
I will have to do my homework well in order to receive visa if I am invited to CO.

Thanks for the information. I will double check and renew all my documents.

P.S. And yes, my wife is also eligible of course. She has school + university degrees (Bachelor/Master)

Wow. Interesting. I understand that I increased my chances of winning now, but back then I just selected Georgia because I am Georgian, my parents are Georgians (both) and I grew up in Georgia :). It just so happened that I was born in Ukraine becuse my father was there in military services after university. It was USSR and military services usually were outside of native country so he was sent to Ukraine.

Well, I hope that cross-changeability applies to my case as well. My wife is also from Georgia and children are born here as well.
So it seems that I have even more troubles than I expected. Very interesting. I have quite high CN 40xxx and even more, have quite complicated case with country.
I will have to do my homework well in order to receive visa if I am invited to CO.

Thanks for the information. I will double check and renew all my documents.

P.S. And yes, my wife is also eligible of course. She has school + university degrees (Bachelor/Master)

OK - so in addition to the eligibilty through your wife, you could also build a case on the "missionary exception" which is to do with a child being born in a foreign country while the parents are temporarily in that country. This exception is described here:-

(e) Exception for alien born in foreign state in which neither parent was born or had residence at time of alien's birth. An alien who was born in a foreign state, as defined in section 40.1, in which neither parent was born, and in which neither parent had a residence at the time of the applicant's birth, may be charged to the foreign state of either parent as provided in INA 202(b)(4). The parents of such an alien are not considered as having acquired a residence within the meaning of INA 202(b)(4), if, at the time of the alien's birth within the foreign state, the parents were visiting temporarily or were stationed there in connection with the business or profession and under orders or instructions of an employer, principal, or superior authority foreign to such foreign state.

OK - so in addition to the eligibilty through your wife, you could also build a case on the "missionary exception" which is to do with a child being born in a foreign country while the parents are temporarily in that country. This exception is described here:-

(e) Exception for alien born in foreign state in which neither parent was born or had residence at time of alien's birth. An alien who was born in a foreign state, as defined in section 40.1, in which neither parent was born, and in which neither parent had a residence at the time of the applicant's birth, may be charged to the foreign state of either parent as provided in INA 202(b)(4). The parents of such an alien are not considered as having acquired a residence within the meaning of INA 202(b)(4), if, at the time of the alien's birth within the foreign state, the parents were visiting temporarily or were stationed there in connection with the business or profession and under orders or instructions of an employer, principal, or superior authority foreign to such foreign state.

Thank a lot!
I will do that as well. None of my parents are born in Ukraine.

Hi everybody .
Please inform me for an interview in Abu Dhabi embassy, where and when should I pay the visa fee? Is it possible at the embassy on the date of interview?

Your effective deadline is about ten months after landing as your temporary green card (endorsed visa in your passport) is only valid for a year, but that is assuming green card production is normal and you get it within a couple of months . However there have been instances (like mine) where something goes wrong in production - it took me over 4 months to get my green card. You need to have proof of your LPR status. So I would say pushing it out beyond 6 months is risky.
Thank u very much I was scared of that.

Dear Britsimon, Sm1smom, SusieQQQ, Martin9 :
as usual i need your useful opinions :

my passport expiry date is 12, Jan., 2016 and i'm flying to USA on 11,July,2015.
if i want to change my passport, will it be ok when arriving in USA airport ?
I asked USA embassy in Abudhabi they said it would be ok to do so
but I've heard the immigration officer in airport may not accept this.
as Iran doesn't have any embassy in USA , I prefer to change it here but if it will cause a problem for my entrance
i don't want to do it.
please give any information u have and your valuable opinion as usual
thanks alot

Dear Britsimon, Sm1smom, SusieQQQ, Martin9 :
as usual i need your useful opinions :

my passport expiry date is 12, Jan., 2016 and i'm flying to USA on 11,July,2015.
if i want to change my passport, will it be ok when arriving in USA airport ?
I asked USA embassy in Abudhabi they said it would be ok to do so
but I've heard the immigration officer in airport may not accept this.
as Iran doesn't have any embassy in USA , I prefer to change it here but if it will cause a problem for my entrance
i don't want to do it.
please give any information u have and your valuable opinion as usual
thanks alot
It shouldn't cause you any issues. You have been issued with the visa already, and I take it the Iranian Government will let you keep the old passport after it has been cancelled, so that should be fine. This is not uncommon. The immigration officer can not refuse you entry as the visa is still valid, regardless of the passport you are travelling on at that time.
The bit you may need to be sure about, is if the airline is willing to accept it. Legally they must, but some may not know the law or cause you enough delay to miss your flight, so better get head that off before you turn up at the airport. I.e. get a letter or email from the Embassy and contact the airline you are going to use ahead of the time to remove any doubt.

It shouldn't cause you any issues. You have been issued with the visa already, and I take it the Iranian Government will let you keep the old passport after it has been cancelled, so that should be fine. This is not uncommon. The immigration officer can not refuse you entry as the visa is still valid, regardless of the passport you are travelling on at that time.
The bit you may need to be sure about, is if the airline is willing to accept it. Legally they must, but some may not know the law or cause you enough delay to miss your flight, so better get head that off before you turn up at the airport. I.e. get a letter or email from the Embassy and contact the airline you are going to use ahead of the time to remove any doubt.
Thx dear Martin9
Actually it happened to me once we were flying to Spain by Lufthansa and still 10 months to expiry date but they told me I had to change me passport before traveling .
I may fly by Lufthansa or Qatar airways this time but I'm not sure how they will react about this :D
Again thanks a lot . I will contact the airline and embassy and will let u now what has happened.

Thx dear Martin9
Actually it happened to me once we were flying to Spain by Lufthansa and still 10 months to expiry date but they told me I had to change me passport before traveling .
I may fly by Lufthansa or Qatar airways this time but I'm not sure how they will react about this :D
Again thanks a lot . I will contact the airline and embassy and will let u now what has happened.

Spain may have different requirements about passport validity. I have had a situation before where I was traveling to the U.S. and my passport validity was fine for the U.S. but because we were transiting a European country, even though we did not leave the airport, I had to get a new passport to meet the European country's stricter validity requirements.

I have never had a problem showing a valid visa in an expired passport along with current valid passport. Have travelled a number of times like this to the U.S. and elsewhere.

Spain may have different requirements about passport validity. I have had a situation before where I was traveling to the U.S. and my passport validity was fine for the U.S. but because we were transiting a European country, even though we did not leave the airport, I had to get a new passport to meet the European country's stricter validity requirements.

I have never had a problem showing a valid visa in an expired passport along with current valid passport. Have travelled a number of times like this to the U.S. and elsewhere.
I'm really proud to have such helpful friends in this forum.
Thank you so much for your response and kind guidance.
Now I will change my passport before traveling with no anxiety.
Thank you thank you thank you

Susie how have u bean? I found that life in Philadelphia is cool for me and I used new York address some one talled Me that I can not shift until six month has elapsed to the previous address is this true? And what if I found a job in philly? Your advise please and how do I contact immigration office for the change of address

Susie how have u bean? I found that life in Philadelphia is cool for me and I used new York address some one talled Me that I can not shift until six month has elapsed to the previous address is this true? And what if I found a job in philly? Your advise please and how do I contact immigration office for the change of address

I'm good thanks :) glad you enjoying Philly!
Who said you can't move?!! Of course you can. You just need to inform uscis of the change of address within ten days - Google for change of address online form for uscis. (Sorry on cell now)

I'm good thanks :) glad you enjoying Philly!
Who said you can't move?!! Of course you can. You just need to inform uscis of the change of address within ten days - Google for change of address online form for uscis. (Sorry on cell now)
Thank u Sussie I think that is what I should do then. Bless u