Want to go to India for 2 years

Gitesh

Hi,

We got family green card visa and entered in US before 15 days. We got SSN but still didn't receive physical green card.

1. How can we (whole family) go back to India for 2 years? Which reentry application should be filed?
2. Can we file this reentry application before receiving physical green card?

File form I-131, application for a travel document, and specify on the application that you want to apply for a reentry permit. The application normally requires copies of your green card(s). You can instead give copies of your passport(s) showing the bio page(s) and stamped visa page(s) proving permanent residency.

Note however a few things:
  • If you are between the ages of 14 and 79 years, you will need to get your fingerprints taken, and this must be done within the USA.
  • You need a US mailing address to receive the reentry permit(s).
  • Similarly, if you leave before receiving your green card(s), you need a US mailing address to receive the green card(s). Without the green card(s) you can't reenter the US after one year.
While you are technically allowed to apply for a reentry permit from outside the USA, the above difficulties in practice mean that few people try to apply from outside the USA. Similarly, while you are technically allowed to apply before receiving your physical green card, it's highly unusual to do so, and your application may be questioned.

Finally, note that a reentry permit is valid for a maximum of two years. You will not be able to remain outside the USA for two years on a reentry permit unless you leave on the exact date that it is issued and return on the exact date that it expires. You can apply for a second reentry permit after the first one expires, but you'll have to return to the USA to do so.

Last edited:
Hi Harry,

First of kindly accept my appreciation for providing quick respond and perfect addressing to my queries. Sorry to bother you for raising another queries. Where I need to submit I-131 form? and How much time it will take for providing biometric examination and re-entry permit. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Hi Harry,

Got all things except one. How to pay fees? Does online paying facility available? Or I need to pay using check only with papers while applying. I check website but didn't find proper answer for same. Thanks a lot and appreciating your great help.

Hi,

Thanks a lot. We applied. How to check online status of i-131 process? We didn't get physical green card yet. Can we check it online too?