• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

@sihamey it is my only big concern too... I didn't got experienced one on this issue . my middle name has spelling error & it is imposible to adjust on Legal office. just waiting my interview God will help us!
@gere and @sihamey I think the single spelling error will not cause a problem. If I remember correctly there was an experience who had an interview with this kind of error in the ESLCE certificate. Bytheway, when will be your interview? Wish you good luck in your interview and you will share your experience.

hey guys my my friend won dv 2016 what is the first step that we have to do we just saw it now

and what is ds 260

You, or your friend should carefully read and follow the instructions on the selectee's' letter, and be sure to click on the links contained in the letter.

Asking for what the DS260 is, is a clear indication the selectee letter hasn't be properly read. You and your friend would be better off by carefully reading the letter to start with.

and what is ds 260

Welcome @nasa, you are the first we heard of representing DV2016 selectee.
In addition to the advises you get above, I think your friend should visit one of those Internet Cafes who are "professional" in filling the DS260 carefully. If you are in Addis, for example, you can go to the main Post Office or to Internet Cafes around the Embassy.

Dear all
Right now i just checked my USCIS and ELIS account , and when i click "view my case" found the following
-On case status life cycle :
-Optimized
- On case summary :
-status ...in process
-Status date... may 26,2015
-payment ......Submitted
-On status details : "in process "

i have no idea what's all mean, besides i really like to know how i am able to see the delivery address on the system , hope @ZGREAT got something to say on this.
Thanks in advance

Well gone @rolex123 :) . About the delivery address , I see the address I gave them generated automatically and written as 'c/o ' on the payment receipt . I believe that suffices for now .

Hi Friends

I came to US wih my wife and 2 kids; we changed our address in US at the airport(immigration). The person asked me to crosss our the previous address and write the new one. The thing is she has given me my wife's envelop and I changed the address. Since she is the winner I thought it would suffice her address change which could cascade to ours.

Now, my wife's green card came at the 2nd address and our 2 kids' came at the 1st address (unchaged one). Mine disappeared.

We have gone to the social security office after 1 month and filled a new one. We will expect it within 2 weeks.

Lesson 1: change the address in all the envelops at the entrace in US.
Lesson 2: Go to the social security office as soon as you entered in US and fill form (Apply!)
Lesson 3: Read this forum and apply what you read.

Qn: Ones we receive the Plastic Green Card, is it a must to stay and work in the US to keep the Green Card valid? Or is it possible to get employed in another country (say in Abu Dhabi), pay tax to the US government and maintain the Green Card valid. Please refer me to any site where I can read more about such rules. I know that American citizens employed any where worldwide are obliged to pay tax to the US government. Thank you

Qn: Ones we receive the Plastic Green Card, is it a must to stay and work in the US to keep the Green Card valid? Or is it possible to get employed in another country (say in Abu Dhabi), pay tax to the US government and maintain the Green Card valid. Please refer me to any site where I can read more about such rules. I know that American citizens employed any where worldwide are obliged to pay tax to the US government. Thank you

If you have a green card you are obliged to pay tax to the U.S. government too, not doing so is one of the immediate factors they look at to see if you have abandoned residency. This applies no matter where you are so for example for those who activate their visas, go home to save up a bit then move back - you are obliged to file with the IRS for all the time you held a green card, including when you were outside the U.S.
However it needs to be more than that. Moving to another country to take up employment, unless you are (basically) sent there by the U.S. government or one of its agencies, will also mean you will be deemed to have abandoned residence. Basically, to cut a long story short, you can't keep your green card valid unless you spend most of your time living in the U.S.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

Yes, living and working in the U.S. is a MUST for any GC holder who wishes to retain their LPR status. The GC is not a super-visa equivalent, so simply paying taxes to the U.S. government while living and working elsewhere is not enough to meet the LPR status requirements. The GC is intended for people who wish to live and work in the U.S.

"You must maintain your permanent resident status if you want to live and work in the United States and become a U.S. citizen one day."

"Don’t leave the United States for an extended period of time or move to another country to live there permanently." - working in Abu Dhabi in the instance described above more or less equates to living permanently in another country (of course there are few exemptions where working in another country doesn't equate to abandoning US residency).

"Permanent residents who leave the United States for extended periods, or who cannot show their intent to live permanently in the U.S., may lose their permanent resident status. Many immigrants believe they can live abroad as long as they return to the U.S. at least once a year. This is incorrect"
Read more about the rights and responsibilities of a new permanent resident from page 8 of the New Guide for New Immigrants issued by USCIS

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf

If you have a green card you are obliged to pay tax to the U.S. government too, not doing so is one of the immediate factors they look at to see if you have abandoned residency. This applies no matter where you are so for example for those who activate their visas, go home to save up a bit then move back - you are obliged to file with the IRS for all the time you held a green card, including when you were outside the U.S.
However it needs to be more than that. Moving to another country to take up employment, unless you are (basically) sent there by the U.S. government or one of its agencies, will also mean you will be deemed to have abandoned residence. Basically, to cut a long story short, you can't keep your green card valid unless you spend most of your time living in the U.S.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence
Yes, living and working in the U.S. is a MUST for any GC holder who wishes to retain their LPR status. The GC is not a super-visa equivalent, so simply paying taxes to the U.S. government while living and working elsewhere is not enough to meet the LPR status requirements. The GC is intended for people who wish to live and work in the U.S.

"You must maintain your permanent resident status if you want to live and work in the United States and become a U.S. citizen one day."

"Don’t leave the United States for an extended period of time or move to another country to live there permanently." - working in Abu Dhabi in the instance described above more or less equates to living permanently in another country (of course there are few exemptions where working in another country doesn't equate to abandoning US residency).

"Permanent residents who leave the United States for extended periods, or who cannot show their intent to live permanently in the U.S., may lose their permanent resident status. Many immigrants believe they can live abroad as long as they return to the U.S. at least once a year. This is incorrect"
Read more about the rights and responsibilities of a new permanent resident from page 8 of the New Guide for New Immigrants issued by USCIS

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf
Crystal clear! @SusieQQQ, @Sm1smom thank you very much for your fast reply.