Working as a Flight Attendant Overseas

Vic Perlas

Hello Everyone,

My wife is a green card holder by marriage to me for a little over 2 years now. The green card expires in 10 years. She used to be a flight attendant with an international airline in the Middle East. She just recently applied to rejoin the airline and was accepted. She will now be based out of the United States but will keep her residence with me in the US. This airline does fly to the United States but since she is starting over again...it will probably take more than a year to get assigned to a US flight. We need your opinion on the following....

1. We were advised to complete an I-131 re-entry permit to be able to leave the country for 2 years.
Q: Does this include employment outside of US?
Q: What happens if she flies to the US after a year overseas during one of her flight as a stewardess, does
the re-entry permit becomes invalid? or does she even have to show the re-entry permit?
Q: Can we also submit Form N-470 together with the I-131?
Q: What happens after 2 years? Does she need to reapply for an extension?

2. What happens if she don't apply for a re-entry permit?
3. Any other options??

We appreciate any comments and suggestions regarding our situation.

Thanks,
Vic

Yes, the re-entry permit will let her stay out of the country for 2 years (usually longer, as they take a while to issue it). With it she can enter the US as many times a she like while it is valid, and it will not be invalidated. The N470 is a separate application for which she will have to qualify. After two years, she can apply for a new one but she must be in the US to do so. Without one, she could be hassled at immigration eventually. The permit proves her intent to maintain ties with the US. Without the N470, she will not be maintaining continuous residence for naturalisation purposes.