Car registration

Hello Mister

Hi Experts...registered my car today in the US. They kept the Canadian title with themselves and told me I will get the US title in mail soon.

Q I have is...do i need to inform the Canadian province that my car is not going to be registered with them anymore OR will they automatically find it? Secondly, should I try to claim some refund from the DMV in Canada for the months I wont have the car registered there BUT have already paid them the plate fee?

thank you

Each province has differnt rules on reimbursemt of "unused" plate fees, so contact them. But the title itself is meaningless to the provinces.

Make sure you also get your state driver's license, as TNers are required to get DL within 30 days of getting a place to live.

Hello Mister,

Do you mind sharing the car registration process for Canadian cars in the US for the benefit of those on the forum that migt be in the similar situation? I for one would appreciate the information, since soon will be going down that route.

Thanks in advance for your response.

sure thing...so different states have different processes to register vehicles. In my case, the state that i am in required the following:
1. Get the state drivers license --> pre-requisite to actually registering the vehicle
2. Once step-1 is done, fill out couple of (simple) forms indicating your name, US address, lien information (if any), place of vehicle purchase
3. Call up your car manufacturer's Canada office and have them email/fax/mail you a letter confirming that your vehicle meets the required standards for registration in the US (generally they just email the letter and you can print it). Not sure if every state requires it or not but best to err on the side of caution
4. Visit the closest DMV with the proof of Canadian title, US insurance, completed forms and car conformance letter, pay the required fees. For me, this process literally took minutes after 1/2/3 above were done

Note that some states might require you to get your vehicle inspected before allowing you to register. In my case, the US state that I am in allows for registration of out-of-state/Canadian vehicles without initial inspection, however, after that a yearly inspection is required (not just for me but for all vehicles operating in the state)

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.

One thing that you don't seem to have done is actually import the car into US -- federally . You need to do this first, in most states, before being allowed to register it. And you need to import it anyways, regardless.

Hi Nelsona...my state didnt ask for anything in this regard...they simply accepted all my docs and gave me the state license plate. Hmm...let me do some more research on this. Would you happen to have a link showing the process to import federally?

I did find this link: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...-/-non-conforming-vehicle-or-car-into-the-u.s. , however, the letter i got from manufacturer confirmed conformance to US standards (perhaps thats why the local state DMV didnt have any issue)? Just thinking out loud....

would you might sharing the rough cost involved in getting this done? And what make, year was your car and which state in the US did you move to?

thanks

would you might sharing the rough cost involved in getting this done? And what make, year was your car and which state in the US did you move to?

thanks
Ever state is different my girlfriend had to pay about a grand to register her car they took what the car value is and payed 7% state tax and that was in Georgia so it all depends what state and how much your car is worth

thats correct. I registered mine in NC...they didnt charge any state tax but the first time registration fee was ~USD200 and the yearly fee moving fwd will be ~USD350 (county dependent)

Most provinces do not issue a "tiltle", so you need to show them the last registration and hope they accept this.

Most provinces do not issue a "tiltle", so you need to show them the last registration and hope they accept this.
Yes Nelsona, that's why I was asking, I searched a bit, google said only NS has so-called title, in other provinces we can only get the registration. Thanks Nelsona for the quick and accurate response.