• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

Our Number 2015AF70*** appears pretty risky at this point....but if by any blessing we become current in Sept, a realistic option seems to be the CP option since my wife is not in the US and she is the principal applicant. Now here are my concerns:
1) I have been in the US for 4 years but I go home every year for a month, do I need to get any documents from any authorities here (such as background check, health records, taxes)?
2) I have about two semesters to complete my PhD program and I have been doing part time authorized work (via CPT) for about 2 years now. Can I use my tax returns to make a case that we will not be a public charge or will I need a formal job offer from my employer?
Thanks

Our Number 2015AF70*** appears pretty risky at this point....but if by any blessing we become current in Sept, a realistic option seems to be the CP option since my wife is not in the US and she is the principal applicant. Now here are my concerns:
1) I have been in the US for 4 years but I go home every year for a month, do I need to get any documents from any authorities here (such as background check, health records, taxes)?
2) I have about two semesters to complete my PhD program and I have been doing part time authorized work (via CPT) for about 2 years now. Can I use my tax returns to make a case that we will not be a public charge or will I need a formal job offer from my employer?
Thanks

Yes if the CN becomes current, the right thing to do would be to process CP

1. No
2. You may try and present a W2, a formal employment letter would carry more weight though IMO

Hi ,

I'm a DV-2015 lottery winner.

I have a few questions about the documents I need for the interview.
I just got the invitation and my interview will be in July. I have read contradicting information on should I have bank statements to prove how much money I have in my account and also to show the activity on my bank account from the past 12 months.

The thing is that I don't have any savings. I've been mainly out of paid work for the past year. Before that I was in school. I have been on the dole during this time.

I can put enough money onto my account to show it in the interview, as I have friends who are willing to lend me the sum. If I get the visa, I will obviously start saving and working anywhere, and then when I've saved enough, I will move to the USA. I have understood that I have 1 year time to get there from the time the visa is granted, which is more than enough time for me to save the needed amount before moving.

But if I need to show my bank details from the past 12 months in the interview, obviously it will show that I just lent the money before the interview rather than saved it during a long period of time. I don't see any reason why this would be a problem, but I'm worried about not getting the Visa because of being unemployed and because I've been on the dole. Do these things matter if I fill all the actual requirements?

I found no mention of any bank statement requirements on the official Visa web pages, however on some forums I have read about people having to show their bank statements. This is why I'm baffled.. I only received the interview invitation from KCC and I'm still waiting for the invitation letter (will have it in about a week). So, I'm guessing that in that letter there must be the instructions again about the needed documents and also the bank statement requirement, if it's needed. Other option is that maybe they don't check the bank account details in the interview but rather when one arrives/actually moves to the USA?

Thank you so much for any help in advance!! I really appreciate any advise or sharing of experiences. I really don't want to miss my chance of getting this visa and I'm so worried I'll ruin my chances by making an error.

Best regards,

Mirri

Hi ,

I'm a DV-2015 lottery winner.

I have a few questions about the documents I need for the interview.
I just got the invitation and my interview will be in July. I have read contradicting information on should I have bank statements to prove how much money I have in my account and also to show the activity on my bank account from the past 12 months.

The thing is that I don't have any savings. I've been mainly out of paid work for the past year. Before that I was in school. I have been on the dole during this time.

I can put enough money onto my account to show it in the interview, as I have friends who are willing to lend me the sum. If I get the visa, I will obviously start saving and working anywhere, and then when I've saved enough, I will move to the USA. I have understood that I have 1 year time to get there from the time the visa is granted, which is more than enough time for me to save the needed amount before moving.

But if I need to show my bank details from the past 12 months in the interview, obviously it will show that I just lent the money before the interview rather than saved it during a long period of time. I don't see any reason why this would be a problem, but I'm worried about not getting the Visa because of being unemployed and because I've been on the dole. Do these things matter if I fill all the actual requirements?

I found no mention of any bank statement requirements on the official Visa web pages, however on some forums I have read about people having to show their bank statements. This is why I'm baffled.. I only received the interview invitation from KCC and I'm still waiting for the invitation letter (will have it in about a week). So, I'm guessing that in that letter there must be the instructions again about the needed documents and also the bank statement requirement, if it's needed. Other option is that maybe they don't check the bank account details in the interview but rather when one arrives/actually moves to the USA?

Thank you so much for any help in advance!! I really appreciate any advise or sharing of experiences. I really don't want to miss my chance of getting this visa and I'm so worried I'll ruin my chances by making an error.

Best regards,

Mirri

Hi,
Firstly, I assume you are interviewing at a consulate so this question is actually in the wrong thread.
You will need to at least have landed in the U.S. before the visa expires, which will be a maximum of 6 months (not a year) from the date of interview. After that you can leave and have up to a year to go back.
I'm afraid being on the dole actually may be a negative for you, as the interviewing officer will need to be satisfied you won't become a public charge before granting you a visa - so having been a public charge in your own country, where presumably it is easier to find work than a foreign one, for the past year isn't a great sign... You may have some convincing to do.

Hi ,
My number is 126** Asia 2015 , do you think i still have a chance to have the interview , I am already in the US with a student visa all I need is adjust my status , so do you really think that my number will be current ? I can see the numbers for this year are too slow ,It is really frustrated .

Thank you,
If you are not from Nepal, you may have chance but not sure.

Hi,
Firstly, I assume you are interviewing at a consulate so this question is actually in the wrong thread.
You will need to at least have landed in the U.S. before the visa expires, which will be a maximum of 6 months (not a year) from the date of interview. After that you can leave and have up to a year to go back.
I'm afraid being on the dole actually may be a negative for you, as the interviewing officer will need to be satisfied you won't become a public charge before granting you a visa - so having been a public charge in your own country, where presumably it is easier to find work than a foreign one, for the past year isn't a great sign... You may have some convincing to do.

OK thank you for the info! and sorry about the wrong thread.
I'm gonna try to get a job asap. Thing is that I'm an artist and there really isn't work in this field at the moment in my own country but I will look for anything.
So, is it OK to just land to the U.S inside that 6 months time and stay there, let's say a week, and then leave? And then come back before 1 year has passed? I feel like if I make this my plan and tell it in the interview, my current money situation shouldn't be a problem because then I will have the time to save enough..?

Sorry about all the questions but all this is so new to me. I've heard that sometimes in the interview they don't even ask things but just check that you have all the documents and then sometimes you do have to explain everything.. Does one have to really convince the interviewer about how much they want the visa and are willing to work and save money to be able to move or do things like that matter? I'm gonna try and look for the right thread for my questions also.

Thank you again so much

OK thank you for the info! and sorry about the wrong thread.
I'm gonna try to get a job asap. Thing is that I'm an artist and there really isn't work in this field at the moment in my own country but I will look for anything.
So, is it OK to just land to the U.S inside that 6 months time and stay there, let's say a week, and then leave? And then come back before 1 year has passed? I feel like if I make this my plan and tell it in the interview, my current money situation shouldn't be a problem because then I will have the time to save enough..?

Sorry about all the questions but all this is so new to me. I've heard that sometimes in the interview they don't even ask things but just check that you have all the documents and then sometimes you do have to explain everything.. Does one have to really convince the interviewer about how much they want the visa and are willing to work and save money to be able to move or do things like that matter? I'm gonna try and look for the right thread for my questions also.

Thank you again so much

The mods moved this to an appropriate thread.

You don't need to convince them how much you want the visa, if you're at the interview they assume you do. However by law they cannot issue a visa if they are not satisfied the person won't become a public charge. There are many ways to look at this depending on age, qualifications, experience, if you have a host or someone who fills in an affidavit of support from the U.S., etc. That is why you don't find a single guideline anywhere. Many people report that one of the questions they are asked is what work they have been doing.
As an aside I find it kind of odd that you say you are now "willing to work" which implies you could have been working all along if you really wanted to. I know some countries welfare systems encourage this kind of attitude but the U.S. doesn't work like this, there you are expected to go out and find work even if it doesn't match what you really want to do, and your interviewing officer will be American. So you will need to think very carefully about how yo approach this.

The mods moved this to an appropriate thread.

You don't need to convince them how much you want the visa, if you're at the interview they assume you do. However by law they cannot issue a visa if they are not satisfied the person won't become a public charge. There are many ways to look at this depending on age, qualifications, experience, if you have a host or someone who fills in an affidavit of support from the U.S., etc. That is why you don't find a single guideline anywhere. Many people report that one of the questions they are asked is what work they have been doing.
As an aside I find it kind of odd that you say you are now "willing to work" which implies you could have been working all along if you really wanted to. I know some countries welfare systems encourage this kind of attitude but the U.S. doesn't work like this, there you are expected to go out and find work even if it doesn't match what you really want to do, and your interviewing officer will be American. So you will need to think very carefully about how yo approach this.

Hi, and thank you again for the help!

I have been trying to find any work over this past year even though it hasn't matched my education. Sometimes I've been more active and sometimes less. Here the unemployment officers have encouraged me to only take on work that's in my field of education though, and to stay on the dole rather than work any other job, and that's the reason I haven't started doing just any job so far. I've been doing many projects during this past year for free though, so it's not like I'm not active. Of course if I move to the U.S I know that I don't have the same rights as here and I would never try to get onto the unemployment dole there. So, I would absolutely work "any job" just to be able to maintain myself and to hopefully be able to study part time on the side.. That's my dream.

I'm a healthy person and I absolutely hate being unemployed..it's not something I'm proud of at all, but here it's more acceptable when one is in the field of arts, etc. where there are no paid jobs around.. Also I've had the problem of nobody hiring me even for a cleaning job (which I would be happy to do and have a lot of experience in) because of my education doesn't match it. Here the employers are scared that once the employee finds a job that matches their education they will leave the job (etc.cleaning) so they rather employ somebody with no other education..It's very tricky.

I think moving to the U.S would be such a great opportunity for me in every aspect of my life and also for finding work.

Even though I think this might be (and probably is) the wrong thread, I'll ask anyway: I've got my visa this week. now I'm planing on applying for some jobs from over here (EU) in hope that I can land a job before I get to the US. Would it be OK if I write on my resume something like: Legal status: LPR - green card holder, so that the person reading my resume knows right away that I don't need a visa sponsor or something like that?!

Here the unemployment officers have encouraged me to only take on work that's in my field of education though, and to stay on the dole rather than work any other job, and that's the reason I haven't started doing just any job so far.

:eek: Just...wow. I'm guessing your country either has or soon will have a major problem with its fiscus...

Anyway, good luck with the interview, hope you are successful.

Even though I think this might be (and probably is) the wrong thread, I'll ask anyway: I've got my visa this week. now I'm planing on applying for some jobs from over here (EU) in hope that I can land a job before I get to the US. Would it be OK if I write on my resume something like: Legal status: LPR - green card holder, so that the person reading my resume knows right away that I don't need a visa sponsor or something like that?!

It's technically false, as you are not a LPR until you land.

It's technically false, as you are not a LPR until you land.
I know that, but would it be ilegal to put that sentence on a resume??? I mean could I get intro trouble for that? The only reason for that sentence would be to show a potential employer that I don't need a h1b visa or visa sponsor. that's all.

I know that, but would it be ilegal to put that sentence on a resume??? I mean could I get intro trouble for that? The only reason for that sentence would be to show a potential employer that I don't need a h1b visa or visa sponsor. that's all.

You should explain it truthfully - that you will have right to work and don't need visa sponsorship.
Many companies do background checks before hiring employees. You don't want to be flagged for false statements on a CV. I mean, to be honest chances are you won't get a job from Europe unless you're particularly niche or particularly skilled, but why take the risk of having a flag by both the employer and the company that does the background checks?

:eek: Just...wow. I'm guessing your country either has or soon will have a major problem with its fiscus...

Anyway, good luck with the interview, hope you are successful.

Hi, yes, it's a constant debate here which option is psychologically better for a person in the long run. Many people work for free (receiving the dole) in order to get the right contacts and reputation in their field of work and then finally they will hopefully get employed in that field. Other option is to work "any job" and not have time or energy to try and move ahead in the field of work one really wants to do. Third option is to change career and study an other profession (studying is free here).

But yes, thank you so much for the help and wishes :) !!

dear friends
we are planning to go Pennsylvania in mid. June.
my question is:
if we first go to LA for one week (to see a close friend) then fly to PA,
is it ok to apply for Social No. in LA ?
i mean we are going to live in PA and our address for green card is there
but to stop losing time we want to apply for social no. when we are in LA then after one week fly to PA.
I've heard social no. is necessary for everything so i don't want to lose time because want to open bank account, driving licence, insurance, ...........

Hi ,
My number is 126** Asia 2015 , do you think i still have a chance to have the interview , I am already in the US with a student visa all I need is adjust my status , so do you really think that my number will be current ? I can see the numbers for this year are too slow ,It is really frustrated .

Thank you,
As of right now the chance is quite small for that number to be current. If it becomes current, it will be for September. I do not know much about Adjustment of Status, however I've heard that is not as straight forward as Consular Processing, which can be very critical in the last month of the fiscal year.