What happens if I abandon my H1B petition?

adinutzyc21

I know this is a strange question, but by the end of next month I will probably (hopefully!) get a green card and not need to go through with the H1B. I really do hope that if I abandon my petition my spot will get taken by someone else, and if so, I was wondering of there was any way to influence who that person was (a friend who missed both his chances and is kind of desperate)...

Thanks!

I know this is a strange question, but by the end of next month I will probably (hopefully!) get a green card and not need to go through with the H1B. I really do hope that if I abandon my petition my spot will get taken by someone else, and if so, I was wondering of there was any way to influence who that person was (a friend who missed both his chances and is kind of desperate)...

Thanks!

No you cannot donate your spot directly - and to be clear it isn't your spot - the spot is allocated to your sponsoring company (so they may still be able to use it)

For what it's worth, it seems like it's not my company's spot, but rather USCIS has selected wait-list applicants that will get it. So yeah, someone gets to use it, but the chances of that someone being the person I wanted to give it to have dropped to absolute zero.. Well, at least someone gets to use it :)