• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

Dears, my wife is a DV winner and her CN is AF2015 25xxx (Egypt)and it is expected to be current in July, and i have a valid B1-B2 visa so i had an idea to travel to US and visit some friends from different states to see which state will be more suitable for us in case that we will get the green card and contact some companies which have send me some job offers before but unfortunately the CBP officer didn't allow to inter the US as i didn't have the right type of visa and asked me to withdraw my visa and go home and he said that i can apply for another visa any time and that will be instead of cancelling my visa and in this case i will not be able to apply for visa for 5 years. so please advise shall i move on in the interview preparations or i consider that i have lost this opportunity?

I agree with mom, sounds like you were denied entry for having (or the cbp officer thinking you have) immigrant intent, that will not be a problem with applying for an immigrant visa.

Dear everybody
A miracle happened.

I just got our visa right now (of course mine+my son, my husband still AP)
Why miracle ?
Because I'm from Iran, My job field is in oil&gas and have Msc in chem and cleared in just 21 days
Ofcourse my husband has been served in miliatery service and still inder AP
So we will wait for his clearance then move to "The Land of Golden Dreams"
Thanks a lot to :

Dear Britsimon, dear Martin9, dear Susie qqq, dear Sm1smom
Also my dear friends utopia & behdadk

That is awesome news. Fingers crossed your hubby is cleared soon!

Congratulations Laleh. Very well done. Hopefully your husband will clear soon. Have a wonderful life and I trust you be happy here.
21 days is pretty quick for Iran, do you know from your Iranian Forum if the clearance rate is better than last year or not? It may impact the ROA.

Best wishes
Martin
Thank you
Actually comparing to dv2014 , dv2015 is much better
In abudhabi and Yerevan most clear between 2.5-3 months (now those who have had interview in February are being cleared)
But in Ankara between 3-4 months( still some cases from December are being cleared)
But overall situation looks better than last year
And I feel really happy being cleared this much soon and got our visa .
now just waiting for my husband which I guess should wait till June
Again thank you

Hello everyone, I have a question that is nagging me: I am a university student, and in form DS-260, I mentioned that I will graduate by the end of the first term (January 2015) however I failed some of my exams and my graduation will be delayed until summer. Will this be a problem at the time of the interview?
Obviously I have a high school degree
Good day to all and thanks in advance

Awesome!! Congratulations. Sounds like you are heading for my area - I'll have the kettle on!

Glad to hear the two certificates advice from the forum helped. These are small details of having a complete case, but being properly prepared helps one avoid AP.

Passports & package received in just 4 days..................USCIS fees are paid also successfully.... will travel within 1 week......Thanks again..

my interview is in two weeks. the embassy requests that you need to confirm your interview date two weeks in advance, so I did that today. A short while after that I got an email from the consulate saying:

Please be prepared to submit at the time of the interview:
Proof of financial means (savings, stocks, bonds)

now, I already exchanged 10k to $ and have it in a safe deposit box. Do I need to open a bank account now and deposit the money into that account and get a papre showing that I have the funds or how else do I provide the proof? Thanks

my interview is in two weeks. the embassy requests that you need to confirm your interview date two weeks in advance, so I did that today. A short while after that I got an email from the consulate saying:

Please be prepared to submit at the time of the interview:
Proof of financial means (savings, stocks, bonds)

now, I already exchanged 10k to $ and have it in a safe deposit box. Do I need to open a bank account now and deposit the money into that account and get a papre showing that I have the funds or how else do I provide the proof? Thanks

Which embassy is that?

About the money - the normal thing would be to show that in an account in local currency - people would rarely convert money to dollars and stick that money in a safe deposit box in anticipation of getting the visa. I don't know how you can show that at this point given that you would not want to convert the money back to local currency.

It's the embassy in Austria.
Regarding the money...I changed euros to $ becuase of the $ getting stronger compared to the € and waiting would just mean loosing more money. I guess I'll have to call the bank and ask in what account I can deposit foreign currency. there must be a way to deposit foreign currency on some kind of account.

Which embassy is that?

About the money - the normal thing would be to show that in an account in local currency - people would rarely convert money to dollars and stick that money in a safe deposit box in anticipation of getting the visa. I don't know how you can show that at this point given that you would not want to convert the money back to local currency.
You could:
1. Take bank statements showing that those were your savings up to the date of withdrawal.
Receipts issued by the bank or forex agency when you bought the dollars.
3. take the risk of carrying some of the dollars in case you need to reinforce your explanation- crazy but worth the risk.
I have seen people accumulating a bit of money with their hosts as they await their interview but storage in a safe box is not common.

Last edited:
It's the embassy in Austria.
Regarding the money...I changed euros to $ becuase of the $ getting stronger compared to the € and waiting would just mean loosing more money. I guess I'll have to call the bank and ask in what account I can deposit foreign currency. there must be a way to deposit foreign currency on some kind of account.

Understood on the conversion rate. Banking is pretty advanced in Austria - so yeah - they will be able to provide a way to show the funds (either a bank account, or certificate of deposit, something similar. ). You should also keep records of the original withdrawal(s) as you might need to account for where this money came from at some point.

Hello everyone , I want to ask how to apply for "SSN" once i land in USA ?
Do i need to wait till i get my Green card issued and mailed to me ?
Thank you

Thank you

If you checked the box on your DS you should get it automatically, within 2 weeks, which will be well before you get yiur green card.

Thank you

The SSN is supposed to be automatically sent if you ticked the option for it on your DS form. However there have been reports of people who waited in vain and never got the card based on that. I would suggest you visit your nearest SSA office (a Google search should give you that) within a week or two of your arrival under the pretext of applying for a new SSN - fill out an application form, and take along your passport and birth certificate. Once they collect your information, they will let you know if an application is already in the system for you or not.

Good day to all members,
I have a question regarding my friend's mother, she was selected in DV-2015. A few years ago she applied for a B visa, and was asked to provide proof that she paid the hospital bills for when her son was born in the US some 15 years earlier. Sadly she didn't have those old bills, apparently she never thought she'd need them 15 years later when applying for a visa, and didn't get the B visa in the end.
So could this be a problem for her now?

The SSN is supposed to be automatically sent if you ticked the option for it on your DS form. However there have been reports of people who waited in vain and never got the card based on that. I would suggest you visit your nearest SSA office (a Google search should give you that) within a week or two of your arrival under the pretext of applying for a new SSN - fill out an application form, and take along your passport and birth certificate. Once they collect your information, they will let you know if an application is already in the system for you or not.
Thank you Sm1smom a lot for your assistance

hi guys, am from Liberia, Africa. My wife and son won the DV 2015 and i wasn't part of the original entry but got added since we married after she played. Right now we are really nervous since our number is AF00081XXX, which seem relatively high. Should we still be hopeful? And if so, when do we expect an interview?

hi guys, am from Liberia, Africa. My wife and son won the DV 2015 and i wasn't part of the original entry but got added since we married after she played. Right now we are really nervous since our number is AF00081XXX, which seem relatively high. Should we still be hopeful? And if so, when do we expect an interview?

Please stop posting the same message all over the forum, it's beginning to look like spamming. I understand you're worried and concerned about your case, however Susie already answered you back in February.

It is a high number. If you get an interview it would almost certainly be in September.

Nothing much you can do for now but to carry on with your life as normal while waiting and being hopeful.

Some inspiration here;
In 2011, the salary of one good lady Indra Nooyi of PepsiCo was 20,000kUSD!! twenty Million dollars.
WhatsApp' Yahoo, Pentium, Google....to name but a few were all started by guys who moved to America in this generation.
Here is the link, www.businessinsider.com/american-dream-immigrants-made-a-fortune-in-the-us

There is hope, real hope guys, all you need is to dream it and walk it to the destination.

Last edited: