• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Receiving the Green Card in The U.S

Hi everyone,

I won the Green Card thru the annual Lottery. In my case, I am still in my country of origin and I am waiting to pay the final fee for the Green Card to be sent to the American Address.

My question is about who can receive the Green Card envelope? Is it mandatory that I receive the envelope or someone else can? It is a really good friend of mine... but I was wondering if the Embassy needs me to be in the US to be the one receiving it. I was planning to pay the fee now but not travelling there until August

Thanks so so much!

The actual GC will not be produced/mailed out until after you've made your activation trip to the U.S. So even even if you make the payment now from your home country the GC will not be sent out unless they can see from the system that you've actually entered the U.S.

Now to answer your question in general, you don't have to be there in person to receive the card itself. Once produced, it will simply be mailed out and dropped in the mail box of the address you've provided, it will not be received in person.

Thanks for the fast response.

Just so I understand it, If my provisional visa expires August 9th and Im planning to go to the US August 1st. Is there any problem while I am in the US waiting for the Green Card to arrive (1 month or so right?) with and expire provisional visa?

Just so I understand it, If my provisional visa expires August 9th and Im planning to go to the US August 1st. Is there any problem while I am in the US waiting for the Green Card to arrive (1 month or so right?) with and expire provisional visa?

As long as you enter the U.S. before the visa expires, you're fine. Once you enter the U.S., that visa becomes a temporary GC and it will be valid for one year, regardless of the fact that the actual visa expires on August 9th.

Just to add to what mom said. Once you enter on an immigrant visa you become a LPR so the visa expiry date becomes meaningless - you no longer need any visa. You are immediately a "green card holder" even though your plastic green card hasn't arrived yet, as mom says your visa becomes a temporary GC for a year.

Just to add to what mom said. Once you enter on an immigrant visa you become a LPR so the visa expiry date becomes meaningless - you no longer need any visa. You are immediately a "green card holder" even though your plastic green card hasn't arrived yet, as mom says your visa becomes a temporary GC for a year.
Also, just to add further to the very helpful advice both ladies already gave you, Gonzalo: don't hold your breath while in the US for only short duration following activation, it will be rather unlikely for your plastic card to arrive by USPS in your mail box over that, presumably brief, time span. Yet, this will not be a problem for you in terms of your next DV US entry, as long as you follow previous advice provided in respect to temporary GC travel. PS: make sure your name is on the mail box.

" Do not travel outside USA before you have received your Permanent Resident Card" this is from http://travel.state.gov/ . Is that right?

Also I'm wondering if I have right to work before getting actual SSN card?

One can certainly travel before the plastic GC is received. You need to be more specific with your link as the one provided does not lead to the quote you posted above, which makes it difficult for us to determine the context in which that was made.

Regarding the SSN, you can take up employment if you know the number, even before the actual card is received. I doubt an employer will allow you to start working without the number as that is the information they need to e-Verify your employment eligibility.

Sorry, here is the link http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/pk 3 supplements/TBL - Tbilisi.pdf (In "After you have Received the Passport and the Visa Packet" section)
How and when I can know my SSN before receiving card?
Thanks

Oh I see what you mean. The only thing I can tell you is that some of the information on that document is not quite accurate. For instance, you see the section that says you get to hand over your x-ray with the packet the embassy gives you at the POE? That instruction isn't quite accurate as the x-ray will not be collected from you, it's your personal property, they no longer collect it at the POE :).

If you visit the nearest SSA office about a few days after your arrival (no less than 1 week, at least) under the pretense of applying for a new SSN, they may be willing to tell you what your SSN is before you receive the actual card in the mail.

Hi again,

Thanks for the useful information you guys gave me in this post. Trust me, you made my life easier.

I wanted to ask you if you knew any "cheap" health insurance for green card holders (does it make any difference if you a green card holder or a tourist for this?) while I am not employed. I just want to find an insurance that covers any injury while I find a job (I have a private insurance in Spain that can cover up to $10.000 for three months, but I guess it's not enough in the case of getting appendicitis)

Again, Thanks so so much!

I wanted to ask you if you knew any "cheap" health insurance for green card holders (does it make any difference if you a green card holder or a tourist for this?) while I am not employed.
You can go to your state's Obamacare health insurance exchange and buy one there.

Hi again,

Thanks for the useful information you guys gave me in this post. Trust me, you made my life easier.

I wanted to ask you if you knew any "cheap" health insurance for green card holders (does it make any difference if you a green card holder or a tourist for this?) while I am not employed. I just want to find an insurance that covers any injury while I find a job (I have a private insurance in Spain that can cover up to $10.000 for three months, but I guess it's not enough in the case of getting appendicitis)

Again, Thanks so so much!

I have been looking in to insurance like that over the last couple of months - to cover the period before an Obamacare policy would make sense (like an activation trip or on first arrival). Some information on that here:-

http://britsimonsays.com/health-insurance-for-new-immigrants/